www.BoXa.net

Sat Nav Maps Update PCM3.1

14 hours ago, Kennyfin73 said:

What discs are compatible with PCM 1? 

I think PCM 1 updates came on 78's a bit like this :P

(But welcome to the forum, and hopefully someone will provide a less flippant answer soon :) )

2019-11-05_01-44-09

Edited by Jon61
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Be warned - it took a very long time to calculate first route (surprisingly it retains old addresses) which had me worried! But all seems AOK now. And communication / support from Lukas has been

Press INFO and SOURCE at the same time, and you'll get to the version screen.  It will show the firmware version, and if you press the History button you will see if it has been updated.  If the histo

Hi @Jon61, The seller replied very quickly saying I wouldn't need to use the update disc as my software will support the map updates. I also have a screen shot of my current maps which I would ho

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Kennyfin73 said:

What discs are compatible with PCM 1? 

It depends if you have the early 8-bit or later 16-bit navigation drive.  If it is the later drive then Vauxhall/Opel NCDR/NCDC maps are compatible with the right Porsche software, but only up to about 2011.  To check which drive you have:

From A/C Screen, press bottom right knob, and you should see one of these.

PCM/IDIS V5.43
Nav Software Ver POIE609D - 8bit
Nav Software Ver PONA642D - 16bit
Nav Software Ver PONA628D - 16bit

Theoretically it would be possible to fit a later navigation drive (providing it came with the security code) but to be honest you are flogging a dead horse.  PCM1 is at least 20 years out of date.  It was also 5 years behind the latest technology when it was introduced.  If I were you, I would pull the whole lot out and start again with something more up to date.

Yep I tried to update with a "backup" disc and it didn't like it one bit.

I changed out the head unit and the improvement in sound alone was worth it - and that was with Bose too !

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, 718as said:

Anyone tried this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2018-Maps-Update-for-PORSCHE-with-PCM-3-1-system/223476430325

Car needs to be running for 2.5hrs? as otherwise Batt could go flat?

Did mine today with these, straightforward enough process and helpful guy to do business with. 
Engine's running for a bit or put the battery on a charger/maintainer. 
😊

Yes, he seems to have got the process sorted. It was just us early adopters who had teething problems. 

53 minutes ago, Duffy3074 said:

I take it he’s sorting it?

Oh yes, his service was very good and he persevered until he got the unlock code right.  

The only tiny problem is that i now have a fairly long list of failed installation/upgrade attempts in my PCM history which would offend my ocd bone if i let it. 🙄

8 hours ago, topradio said:

The only tiny problem is that i now have a fairly long list of failed installation/upgrade attempts in my PCM history which would offend my ocd bone if i let it. 🙄

That’s a problem I can relate to. 

:)

14 hours ago, topradio said:

Yes, he seems to have got the process sorted. It was just us early adopters who had teething problems. 

Not strictly true.  Mine failed twice before it was successful,( and I only did mine last month). I’m not sure why and I was getting worried but just seemed to work the third time.

• 1 month later...

Heading on a euro road trip in my 12 BS in June so was wondering if o needed this upgrade or should I just use google maps , it’s out of stock anyway.He sells  2018 maps so how often are they updated ???

My 2.1 has 2015 maps I think and there might not be newer. Not sure of the price but it would be nice not to kill your phone battery and chew data. 

Meno its 99quids 

advertised as 2018 update, some adopters here might confirm , phone would be powered by car of course and have unlimited data.upside is dash screen for easier nav but Google’s is better for live traffic etc...

We have rubbish data allowance in Portugal - I’m paying extra to get 4GB/mth, the standard is 1GB - so it would be good for me. 

It’s the latest Porsche mapping he supplies and is dated 2018.

:)

Yeh the 2018 version of the maps is the latest as far as I know.  The maps are from sometime mid 2018, there is a new road (bypass) near me that opened in November 2018, these new maps have this road on but it seems to be semi greyed out and it won’t use it in route planning etc, but if you go down the road it recognises you are on it and you can tell where the junctions are going to be etc.

Interesting following this thread although I don't think I will ever specify sat-nav as an option again, the alternatives are much more user friendly, with maps that are relatively up to date and significantly cheaper,  if not free.

I use a Garmin unit for tours as many routes can be pre-programmed, it has live traffic and free lifetime map upgrades.

I also like google maps, which is fine if you have unlimited data, it even copes with the sat-nav nightmare in Japan.

All of my cars have somewhat out of date sat-nav maps, even those that have been updated, as much as I would like to update the PCM, it really is low on my list of priorities. 

40 minutes ago, tailslides said:

Interesting following this thread although I don't think I will ever specify sat-nav as an option again, the alternatives are much more user friendly, with maps that are relatively up to date and significantly cheaper,  if not free.

I use a Garmin unit for tours as many routes can be pre-programmed, it has live traffic and free lifetime map upgrades.

I also like google maps, which is fine if you have unlimited data, it even copes with the sat-nav nightmare in Japan.

All of my cars have somewhat out of date sat-nav maps, even those that have been updated, as much as I would like to update the PCM, it really is low on my list of priorities. 

Unless you are buying the car new, we have what we have, it’s good enough for most purposes and, personally, I like to have it as upto date as possible. 
Doing the update this way is significantly cheaper than the dealer, and PCM’s a damn sight less ugly than a Tom Tom or a phone stuck in a holder. 
My Mondeo had Apple play built into it which was an acceptable middle ground whereas my Merc E250 has nowt and I’m following sat nav instructions off of my watch (which works surprisingly well) 

Edited by Duffy3074
  • Haha 1

You can buy TomTom on your phone cheaper and that doesn't use data - just ensure you use a sync cable to power it , rather than a cheap ebay cable.

I think you can even buy TomTom now for 1 or 3 months

• 2 weeks later...

Lukas isn't listing on Ebay currently so sent him an email.

He's awaiting a stock delivery so will be back with the updates shortly.