Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Chris D

Has insurance hiked up or is it just me?

Recommended Posts

Having similar issues on my renewal with Admiral multicar, can get my sons Polo down by £350, but only £50 reduction in mine, they want £650 for the Boxster. I can get it for half that with other insurers, but then my sons premium goes back up to £1200 on his own policy, as opposed to £900 (20 year old).

They claimed that despite 30 years of relatively trouble free driving, the Boxster is a powerful sports car, and that I may still be coming to terms with this, hence the underwiters have to take this into account- oh give me a break!!! ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thanatoid said:

Old see :-)

Ha. What I didn't notice was the excesses, when I did a compare the market search. £700?! since when?! :suicide_anim:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I wish I'd never said about the £2.50. That was my renewal on this address but I'm moving less than half a mile up the road next month. With the new address the cheapest quote is £120 more and one without a £700 excess is £1700!!!

I could cry, if I can't get better quotes I won't be able to afford to keep the Box ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Ok I wish I'd never said about the £2.50. That was my renewal on this address but I'm moving less than half a mile up the road next month. With the new address the cheapest quote is £120 more and one without a £700 excess is £1700!!!

I could cry, if I can't get better quotes I won't be able to afford to keep the Box ????

Wow!  Are you moving into the Cornish equivalent of Beirut? ?

Who have you had quotes from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter what you say, somehow one of the insurance companies will try to wring as much out of you as they can.

Thankfully, there no honour amongst insurance companies and another will hopefully try to stiff one of the others.

(sort of heard that phrase before...)

 

Daughters moved address in Cornwall and saved £54 on a £720 policy, next time around get rid of black box....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @detail1 I have Aviva multicar with 4 cars including my 986, and a 21 year old. I have found in the past Admiral try it on but will often reduce by large amounts, although I baled with Admiral a couple of years back in favour of Aviva. Aviva do the same come renewal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Topbox said:

Hi @detail1 I have Aviva multicar with 4 cars including my 986, and a 21 year old. I have found in the past Admiral try it on but will often reduce by large amounts, although I baled with Admiral a couple of years back in favour of Aviva. Aviva do the same come renewal.

@Topbox yep I reckon they all do with the multicar upon renewal. Catch 22 if I keep as is they will reduce my sons by £350 and mine by £75 bringing it to £900 and £600. I know that I can get like for like elsewhere and pay half that for mine, but then my sons goes back up by £350. My heart says tell them to do one, my head says otherwise ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be worth getting a quote from Aviva or someone @detail1 cant do any harm!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 9:32 PM, rowbos said:

Wow!  Are you moving into the Cornish equivalent of Beirut? ?

Who have you had quotes from?

So they seem to think!! I'm moving from a main B road to a quieter residential road. Nothing else has changed.

Had quotes from the usual comparison sites, Admiral and Aviva. Also tried Classicline on the recommendation of a previous poster who declined to quote due to the 'specialist nature of my car'.

I see Locktons, Mannings and Adrian Flux all want you to call them.

They did say insurance will increase more than ever in 2018. Nick's trying to get a renewal on his Golf and even they are all coming back higher than expected.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:28 PM, thanatoid said:

Daughters moved address in Cornwall and saved £54 on a £720 policy, next time around get rid of black box....

Ooh wheres she live to? Maybe I need to move there..!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plymouth Uni and mums at Goran haven is that a place?

Very hilly and tight....the village...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, thanatoid said:

Plymouth Uni and mums at Goran haven is that a place?

Very hilly and tight....the village...

Gorran Haven yeah not far from me, lovely place and yes most Cornish villages are like that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sazzy,

Insurance on my 986 3.2s is due, and the cheapest I have been quoted (fully comp), with a compulsory excess £580 and no voluntary excess is £186. This is with quotemehappy (Aviva).

Directline was £220

Mind you I am an old ?, so I guess that helps!!!!!!

I am with Saga at present, but their renewal has gone up to £300.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sazzy I wonder if the road you are moving to is a bit more ‘out of the way’ and has a record of more crime/ car theft.

