Crazy insurance question - again!!

RCS

Currently on the annual premium hunt, and this is the definition from one insurer for 'modifications'

This is a cosmetic or performance change to the car away from the manufacturer's standard specification (including optional extras)

Including optional extras? So on a nicely spec'd Porsche they are going have nearly a page of stuff as virtually everything is an option?

Another insurer merely wants information on modifications made since the car was first registered - which to me is the obvious and correct definition.

Guest twinspark

Cosmetic or performance would include things like a factory upgrade from 18" to 20" wheels, for example.

Can't blame the insurers, as that's something which would impact the insurable risk.

I think you're reading it wrong. "(Including optional extras)" is a qualification of "manufactures standard specification" to include optional extras as part of the manufacturers standard specification. So a factory upgrade from 18" to 20" wheels would not be taking it away from manufactures standard specification and would not therefore be a modification.

If in doubt ask or declare the modification.

I think you're reading it wrong. "(Including optional extras)" is a qualification of "manufactures standard specification" to include optional extras as part of the manufacturers standard specification. So a factory upgrade from 18" to 20" wheels would not be taking it away from manufactures standard specification and would not therefore be a modification.

If in doubt ask or declare the modification.

Its not clear is it - I always make a appoint of ringing whoever I go with to go through the quote, and on this question I always say the vehicle is as made by the manufacturer. The explanation from the other insurer is much clearer.

i always remember insuring my son's car for the first time (he was still on a provisional licence) and when I said he had no access to drive any other vehicles other than the car we were insuring, the representative said that couldn't be correct as he could access the driving instructors vehicle!! Who'd have thought of that one!!

Unusual wording and I would find another insurer. Probably just a way of a 'cheaper' insurer extracting more money from you when you present them with your list of options. On the above wording you would have to declare all options selected.

There are insurers like this eg Admiral who require a list of all factory extras for full cover. A lot of insurers will also allow you to add mods for a premium but won't cover the mods, just cover the extra 'risk'. I go for cover which replaces all my Boxster mods and pay a small premium for an agreed percentage uplift on the market payout, almost like an agreed valuation but not quite.

If you do that then how do they replace like for like on upgraded or non standard parts unless you tell them about them and they agree to cover?

Guest twinspark

reminds me, must check if insurance are happy with my big brake kit. strange how some want to charge more for increasing safety.

Statistically, people who fit big brake kits are more likely to drive like nobs, leading to bigger and more claims...

If you do that then how do they replace like for like on upgraded or non standard parts unless you tell them about them and they agree to cover?

I think it's more to do with structural parts rather than nice add-ons: Bigger brakes, different suspension, roll cages, 'tweaked' engine, in fact just about everything that would normally increase your policy premium. I guess if you had a prang they'd send somebody out to verify what you're claiming for.

Archived