Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Mike G

What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Recommended Posts

Took mine for a decent test drive around the country lanes to see if the ARB bushes made any difference.

I think they have, the car felt a lot more together and the steering seemed a bit sharper to me. The car felt a lot more stable over the bumps and the steering didn't seem quite as light at 90-100mph

More importantly the annoying knocking noise I was getting after 20 minutes of driving seems to have gone, touch wood ?

I also tested my 996 speedo against the reading from the sat nav. After doing the clock swap I was dubious that I was getting the correct mph read out, I felt it maybe pretty accurate at lower speeds but was maybe 8-10mph out at 80+. Well yes and no, my speedo is a constant 4mph out, which I believe is quite standard for Porsche speedos. Example clock shows 55mph but really I'm doing 51mph.

Also dropped the hardtop off for painting the correct colour. They are also going to remove the side "ears" and filler it smooth for a cleaner look. The later 986 tops didn't have the ears from the factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went from this Missing%20Jet_zpsscqpku19.jpg

To This - Fixed%20Jets_zps5loopnir.jpg

For the grand total of £14, not over £140 - yaaahboooo to you Mr Porsche parts lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm, I will have a look see if I've got a picture showing them!

25406621790_40a670a7f9_b.jpg

Not really an ear but you know which bit I mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Lonewolfgjp oh yes, get those taken off... I must have the later style. I have an 03 car but the hardtop didn't come with it. 

Will look much cleaner without them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, C11RJC said:

@Lonewolfgjp oh yes, get those taken off... I must have the later style. I have an 03 car but the hardtop didn't come with it. 

Will look much cleaner without them. 

Unless they are covering something. :unsure:  I've never seen them on a roof before, but isn't the adjuster for locking down behind that area? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it were a cover for the roof adjustment, surely it'd pop off with a screwdriver. 

On mine, the locking 'arm' is behind this sort of area but fully accessed from inside. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe they are something to do with the roof rack attachment.

My hinges are inside with the Allen key bolts for adjustment.

30747622092_96d8f6b5f0_b.jpg

They have already filled and primed the top ready for a wet flat and painting!

We are trying to find a decent paint match but there is only one mix for cobalt which isn't ideal as even though the body work is good the paint has faded.

 I may just have to put up with it, it is only for the winter months and at least it will be. Cobalt blue and not Zenith which is more purpley.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter is over just now so we took a little drive to the Mirador Hotel for coffee this morning. Nice twisty road about 20 mins inland.

 

unnamed%205_zps8lsoombj.jpg

unnamed%202_zpsth0uolzd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, el 3.2S said:

My daughter is over just now so we took a little drive to the Mirador Hotel for coffee this morning. Nice twisty road about 20 mins inland.

 

unnamed%205_zps8lsoombj.jpg

unnamed%202_zpsth0uolzd.jpg

Somehow the Boxster looks right there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

I believe they are something to do with the roof rack attachment.

My hinges are inside with the Allen key bolts for adjustment.

30747622092_96d8f6b5f0_b.jpg

They have already filled and primed the top ready for a wet flat and painting!

We are trying to find a decent paint match but there is only one mix for cobalt which isn't ideal as even though the body work is good the paint has faded.

 I may just have to put up with it, it is only for the winter months and at least it will be. Cobalt blue and not Zenith which is more 

 

Could you get the car paint supplier to scan the car's bodywork adjacent to the hardtop to get a good colour match?  I had to do that for repairs to an alloy wheel in a non-standard colour.  It produced a perfect match.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is an option, I have got a spray out card of the colour to try against the body work tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2016 at 3:51 PM, motosparkz said:

Went from this Missing%20Jet_zpsscqpku19.jpg

To This - Fixed%20Jets_zps5loopnir.jpg

For the grand total of £14, not over £140 - yaaahboooo to you Mr Porsche parts lol

What's the difference between the top and bottom pic? I don't see any difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boxtaboy said:

What's the difference between the top and bottom pic? I don't see any difference. 

Ditto. Unless he had the world's cheapest respray to Meridian Silver

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, boxtaboy said:

What's the difference between the top and bottom pic? I don't see any difference. 

Was the £14 to get the bonnet opened?;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Gutley said:

Ditto. Unless he had the world's cheapest respray to Meridian Silver

That is a great colour I agree but maybe just a lens tint on the headlights . . . .?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha ,  first pic doesn't quite show the missing headlight washer jet,  one missing from both sides ,  now replaced & no longer a cyclops sprayer 

Kept ya guessing if nothing else looking at it & thinking what the heck is he on about 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, roadrunner68 said:

one washer jet is missing in the top pic.

& today's special prize goes to Roadrunner68,  well done ?

Probably not the best first photo but it was the only one I had that you could sort of see the jets 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, motosparkz said:

& today's special prize goes to Roadrunner68,  well done ?

Probably not the best first photo but it was the only one I had that you could sort of see the jets 

I had to look a few times to spot the difference!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@motosparkz how did you do it for £14, few here would  like to know I'm sure. Is it a new part, refurb, e-bay special or what, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost a washer jet on my last Boxster, I couldn't get just the jet from Porsche, they said I needed the whole thing. I replaced the jet with an Audi one, perfect fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can a mod change the thread title to "your" instead of "you're" my grammar nazi comes out every time I see it ?

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...