Bump in the Box

After my bump with a Peugeot yesterday, Ive been in touch with my Insurance luckily they have confirmed the girl that hit me does have insurance but need me to get in touch with her to confirm her surname?? Why if they already know she has insurance surely they know her surname but they say they need this as to waver the excess??

They have also turned their nose up at the fact Ive been to a Porsche dealer to enquire about repairs but that was expected I suppose?!

Hi

I guess they will have confirmed the vehicle that hit you is insured, but that does not confirm the driver at the time was insured.

You can look up a reg here http://www.askmid.com/ and it will confirm if a vehicle is insured...it is meant to be a service for YOUR own use....but that is up to you. It will also confirm the make/model of the car too.

In terms of OPC... I am sure they will insist that their repairer does the work, which, depending on who it is, may not be as bad as it could be.

David

Crusha, it is against the law for an insurance company to insist on a company of their choice to do the work. You can take the car to anywhere you choose, just be aware that if there is anything wrong thereafter, the insurance won't be liable for any issues and you will have to go back to your garage to sort out the issues.

I think he's right.

Some companies will offer some 'persuasion' to use their preferred repairers such as making a hire car available conditional upon it. Shouldn't apply in your case so long as liability is clearly not yours.

You can choose your own repairer. However if the insurance company think the costs are excessive they will refuse to cover them all or could offer a partial settlement. In the case you choose your own repairer they will send a loss adjuster to view the damage first.

..... I found recently, that if I used their insurer, they would offer a cash alternative to a hire car....

How that condition gets wrapped into the choice of repairer i will never understand.... but as said above.."persuasion"...

Cheers guys! The insurers are using the "We may be able to waver the £800 excess if you let us deal with the repairs" but they seem to be throwing that at me with a number of excuses.

Im awaiting an email from the insurers with their T&C conditions on my own repairer doing the work and the Repairers are sending me a written quote for the work so.......

Sometimes they get you to pay the excess up front and then claim it back and repay it to you later. Usually this happens if there's any doubt over liability or the identity of the driver, hence a chance it could go 50:50.

These persuasion tactics are nonsense as well. Using my own repairer I've effected my own 'cash back' by them charging for a hire car in didn't really need ;)

Any repair firm that deals in accident repairs regularly will know all the tricks and what each insurer will swallow.

Who is the insurance company? If it's swift cover you're fecked....

If the other person is liable why are you paying excess?

It's not uncommon to pay the excess up front and then have it refunded when the claim is settled. I've had that even when the other party has admitted liability.

They have sent details of the claim to her insurers and based on MY evidence await them to admit their driver was at fault.

Once they have admitted that they,re at fault then the the excess will be wavered. £800 excess when the quote Ive received is £850 I sure hope it gets wavered :-S

Do OPC's have on site body repair and spraying facilities? I bent the front of my Mercedes E class and insisted it was repaired by Mercedes, it came back in a right state, the close lines were uneven and the bonnet not aligned, they said it was OK. It took me a day to get everything back to something like. I think the moral is that unlike main dealers,those chosen by the Insurers have a lot to lose if they get bad customer service reports. Personally I would go with the insurer but insist on OEM panels.

"£800 excess when the quote Ive received is £850 I sure hope it gets wavered :-S "

a shame you didn't know this earlier.... would have been better to avoid the insurance company as, even if 100% not your fault, you may get loaded premiums for 5 years!

• 2 months later...

When I had to get a new nose on the car a few weeks ago I just went with who Direct Line put me in contact with. Large modern premises and a wide variety of cars there, inc a ferrari or two. Came back looking perfect with a 5 yr paint warranty.

Archived