Multi Car Insurance

PeterM140

Hi all,

Received a rather large bill yesterday for the renewal on our 3 cars... a fiver short of 2k!!

I know that insurance premium tax has gone up by a few percent, but this just seems bonkers.

My policy is with Admiral Car Insurance and I have follow setup:

'03 Boxster S - £850

'04 Yaris - £350

'13 BMW 320d - £850

All cars are commuting & social, with 5k limit per annum. I have not tickets and the only claim in the last 5 years is a wind screen replacement. I've got 14 years Protected NCD and my g/f has 9.

I thought Multicar would work out better because if I took out separate policies, one car wouldn't have any NCD.

I'm sure if I phone Admiral and make a big fuss they will knock 10-20% off, but I just wondered if there was a better way of doing this ?

Thanks,

Peter

Ive just insured mine through Greenlight on here-aged 47 £249 give them a go Pete :)

Peter

I can help with a policy on the Porsche if needed, we can do a low mileage second car discount. With 5k miles on the Porsche the price should come back VERY competitive. (with a mirrored NCB so you can put your 14yrs on the other vehicle)

Then personally i think you would be better insuring the BMW and Yaris separately, you could do one in your name and one in your girlfriends name and the quotes for those i image would be massively less on Go-Compare if taken as individual policies.

Multi Car policies are convenient but often end up paying more in the long run.

There are a few other suggestions i can make as to where to get the cover on the other two cars. If you wanted to drop me a PM with your contact details id be happy to give you a call tomorrow to look to see what we can do.

Kind Regards

Neil

Greenlight

'03 Boxster S - £850

'04 Yaris - £350

'13 BMW 320d - £850

All cars are commuting & social, with 5k limit per annum. I have not tickets and the only claim in the last 5 years is a wind screen replacement. I've got 14 years Protected NCD and my g/f has 9.

Peter

What??? Admiral have just quoted me on a multicar policy:-

'15 Boxster GTS, 15K annual miles - £335

'15 Mazda CX3, 12K annual miles - £220

It's almost as if they give a really competitive quote to win business then jack it through the roof for renewals - they wouldn't do that would they?!!

Thanks for all the feedback..

Greenlight - I will give you a call later in the week to run through a quote.

Buzzfox - yes, there were very competitive when I joined, admittedly I added cars on during the course of the year when they expired on their original policies, so this is the first time I've got an annual renewal from them.

Hi all,

Just to conclude this years insurance saga..

Spoke to a very helpful operator at Admiral on Saturday, which stared off along the lines of, "unless you can significantly improve the renewal price, I'm off!"

Fair play to the guy, he was a car enthusiast himself (owning a mint BMW E36), and we spent over an hour doing tweaks and minor adjusts and numerous amounts of discounts, to reach the following:

'03 Boxster S - £496

'04 Yaris - £251

'13 BMW 320d - £461

The only real concession I made was taking my dad temporarily off the Boxster (£126 saving), but I'll probably just add him again in the spring/summer at a lower rate.

Maybe I could have split them up and got a better deal, but spending the best part of Saturday afternoon doing various comparison sites and talking to Admiral was about my limit for this year :-)

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have 3 cars and my van on one policy with Pace Ward.

The van's a 110 Limited Ford Connect, value 10k, obviously covered for work use.

Car 1 is my '03 plate Evo, Jap import, much modified, 5k miles per year, agreed value.

The Boxster, '05 plate, 5k miles a year, value 13k.

Lexus IS300 Sportcross, '04 plate, no mileage specified per year, worth maybe 4k if I'm lucky!

I pay £1400 for all that, and I'm very happy to do so.

Are all 3 cars insured under your own name?

I had a multicar policy at one point with 2 cars and 2 seperate no claims for 2 different registered keepers/owners.

I moved to a mirrored no claims. Both cars are with the same underwriter but ironically the broker who insured the first car could not do the mirrored no claims whereas Sky could with the same original underwriter! Stupid or what. 

i would of shopped round,i paid £249 for my Boxster S with Greenlight,i also had to insure my peugeot estate-my renewal with Autonet was £569,even though it was £287 when i took it out last year,spent 20 mins on go compare and got it with Autonet for £289!! they couldnt do it over the phone so i did it online,i saved my self just over £600 just by changing insurance company on the Boxster and go compare for my estate,the kids will now have more stuff in there stockings :)

The car insurance industry is rife with ridiculous premiums, it's about time something was done about it really as many busy people without time to check quotes are being ripped off.

As for me I haven't shopped around this year as I was happy with Aviva, the new BGTS was added as an extra car - a few phone calls were needed to sort it out - swapping a full NCD to the Porsche from our old Focus runabout (Focus premium stayed the same!), and I wanted policyholder plus five drivers, their online system only allows for policyholder plus four - they eventually gave me any driver and the premium is only £330!!

Leading up to my recent (yesterday) Boxster purchase I had to look at insurance, after speaking to several companies (the first few would not even insure me as I have driven a company car for 20 years and have no personal no claims history) I ended up using Admiral who came up with around £1100 multi-car for the Porsche, a Vitara and a Fiesta 1.3 (my 17 year old sons car who passed his test only 2 weeks ago).  I didn't think this was too bad as I was expecting £1000+ just for my sons car.

This covers myself, my wife and my son (my son is only insured on his own car of course).  The Porsche and the Vitara are on limited mileage (4000 miles pa from memory) and the Fiesta is on 10,000 miles pa.

The chap I dealt with at Admiral was very helpful (we were on the phone for over an hour working everything out) but after a day searching online and on the phone I was starting to lose the will to live!

The most competitive individual quote for the Porsche alone was through LV at some £350 or so.

Still can't fault greenlight in any aspect. Neil mirrored my no claims from the 987 onto my 182 for use over the winter, with it's slight modifications & an accident on my file it still came out at £291 for the year.

Looking forward to renewal time when they can quote me on the boxster (no rwd experience yet) as I know they'll be massively competitive.

Archived