www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
ed80

Slack feeling in rear hub

Hi,

I started stripping down the rear end with a view to fixing the rear hubs. I noticed after removing the discs on the right hand side that there is quite a lot of rotational play in the wheel hub before it engages the diff and starts to feel resistance. I would say about 5-10mm of movement at the hub. At the end of travel there is a metallic clunk noise when it engages the diff. There is no play laterally and the bearings seems smooth, I am wondering if the noise I hear could come from wearing driveshafts?

It may be that this much play is normal, but I can't feel it on the other side (so far no stripped, so brake disk and wheel weight could be making it harder to detect.

Any help would be great :)

Ed

This will be your CV joints that have worn. I had exactly the same noise and removed both driveshafts. When I clamped the driveshaft in a vice I could rotate the CVs a few mill each way which seems minimal but when the driveshaft is installed in the car looks like a huge amount of play. My inner CVs were terrible so replaced them and it was miles better. Remember you cannot replace just the outer CV joints on these, just the inners.

See my thread here.......

9 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

This will be your CV joints that have worn. I had exactly the same noise and removed both driveshafts. When I clamped the driveshaft in a vice I could rotate the CVs a few mill each way which seems minimal but when the driveshaft is installed in the car looks like a huge amount of play. My inner CVs were terrible so replaced them and it was miles better. Remember you cannot replace just the outer CV joints on these, just the inners.

See my thread here.......

And the CV wear.........

Thanks for the quick response. It definitely feels like the inner CV joint has worn pretty badly. I will replace them both, are the GKN kits from Design911 reasonable quality? The good news is this looks like much less of a ballache than replacing the wheel bearings!

The bad news is that my alignment bolts have all seized, so I have a few fun hours with a hacksaw to look forward to :D

18 minutes ago, ed80 said:

Thanks for the quick response. It definitely feels like the inner CV joint has worn pretty badly. I will replace them both, are the GKN kits from Design911 reasonable quality? The good news is this looks like much less of a ballache than replacing the wheel bearings!

The bad news is that my alignment bolts have all seized, so I have a few fun hours with a hacksaw to look forward to :D

I got the GKN kits from CP4L and they were fine

3 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

I got the GKN kits from CP4L and they were fine

Do you still have the CP4L product number for these? I can't find them on their website.

Cheers,

Ed

16 minutes ago, ed80 said:

Do you still have the CP4L product number for these? I can't find them on their website.

Cheers,

Ed

Standby, they were listed under a Boxster but I managed to find the part number...........

1 minute ago, ed80 said:

Brilliant, got those ordered with next day delivery :)

Nicely done :)

They're easy to swap however you need to remove the exhaust or part of it to get the driveshaft out though you may have worked that out already!