Jump to content
www.BoXa.net

Alloy Wheel Insurance


Recommended Posts

What are peoples thoughts on Alloy Wheel Insurance?

I've done some comparisons online and the best I can find is £211 for 36 months cover.

That covers 3 x repairs up to £150 each in a 12 month period. So that's 9 x £150 repairs = £1,350 (round of applause for my maths)...

It's my wife's car and we'll look to trade it in in 3 yrs. It's got 21" black painted alloys which will be scuff magnets!

Has anyone any experience in this (getting quotes, claiming, having repairs done etc)? Is it worth it? Any tips?

Link to post
Share on other sites

So in 3 years you will spend £633. Will you lose that value over a scuffed wheel or 2? Even if you smart repair them will you even spend that much? 

What cover is there for irreparable damage? And how often have you buckled a wheel? How much is a second hand wheel on eBay? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dpg123 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Alloy Wheel Insurance?

I've done some comparisons online and the best I can find is £211 for 36 months cover.

That covers 3 x repairs up to £150 each in a 12 month period. So that's 9 x £150 repairs = £1,350 (round of applause for my maths)...

It's my wife's car and we'll look to trade it in in 3 yrs. It's got 21" black painted alloys which will be scuff magnets!

Has anyone any experience in this (getting quotes, claiming, having repairs done etc)? Is it worth it? Any tips?

I remember someone not being very happy with the standard of repair done under their insurance policy as you had no choice over who did the repair, so the insurance company will likely choose a cheap one. How precious are you about the wheels? Is it to avoid damage costs at the end of a lease? If so, you,may find that the repairs don't meet the standards of the lease company inspector.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a lease check your terms. I returned a lease Fiesta with the wheels damaged. It's often cheaper to pay the menu pricing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, edc said:

So in 3 years you will spend £633. Will you lose that value over a scuffed wheel or 2? Even if you smart repair them will you even spend that much? 

What cover is there for irreparable damage? And how often have you buckled a wheel? How much is a second hand wheel on eBay? 

Hi Ed,

I’ll look into the cover. For clarity, the £211 is for the full 36 months, not per year. I guess the value (or not) is all in the T’s&C’s

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I remember someone not being very happy with the standard of repair done under their insurance policy as you had no choice over who did the repair, so the insurance company will likely choose a cheap one. How precious are you about the wheels? Is it to avoid damage costs at the end of a lease? If so, you,may find that the repairs don't meet the standards of the lease company inspector.

I’ll look into it! The car’s on a PCP so not necessarily being handed back to the same dealer/may be traded in...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Hi Ed,

I’ll look into the cover. For clarity, the £211 is for the full 36 months, not per year. I guess the value (or not) is all in the T’s&C’s

It seems pretty cheap considering the potential to claim, so I suspect it is the sort of policy people take out and then don't get round to actually claiming on as they can't be bothered to dig out the paperwork. If you know you will get any damage repaired when it happens then it's probably a pretty good deal if you are keeping the car for the full 3 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting topic, I repair alloys for a living and do so for most of the main dealerships.

But I don’t do wheel insurance work, they use a separate firm of bodgers that just do smart repairs for the “wheel insurance customers “
 

It maybe suitable for a general PCP type car but I don’t recommend it for your pride and joy type cars!

You really do get what you pay for 😉 but equally it maybe enough just to hand the pcp car back to the dealership 👍

Edited by Lonewolfgjp
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just suck up the damage as it happens and spend the same on a quality 4 wheel refurb @3yrs (if needed)?  Power is in your hands then, with respect to who you choose and the $$ stays in your hands in the meantime.

Edited by Skidd
Link to post
Share on other sites

just my 2c...

I have alloy insurance on the GT3; was purchased when I bought the car - cant remember how much, but it was really cheap (came as part of a care package)

couple of years ago when I scratched the rim avoiding a cat I used the service.

Bearing in mind that the GT3 wheels are a satin 'brown' ish finish, and require centrelock removal, I was dubious that the outcome would be satisfactory.

Took the car into the OPC to remove the wheel, the repair guy came into them, couple of hours later, all done.

I could not, and still cant see the repair. It is that good.

I'm using the policy again (Today, actually) as I have two small scuffs on both nearside wheels (and I'm buggered how they got there - only me drives the car and I sure as hell haven't touched any kerbs!).  Again , being done in the OPC premises

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, dpg123 said:

What are peoples thoughts on Alloy Wheel Insurance?

I've done some comparisons online and the best I can find is £211 for 36 months cover.

That covers 3 x repairs up to £150 each in a 12 month period. So that's 9 x £150 repairs = £1,350 (round of applause for my maths)...

It's my wife's car and we'll look to trade it in in 3 yrs. It's got 21" black painted alloys which will be scuff magnets!

Has anyone any experience in this (getting quotes, claiming, having repairs done etc)? Is it worth it? Any tips?

I had a wheel damaged (caught the kerb refuelling)by OPC whilst returning car to me - Excel charged £250 for the one wheel as it has the part painted option.

The black is not the same as the centre caps 😒- so if given the choice I would buy it in the future and use OPC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...