Extended warranties

Rev Ken

I'm looking at extending my VW Golf's warranty as it is coming up to 3 years old, and I still have reservations about the DSG gearbox. Has anybody had experience of Warranty Direct or Warranty Wise? (for the Boxster Warranty Wise do a 'Lite' insurance that depends on the car needing recovery which even for my '53' Boxster is remarkably cheap and I'm tempted as I can't afford full cover. For a car over 10 years old they would pay 50% of the cost of parts parts, but full labour costs. Again I wonder if anybody has had any experience - not that I would wish a major breakdown on anybody, but if the IMS failed, then it would be worth it!)

No particular experience of the companies you quote but as a general observation I would say the maximum amount per claim and the old 'wear and tear' getout are the usual problems.

As per Purdie......although warranty wise are one of the better ones(i make claims againt such companies as part of my job)

Also watch out for maximum labour rates,use of pattern parts or recon parts supplied by themselves,only paying for the failed item eg IMS bearing would only pay for the bearing replacement not other damage ETC.....

Also many have milage limitations and insist vehicle is serviced to shedule(which im sure you do)

Had many a claim for eg. a water pump leaking denied as classed as wear and tear,or customer missed service by 1 month ETC.

Beware many of these are classed as a 'mechanical breakdown' and not a bumper to bumper warranty!

My OPC warranty expired this month & I took out a WMS warranty from a well respected Indy. It's hit a £5k claim limit which hopefully will make a dent into a repair fist should the worst happen.

When I conducted my research into extended warranties there was a lot of opinion on the value of them with a lot of people across various forums criticising them. I guess ultimately they are like car insurance, you really don't want to be claiming on them if at all possible but if you have to make a claim then in theory they should make it a little less painful (obviously dependent on whether any claim is covered...).

Guest twinspark

I had a bloody nightmare with the company who directly supply warranties... this was with a gearbox actuator on the Alfa 156. (your DSG concerns are similar to the Alfa issues we had).

Took far too long to get work authorised, then there was an argument over which parts would be covered, which elements of labour would be covered.

I had to pay up myself to get the car home, then go chasing them for the cheque.

It took several formal letters and ultimately a threat of court action to recover my losses before I got my money.

I took a warranty on the Boxster as it was part of the deal when I bought it... but I'd be very reluctant to invest in a 3rd party warranty ever again.

My last car was covered by Warranty Wise and had no problems.

You have a Golf which, theoretically, are bullet proof so maybe worth thinking of not taking one out and save the cost against future bills?

We will have had my wife's R32 7 years in March, she doesn't want to get rid, and have had no repairs at all, other than servicing, in the near 4 years since the manufacturers warranty expired.

My last car was covered by Warranty Wise and had no problems.

You have a Golf which, theoretically, are bullet proof so maybe worth thinking of not taking one out and save the cost against future bills?

We will have had my wife's R32 7 years in March, she doesn't want to get rid, and have had no repairs at all, other than servicing, in the near 4 years since the manufacturers warranty expired.

It's the DSG gearbox that worries me. The software has improved over the years (this is the fourth VW we've had fitted with DSG) but even this one does - or rather doesn't - do things it ought not/should do. It has been reset, but I'm not that confident! Still I will be talking to my dealer for their views, next week.

Archived