www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Jer1974

Speaker upgrade options?

Picked up my 2003 S and my speakers sound like an old laptop. No door speakers the only ones I see are on the dashboard. Best options for upgrades? 

57B75C5C-C2E9-4962-81E0-3510C6D54F31_zps

I replaced the dash speakers with these, can't remember the model, but only about £20 of Amazon or eBay. Made a huge improvement as the rubber in the old cones had completely perished and disintegrated to the touch. 

Think they were these

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F330605273749

9 hours ago, Jer1974 said:

Thanks, will these fit as they look different? 

They will fit, but You need to do a bit of fettling and secure them with a glue gun. I suppose you could buy straight replacements from an OPC for an easy fit and they should still be a big improvement. The video shows the likely state of the existing speakers.

I choose to add the door speakers and boxes with used items.  Then wired in a crossover from the dash speakers to power them and dash speaker as tweeter.  Think it sounds pretty good and all factory looking.

I have this on my project list to do dash speakers and to add speakers in rear storage box too.  Speakers I've identified or that have been recommended are :

Pioneer TS 875  or Alpine SXE 0825 S for rear 

Alpine SPG-10C2 for dash which are featured in video above.

Can't comment on ease of fitment or performance yet as I haven't done the work.