How to - View additional data via 986 climate control display

JonHoward42

It seems relatively unknown but the climate control unit of the 986 can actually be used to pull out a surprisingly large amount of sensor information from the Boxster's onboard systems. I've tried this on my MY2000 986 2.7 and it works perfectly; I'm not certain it works on every 986 as I've read that it doesn't necessarily work on newer versions.

*** Disclaimer, I didn't acutally figure all this stuff out. I first saw this working on an MY2000 Audi A3 (which uses pretty much the same A/C controls as the 986) and found the following information for the 986 on the web a couple of years ago ***
The basic method to view this information is as follows:
  • With the ignition on (or the engine running) press the 'windscreen vent' and 'recirculation' buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds
  • The left display (which normally shows climate control temperature) will switch to either a 'c-code' or its associated sensor reading.
  • If a sensor reading is showing, press the 'central dash vent' button to jump back to the 'c-code' selection
  • Use the '+ and -' buttons under the left display (normally used to set climate control temperature) to scroll through the 'c-codes' until you get to one you need
  • Press the 'central dash vent' button to display the associated value for the 'c-code'
  • Use the 'central dash vent' button to switch between the 'c-code' and value displays
  • Press the 'Auto' button to exit this hidden function and switch back to normal climate control functionality
The various 'c-codes' and their associated meanings are as follows (yes, the list is far from complete):
  • 0c - ERL
  • 1c - Oil Temp?
  • 2c - Inside temp. Sensor mounted in the aspirator assembly at the side of the dash
  • 3c - Outside temp. Sensor located inside the air inlet of the A/C unit * (see below)
  • 4c - Outside temp. Sensor located in front grill of the radiator * (see below)
  • 5c - Outside temp. (matches OBC outside temp display)
  • 6c - Coolant temp.
  • 7c - Footwell discharge temp.
  • 8c - Sun sensor (dash top)
  • 9c - Sun sensor
  • 10c - Passenger compartment fan speed
  • 11c - Passenger compartment fan voltage
  • 12c - Temperature mix Flap command 1=COLD, 100=HOT
  • 13c - Temperature mix Flap position
  • 14c - Central Flap command
  • 15c - Central Flap position
  • 16c - Footwell/Defrost Flap command
  • 17c - Footwell/Defrost Flap position
  • 18c - Recirculation Valve command 1=OFF, 100=RECIRC
  • 19c - Recirculation Valve position (feedback)
  • 20c - Vehicle speed in kph, updating only once per second. (real speed, not speed+safety margin as in the speedometer)
  • 21c - Engine RPM in hundreds. This too only updates once per second
  • 22c - ?
  • 23c - ?
  • 24c - Sun sensor, exterior lights switch & panel lights control (term. 58 & 58d voltage) - used for A/C panel display illumination
  • 25c - ?
  • 26c - ?
  • 27c - ?
  • 28c - Fan speed?
  • 29c - ?
  • 30c - Engine run time in seconds (255 max.)(=0xff)
  • 31c - Timing counter
  • 32c - Displays test
  • 33c - Software version?
  • 34c - ?
  • 35c - Outside temp. from inlet sensor (filtered?)
  • 36c - temp?
* - The data is fed to the Climatronic from the instrument cluster. When not moving, the instrument cluster OBC temp display retains it's last setting until moving. This is to prevent heat emanating from the radiator affecting the temperature sensor. The A/C unit uses the lower of the two outside air temp values in determining fresh-air temp.
So this is certainly not a replacement for a PST2, PIWIS, Durametric or even generic OBDII tool but is undoubtedly handy at times.
Hope you found this useful.

So an example of this feature to identify the current engine coolant temperature.

1. Identify the 'c-code' required - 6c in this case
2. Press the 'windscreen vent' and 'recirculation' buttons simultaneously for about 5 seconds:
climate_control_normal.jpg
3. Use the '+ and -' buttons under the left display to scroll through the 'c-codes' until you get to 6c:
climate_control_4c.jpg
4. Once the left display is showing 6c, press the 'central dash vent' button to display the associated value:
climate_control_6c.jpg
5. Now the engine coolant temperature should be on the left screen (89C in this case). Once you're done, either press the 'Auto' button to go back to normal cliamte control operation or press the 'central dash vent' button to switch back to the 'c-code' selection page:
climate_control_coolant-temp.jpg

Wish this had been posted when I had a 986 !! Anything similar for the 987 ? anyone.

Guvs.

Yes, its very usefull.

Mine runs at 88-89 when up to temp.

Fans kick in @ 108 which drops the temp by approx 5 degrees, so if it goes much higher then this, something is amiss.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This just made my week. I've been wanting outside temp display on my 2000 986 S since I got it, but I just couldnt bring myself to spend £300+ on a Durametric just for that. It's very frustrating knowing all the equipment is there to measure these things but the system just isnt allowed to tell you. This worked perfectly, and although it first seems a little fiddly for everyday use, I found that once you've selected the C-code you want, it will stay on screen even after turning off the car and you can then easily switch back and forth with "Auto" for normal CC operation, and a quick tap of 'windscreen vent' and 'recirculation'  to get outside temp back up. Brilliant.

Thanks for reminding me of this, just went to check and mine does this. Not sure about 1c being oil temp, when I looked it read 224 and the engine was turned off. Shame really as it would be interesting to see oil temp.

23 minutes ago, JasonGee said:

This just made my week. I've been wanting outside temp display on my 2000 986 S since I got it, but I just couldnt bring myself to spend £300+ on a Durametric just for that. It's very frustrating knowing all the equipment is there to measure these things but the system just isnt allowed to tell you. This worked perfectly, and although it first seems a little fiddly for everyday use, I found that once you've selected the C-code you want, it will stay on screen even after turning off the car and you can then easily switch back and forth with "Auto" for normal CC operation, and a quick tap of 'windscreen vent' and 'recirculation'  to get outside temp back up. Brilliant.

I'm assuming you don't have the extra stalk for the OBD and this displays external temp on mine.

12 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Thanks for reminding me of this, just went to check and mine does this. Not sure about 1c being oil temp, when I looked it read 224 and the engine was turned off. Shame really as it would be interesting to see oil temp.

Fahrenheit maybe? 

31 minutes ago, Araf said:

Fahrenheit maybe? 

Don't think so as with the other temp readouts it have a little 'c' to the right of the number. I'll have another play on Saturday when I'm out in the car as it may need the car running to work or something.

Archived