Anyway, I wonder if you have tried NFU - there may even be a local office in your area?  I only ask because I have found them to be excellent - OK there’s no agreed value or track day cover (not something I wanted anyway) but they do offer everything else you could want.  I also had an accident in France in May (not my fault) and their claims team was brilliant - all settled now and I’ve had a renewal since with no penalty on my premium.

Good luck with getting sorted - hate to see you lose the Boxster ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gorsh said:

@Sazzy I wonder if the road you are moving to is a bit more ‘out of the way’ and has a record of more crime/ car theft.

Anyway, I wonder if you have tried NFU - there may even be a local office in your area?  I only ask because I have found them to be excellent - OK there’s no agreed value or track day cover (not something I wanted anyway) but they do offer everything else you could want.  I also had an accident in France in May (not my fault) and their claims team was brilliant - all settled now and I’ve had a renewal since with no penalty on my premium.

Good luck with getting sorted - hate to see you lose the Boxster ?

Thanks for that. I should try NFU, I was with them for all my horse insurances  for over 10 years and agree they were excellent. Made two claims in the last 3 years of that time and they paid out no quibble in fact they even waived the excess on one of them! Total payout over £10k !

It's a shame you can't get an online quote but they do have an office in my town. I will try them, thanks ?

Sorry OP for crashing your thread!

Edited by Sazzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with nfu also great policy and a great price . When I moved from a 987 to the 981 ..no price increase. Happy days. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Admiral. £163 fully comp, incl NCB. 11 Years NCB.  £250 Compulsory excess.

8000 miles year limit. No accidents or convictions .LS29 Post code. Includes my wife. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, simonjohn said:

I'm with Admiral. £163 fully comp, incl NCB. 11 Years NCB.  £250 Compulsory excess.

8000 miles year limit. No accidents or convictions .LS29 Post code. Includes my wife. 

Admiral want over £500 for me, fully comp. 18 yrs NCB. 5000 miles limit including my OH and a £800 compulsory excess WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was with admiral/elephant/bell direct for years, but they wanted close to 500 quid for the Box. Under 200 with Aviva. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Renewal time - Priviledge are current insurers want £740 - 2 drivers, 9 years NCD, 1 accident each (neither at fault) - best renewal so far is about £550 - trying NFU and Adrian Flux. More Than wanted 1550!!! Lowest quote was £445 with a black box - errr no! ????

Edited by Mattman42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insu is a minefield,  so many variables to make up a quote.

I use Adrian Flux classic policy,  £175 fully comprehensive,  £300 excess.  Restricted miles,  standard car 986 2.7 litre. 

But I'm 63 and live in rural wales 

with full advanced police grade one on bikes and cars, ( classed above IAM qualifications)25yrs Ncb. ....etc etc

 

It pays to be an olde hooligan :inocent:

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just wanted to say thanks for the input into the thread. renewal's due in the next month Churchill via compare the market are offering £246 FC for my 986. Happy enough with that. Will see what my current insurer Hastings come back with. May try Aviva as it has good reports on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 10:41 PM, S14 said:

Hi Sazzy,

Insurance on my 986 3.2s is due, and the cheapest I have been quoted (fully comp), with a compulsory excess £580 and no voluntary excess is £186. This is with quotemehappy (Aviva).

Directline was £220

Mind you I am an old ?, so I guess that helps!!!!!!

I am with Saga at present, but their renewal has gone up to £300.

 

 

Same sort of thing here - Quotemehappy are around 250, depending what I do with the voluntary excess.  My current insurer are asking for 520 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got mine sorted best I could get was £291 which is a £60 increase on last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just renewed our multicar insurance with Admiral for £632 to cover my 2.5 986, 2.2TD Galaxy and the wife's Jaguar 3.0D XF. That's £28 more than last year but we had a mondeo then instead of the Jag.

Original quote was over £800 due to the Jag but they offered a large discount to keep me happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×