How to - Repair microswitch for facelift 986 roof

T24RES

After not using the roof for a few months, the sun came out and it was top down. The roof presented itself with the following symptoms:

Roof has a smart top.

Roof drops perfectly.

When raising the roof it moves about 8" and stops, if you press the button it moves another 8" and stops. If you hold the button down the roof will close. The windows have not dropped in readiness to accept the roof closing.
I'm assuming this is a fail-safe.

I've noticed that whilst raising the roof the 'warning light' for roof opening/closing fails to illuminate.

The facelift doesn't have a B pillar micro-switch or a rear latch (above the motor) micro-switch, it does have the release catch one, the handbrake one (over ridden by smart top).I believe there are micro switches in the transmission drives each side.

I tried the OE relay and the same symptoms appear.

There wasn't too much information out there, except I found after hours of trawling that the transmission for the roof changed. When it did, the micro switches that I thought were in the B pillar and motor were moved inboard to the nearside transmission. Anyway, I've taken some snaps just in case it happens to someone else.

First thing is to put your roof into service mode.
f6li.jpg
gfnx.jpg
If you look at the roof motor housing and it doesn’t have a microswitch tab sticking out of the housing, then you have the ‘type2’ transmission with the inboard microswitches.
83ur.jpg
You’ll need to undo the caps that hold the membrane:
t0aj.jpg
mo7t.jpg
This is the passenger side (UK) roof transmission
ugko.jpg
Undo the bolts in the order shown and remove the arm.
zs31.jpg
Then don’t forget this plastic clip, it seems to be responsible for keeping the membrane away from the clamshell mechanism:
gjmi.jpg
You’ll notice the arm is slotted:
ui8n.jpg
Gently pull down membrane.
fsvw.jpg
This reveals the transmission.
Remove 3 x 13mm nuts and the electrical plug at the front edge of the part.
d9we.jpg
Unclip the loom to the microswitch
t5gi.jpg
Lift off the transmission.
4y5b.jpg
The cable from the motor is still attached, using an electrical screwdriver raise the tab slightly, at the same time pull on the cable. This will withdraw from the transmission.
9prj.jpg
DO NOT LIFT THE TAB MORE THAN 1mm OR IT WILL SNAP=NOT GOOD, PARTICULARLY ON A COLD DAY.

This is the inside face of the transmission.
7nkg.jpg
This is the outside of the transmission.
6k5r.jpg
Undo the 6 x torx screws, and gently lift of the cover.
vnx3.jpg
This reveals the microswitch on the back of the cover plate.
qty9.jpg
This is it in situ.
x1od.jpg
This is the switch removed.
81uq.jpg
This is the arm that controls the two switches.
8eza.jpg
Essentially the arm sticks on the peg, not allowing the switch to return to the central rest position.
I used a drill bit (not in a drill-by hand) to gently clean the inside of the arm by running it up/down. Then used a couple of drops of silicon lubricant. The sort that comes with your crash helmet.
3qce.jpg
Refit parts.
**CAUTION** When putting the two halves of the transmission back together make sure that this half moon peg hasn’t moved.
jnrz.jpg
If not located correctly this will cause the casing to split 

Refit as reverse of removal, taking the opportunity to grease the moving parts.

• 1 year later...

Archived