Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
sential

Adding additional miles

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Purdie said:

You need to read the policy :mellow:

This

A limited miles policy would seem to imply that you are only covered upto the limit quoted, whereas a general policy, where they ask you to estimate the annual mileage is likely to be more flexible as you've given an estimate. I'd be nervous driving a car that's done 6K on a 5K limited miles policy, but wouldn't worry about driving a car that's done 13k in the last month of a policy where I estimated 12k per annum. Mind you, none of my cars are worth more than £4K, so if the insurer didn't payout, I wouldn't be too worried. Might not be so relaxed with a new 718?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adrian Flux - 10,000 miles ,£380 fully comp,insured up to £20k to drive some one else's car aged 48 when i was with Green light i only had 5000 miles which i soon used up,cost another £100 for another 3000 miles if i remember correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mrbikerdood said:

insured up to £20k to drive some one else's car

That was a handy perk. Made driving other people's cars more comfortable with that level of fully comp cover. One I do miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

That was a handy perk. Made driving other people's cars more comfortable with that level of fully comp cover. One I do miss.

plus protected no claims too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greenlight were very good if I wanted to increase my mileage on my 172 when on a limited mileage policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mrbikerdood said:

plus protected no claims too :)

Yeh. I've got that now on my own car. Was like £25 extra I think. I couldn't justify Flux for another year, nearly triple the best price and £300 more than Locktons (which included PCGB and breakdown).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My policy is for 15,000 miles. In the small print it states if I have a claim and I've exceeded that, they just add £200 to the excess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you really save that much money by buying insurance with a limited mileage, or is there some other benefit ?

In my experience it makes very little difference to the price, unless your are doing say 20k miles + a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, greenlight mirrored my ncd even though I wasn't with them on the 987, the Clio was limited to 2000 miles (I think!) A year & it was only £200 or so, yes expensive per mile, but that's to be expected at that milage per annum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Do you really save that much money by buying insurance with a limited mileage, or is there some other benefit ?

In my experience it makes very little difference to the price, unless your are doing say 20k miles + a year.

I have very little NCB as I lived in Irelan for 26 years. The only way I could insure the Boxster was as a second car for limited mileage only, even then some of the quotes were mad, one company even asked if I was used to driving a rear wheel drive car with 250bhp. I am 56 and been driving since I was 16 (moped) and 17 (car). So yesin some circumstances it makes a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Terryg said:

one company even asked if I was used to driving a rear wheel drive car with 250bhp. I am 56 and been driving since I was 16 (moped) and 17 (car). So yesin some circumstances it makes a difference.

One of the sponsors of this forum declined to insure me on the Boxster because I didn't have a year's experience of driving a Boxster. I told them I regularly drive a RWD Spitfire and have had powerful cars in the past. My 204bhp Tiptronic Boxster is hardly a rocket ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nobbie said:

My Tiptronic Boxster is hardly a rocket ship?

I don't recall it being that slow either:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

One of the sponsors of this forum declined to insure me on the Boxster because I didn't have a year's experience of driving a Boxster. I told them I regularly drive a RWD Spitfire and have had powerful cars in the past. My 204bhp Tiptronic Boxster is hardly a rocket ship?

I had the same issue when I first got my Box...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I had the same issue when I first got my Box...

I have only been questioned by specialist insurers, never comparison site/mainstream companies. Yet they're willing to throw a policy at you/us for cheaper, no questions asked. 

I've never owned a RWD car before the Boxster, but my history of modified & tuned cars and Jap imports helped (when asked). All were FWD mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3K miles policy 

£1K PA

unlimited trackday cover

pretty happy with that

hopeful to stay under the mileage limit !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, david_yorkshire said:

3K miles policy 

£1K PA

unlimited trackday cover

pretty happy with that

hopeful to stay under the mileage limit !

Looked at the price, was mystified, then looked at the car....... ahhhhh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Terryg said:

Looked at the price, was mystified, then looked at the car....... ahhhhh!

agreed value of £130K as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david_yorkshire said:

agreed value of £130K as well

Lucky man.... enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

business miles and pleasure.

20k per annum

fully comp

6 points and 6 yrs no claim

£375 per year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...