How to: cure a squeaking window

Boxob

So you've:

1 cleaned the windows;

2 cleaned the horizonal rubber sealing strip on the outside of the door;

3 applied silicon lubricant to what you can see of the window guides and seals; and

still the squeak persists. thumbsdown_anim.gif

At this point you'd be plannng to remove the door cards and lube the regulator mechanism inside the door. Before you do try this 5 minute job:

1 Identify approximately where the squeak is coming from (in my case lower half of door, forward of half way)

2 Prise the horizonal rubber seal away from the window on the outside (I found this easier by lowering the window, pulling the seal away, then raising the window whilst holding the seal).

3 With the window raised insert two wedges about 1cm apart (I used small eletrical screw drivers but small wood or plastic wedges would be ideal) to hold the rubber seal away from the window sequentially in two locations (a) just behind the wing mirror and (b ) half way along the door. Note there is a second seal below the outer seal - that too needs to be "by-passed".

4 Attach the small red tube which comes with the can of WD40 and pass it between the two wedges, in both positions, into the door cavity and direct the spray towards where the noise is coming from. A 3 second blast should do.

5 At the outer edge of the door there is a small gap between the seal/window/door, give another 3 second squirt there.

The squeaking lessened immediately but within a few hours after the penetrating effect of WD40 had worked it dissappeared completely. thumbsup_still.png

Twenty months on and the squeaking has not returned.

• 6 months later...

This worked a treat for me and has been good for the last three months, thanks for the tip

Glad it helped. Two and a half years on and still no return of the squeak.

2 months squeak free for me too. Only one tip to add...

Make sure you fit the red tube correctly to the WD40. Other wise it just jumps straight down in to you door and you then spend 10 mins swearing at yourself for being an incompetent fool. Or get one of the tins with the fancy top and a fixed tube :whistle1:

• 6 months later...

Worked for me too, driving me bats before trying to work out where it was coming from. No more driving along with left hand pushing prodding, banging etc, for me now!!

Archived