www.BoXa.net
edc

From provisional to full licence cost

I was always under the impression that once you go from a provisional licence to a full licence that the insurance cost goes up as then you are a new driver but now entirely at your own devices. I've just called my insurer to make such a change with my wallet in hand and nothing was mentioned about any additional premium. Is that normal?

Are you talking young driver recently test passed?

Or older person adding another string to the bow (motorcycle)?

Older person in 30s going from car provisional to car full licence. Test passed yesterday.

Very surprised if no increase in premium for the reasons you mention.

I know different circumstances but when my teenage son paased his test some years ago they tried to hike the prmium from £1200 pa to £3k+.

We moved insurer needless to say.

It used to be the case that the premium went down. :(  I'm with Purdie on this.  Maybe it's a question that you should put to one of the insurance brokers on the forum in their sponsored areas?

I'm surprised too. I rang my insurer and advised that the names driver is now a full licence holder having passed the test yesterday. I reconfirmed all the details and the call handler noted all the details and said its all done is there anything else I can help you with! There was zero discussion about the premium which of course I do t mind. I've done everything I need to in terms of notification. 

Depends on the premium paid at inception and which company. Due to the driver being in their 30's the loading formulae are different. 17-25 are the "At Risk" group generally.

Check their certificate, if all is as agreed then happy dayz :thumbsup_anim:

It seems to be happy days indeed :) test passed 2 days ago, policy updated and no additional premium. Policy was new just over a month ago. It's only a 2016 Fiesta and the premium is circa 370. I had to call again to double check they didn't make a mistake. I still can't quite believe it!

Also depends on black boxes etc these days.  I know I'd consider my nephew's insurance high for a 19 yr old.

Result Ed, and that she has passed.  When will you let her drive your Boxster ?

1 minute ago, Patt said:

Also depends on black boxes etc these days.  I know I'd consider my nephew's insurance high for a 19 yr old.

Result Ed, and that she has passed.  When will you let her drive your Boxster ?

No black box involved. This policy when I renewed it a month ago with a provisional named driver was about 200 cheaper than it was with Diamond. So now with a new full licence holder its another saving. She hates the Boxster, too hard a ride, too low and too difficult to get in and out of. She hasn't even tried driving it yet. The heavier clutch and steering won't go down well. When I had the old moped she tried that on the second day and dropped it so don't think driving the Boxster any time soon is going to happen :D 

Some may say that is a blessing in disguise.  I know I'm a tad sexist, but at least your refurbished alloys will remain in mint condition :-D

6 minutes ago, Patt said:

Some may say that is a blessing in disguise.  I know I'm a tad sexist, but at least your refurbished alloys will remain in mint condition :-D

Indeed, the front 2 on the Fiesta are already well kerbed!

• Haha 1