www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
MattO89

Preventative maintenance

Having owned my 986 for a year, I've pretty much worked my through the it's list of "must fix" jobs. Obviously it (always) still has a list of jobs that need to be done at some point, including a CV boot that's aged but not yet cracked, a gearbox oil change and AC that's not working. 

The car has done 90k, has had a replacement water pump, a replacement aux belt and the suspension is sorted (on it's original shocks, but has new springs and arms). To the best of my knowledge, it's on it's original AOS, coils, engine & box mounts. Should I be thinking of proactively replacing any of these parts, or any others for that matter? I'm not intending to go overboard and spend loads on stuff that's currently working, but if there's stuff that's acknowledged as generally having a certain life then I'm happy to change it rather than wait for it to fail. 

Cheers

Matt

Water pump is a definite for me.  I Always replace  all fluids on any car I buy as it’s mostly never been done.  
so Coolant when doing the waterpump

transmission fluid

brake and clutch fluid 

power steering fluid.  .pentosin CHF11.   Not the usual stuff from Halfords !   Luckily one of the other cars I have uses this so I generally have some in the garage waiting 

Edited by sa utah

Those are good shouts, but I think they're covered. It's had a replacement water pump about 20k ago, I've changed all the fluids bar transmissions, which I've got the stuff for, and PAS, which I'm a bit scared of! 

If not yet done then things like window regulators, door locks etc will fail at some point. 

Can't remember if the 03 cars have a fuel filter or not. 

38 minutes ago, MattO89 said:

Those are good shouts, but I think they're covered. It's had a replacement water pump about 20k ago, I've changed all the fluids bar transmissions, which I've got the stuff for, and PAS, which I'm a bit scared of! 

I had to replace the rear PAS pipe after my new manifold burnt a hole in it. Not too scary really, just another simple system with a pump in it. I drained mine, replaced pipe and the just refilled and turned the steering wheel a few times until the funny noises of air in the system stopped and then topped up the reservoir. The only bit I'd be wary of is undoing the Union shown in the video above which was very tight on mine and had me worrying about breaking the attached pipe. I had no choice and so persevered, but if it was just to change the fluid, I wouldn't take the risk as I'm not aware that it is a service item.

As far as other stuff, ARB bushes? Check handbrake shoes? Would leave AOS unless there is a problem. I found some oil in my throttle body, but no other symptoms, so left it well alone. When you say coils, do you mean coilpacks for the plugs? If so then it would be worth having a good look and replacing if there is evidence of cracking as they will work fine in the dry, but will then start misfiring when sprayed with water on a motorway or similar which is not when you want to discover there is an issue🙁

Just now, PaulQ said:

If not yet done then things like window regulators, door locks etc will fail at some point. 

Can't remember if the 03 cars have a fuel filter or not. 

Don't think so, think they stopped in 2002 at the latest.

What are you replacing for? Daily reliability or improved handling and performance?

Things like dampers, engine mount and gearbox mounts generally don't drop off a cliff and stop you moving. But they really enhance the enjoyment of the car.

Other things that may go with age are fuel pump, alternator, ignition and headlight switches. Alternator you normally get some warning of but the others normally work one night but not the next morning. 

The inner faces of the rear brake discs can deteriorate rather alarmingly and not easy to spot. Along with the coolant tank, these are the only things I have had to replace in my 5 years with the Boxster. Whilst doing these jobs, I also changed front discs, all pads, brake fluid, thermostat, water pump, belt and coolant.

Would not recommend changing the coolant tank unless you have to though:o.

Original coil packs on a 986?  I’d have a good look at them. 

I'd recommend finding a decent Indy and have them make up a 'to do' list, you'll know what does and doesn't need changing and can work through it at your own pace.

I took my car to Cotswolds Porsche, they made list up of works needed now, and stuff that could be done later.

Overall don't panic, drive the car, drive it hard and enjoy it  :)  that sweet sweet sound of the engine at 6500 rpm in second gear...... I say second gear because if your're in third you are already over 100 mph and we don't encourage that.

Slowly start shopping for parts, and ucmilating for the inevitable, however source wisely and bargains can be had if you know what you are doing. Come some horrible day when said part fails it's in storage, and generally with man maths, you had already got it and forgotten about the expense at the time, so it's like a repair for nothing...... If that makes sense?!!

On 11/13/2019 at 9:46 PM, bally4563 said:

Slowly start shopping for parts, and ucmilating for the inevitable, however source wisely and bargains can be had if you know what you are doing. Come some horrible day when said part fails it's in storage, and generally with man maths, you had already got it and forgotten about the expense at the time, so it's like a repair for nothing...... If that makes sense?!!

Outstanding logic!

Kind of like a pre-pay service plan.....

That's what I generally do as well. I currently have a spare rear light (bought two for £25 when I had the repairs done after the crash and only used the one), a spare steering wheel, and spare headlight (NSF). I also had a spare brake booster (£25 from Steve Strange) which came in very handy when I had the master cylinder replaced. Brakes are now brilliant again and hopefully will remain so for a long time. 

I keep scouring eBay for little bits which I think may be needed in the next few years and grab it when I can.

Drive it everyday if you can, that is the best preventative maintenance care you can do, these. Are like to be used and suffer when there stored up .

• Confused 1