Strange insurance quotes

Renewing my car insurance today and got the best quote (by far) from Hastings Direct. I tend to keep my Boxster in a locked garage most nights, but these guys seemed quite strict on how they interpret 'kept in locked garage' stating they can disallow a claim for damage/theft overnight if parked somewhere close to the garage, but not locked inside. As on the odd occasion it's left on the driveway overnight, I changed the quote to 'parked on driveway' - premium came back £2 less!, then out of curiosity checked again for 'parked in street', and the quote comes back another 5p cheaper!

I'm left wondering how do they start to explain this pricing structure, and what's the point of even distinguishing on this aspect when the premium differences are so small?

It's sometime cheaper on the drive than in a garage. Why? You might think. You're only considering the likelihood of theft and assuming that locked in a garage means less likely to be stolen. In reality s lot of the insurers realise that putting it in a garage increases the risk of a damage claim - eg scraping it entering or exiting. So they bump premiums on this basis.

Also every premium is computer modelled based on lots of factors. Small differences multipled over many customers can have a significant effect.

Wow what a can of worms you have opened there, it is an absolute mine field, we have multi car insurance, and for the first year my son's (age 20 2yrs NCB) car was insured with all the other drivers on his policy as named drivers, this made it the best price, at renewal, (nothing changed except one year on) his policy rockets to over £1,900 (it is a Nissan 370Z) so he goes back with slightly better quotes, and threatens to leave, they then decide to look at all his options, in the end they took all the named drivers except me off, and it suddenly drops to just over £1,100 so how does that work.

Another reason for varying prices is down to the excess, I have heard people say "oh got my insurance for XXX what a bargain" but don't realise how high their excess has been set to achieve the low price!

I did the same changed locked garage to driveway, secure work compound to work car park, im 47 ahem, 14 years NCD,PNCD, windscreen cover and personal belongings, S75 postcode..... £288....! Well happy with that....!

UkHawks - Excess is another interesting area - £100 compulsory (which I thought was pretty good), and choosing to add £50 voluntary excess saved around £10 on my premium (worth it in my books), but then adding any further voluntary excess saved less than £1 on the premium for each extra £50 voluntary excess I added - so went with £150 excess in total. 10rs NCD - protected, includes legal cover, breakdown cover (not that I needed it), for just over £190 after cash-back - happy with that :-)

A lot of insurance quotes make no sense to me either, my premium went up 41% last year for no reason whatsoever, not one thing had changed, even shopping around made little difference. I feel like the poor bugger subsidising all the hopeless idiots who can't even reverse out of parking space without hitting something, a lot of you guys will be the same I'm sure.

The good news is that I'm old now and have a good record, I've been looking at quotes recently and an early 2.5 Boxster costs me the same to insure (within £20) as a 20 year Eunos Roadster (MX5), so actually I'm well pleased with that.

Daz, who was that with?

I tried all the main price comparison sites, meerkat, money supermarket etc and they all came back within a few p of £288.

Surprisingly when i bought my Boxster at the end of May,Swiftcover charged me £90 to change from my previous car, a Saab 93 2.8 V6 vert, to my policy renewal on 1st Sept,this equates to £360 for the year which isn't that bad BUT to renew with Swiftcover they are wanting a whopping £997.....!

I need to change my cover from my mx5 to 987 for this Saturday. I'm currently with Admiral on a multi car policy which also covers my Cayenne.

when I phoned the the other day they quoted me an extra £35.00 to adjust for the rest if insurance period which is I think 6 weeks.

I reckon I will pay that and then use the next few weeks to shop around and see what I can come up with.

As regards the garaged/not garaged bit I had also heard that if your car say catches fire and that fire spreads to the garage the car insurance may have to pay for that as well, rather than house insurance, i.e. house insurance will try and claim off the car one that being the cause.

Insurance companies just have one of those lottery ball machines - all the balls have a price on them and they do a draw each time a quote comes in.

They do have more than one machine though, one for under 25s, one for 25 to 50 and one for over 50s

Never accept a renewal and always go thru route of a new quote. I pay 350 a year 25 years old 4 years ncd 2.7 2007 boxster have use of another private car (wife's 2014 VW bug) and company car!

Needless to say I'm happy with what I pay as my 48 year old father pays more for his boxster ?

Insurance companies just have one of those lottery ball machines - all the balls have a price on them and they do a draw each time a quote comes in.

They do have more than one machine though, one for under 25s, one for 25 to 50 and one for over 50s

And one for 70+!

how about this then, spoken again to Admiral and they have done the change for an extra charge of £19.10.

when I asked what the total years premium will be he said it would just go up by £1.20 for the year. Yes you've guessed it, the £19.10 is made up of £19.00 admin fee and 10 pence extra premium !!,

With regard to insuring on the road, I believe this can often be cheaper as some thiefs tend to break into the house to steal the keys. When a car is on the road, they cannot be sure which house the car belongs to so less likely to be stolen. This risk is balanced off against the risk it will be damaged by another car on the road.

Archived