www.BoXa.net
guitar-cellar

Expensive few weeks

Well, a couple of months in now to Porsche ownership, with a 2004 986 3.2S. Loving the car and hating the costs! So far, it’s a full inspection including bore scope, major service, new clutch, RMS, flywheel, exhaust clamps and sleeves and rear ARB. Hopefully nothing else until Spring!! My wife is very understanding, but I think I’ll be selling the MR2 to fund the maintenance costs!!

I forgot, also four wheel alignment, replacement interior temp sensor and break down cover, just in case!

It was an unloved puppy, but just think now all that is done, the fun your going to have in 2020 

Sounds similar to my experience. However you've now got a well sorted 986 which is a wonderful thing to have.

Now go and enjoy it 👍

That's a big outlay on a car.  You don't want me to ask now if it was all really necessary!

Hope it behaves itself and the other usual things at that age (eg suspension components, coil packs, engine mounts) are good for some time yet.

What's the mileage on it?

With that kind of outlay i hope it was cheap to buy and you knew what to expect. Should be well set up now anyway so as others have said, enjoy it! And welcome. 

The 3.2 doesn't bore score.

Where are you getting this work done?

• Like 1

I was told that the first year of Boxster ownership would cost £1000

Mine hasn’t disappointed

Well worth it though

I must have got lucky... I owned a 986S, 987S 3.2 and a 987S 3,4 as daily drivers for a total of 8 years and dont think they cost me £1000 in total maintenance costs.

I think cos you have read up too much .. And gone this could happen just waded in with your wallet flapping!!

As in RMS, well whilst you are at it change clutch and flywheel, and in the grand scheme of things  a lot of cars out there weep a bit but wait until it needs a clutch thus having inexpensive motoring and saving up until the work maybe required, there speaks a man who does not fritter money away and does all the work himself.      If required !! Bore scope ffs!!

8 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

I must have got lucky... I owned a 986S, 987S 3.2 and a 987S 3,4 as daily drivers for a total of 8 years and dont think they cost me £1000 in total maintenance costs.

But cost the next owners a small fortune 😉

Just now, Boxob said:

But cost the next owners a small fortune 😉

Not at all, I believe that 2 of the people are active on the forum and the cars have conyinued to need minimal maintenance despite both being north of 120,000 miles

2 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

You’ve either neglected your cars or that’s man maths at its best. Even if you did the service yourself the oils and filter, plugs and air filter once a year for 8yrs would be in excess of £1000,  not counting tyres etc and that would mean nothing at all went wrong with the cars.

my cars extremely reliable and very well maintained but if I calculated everything I have spent, I would be shocked so I don’t bother, I just enjoy it.

• Like 1

It's pot luck really on any 15+ year old car you buy, no matter what an inspection says they can't see a lot of things wrong with the car. Things will need repairing on car of that age, regardless of manufacture. A lot of other european cars don't make it to 10 years, let alone 15 years. I bought mine 1.5 years ago and after my next bill, I will have paid the purchase price in repairs. I don't really p*ss away money, I do preventative maintenance, but also jump on anything that needs doing mechanically straight away.

I'm having a few bits done next week and while not all of them are necessary right now , I'm like while you are down there, kinda guy, so a bit much probably. I do drive it every day though, so it probably bothers me more than a garage queen/weekend queen, I guess?

I'm having a MAF, AOS, gearbox & engine mounts and a gearbox code diagnosed (possibly down to low gear box oil level or a sensor is broken). It really is trigger's broom. 

I'm lucky enough to be in the position to afford this and do use it daily. Crazy really, money down the drain some might say, but I love it and it's worth it to me. I hope to have the car some more years yet.

Personally I feel, if you think you've researched the car and end up complaining about bills, you have failed and bought the wrong car. At the end of the day they are a 40k car 15 years ago and as such replace parts relatively in line with that cost. Makes it a similar price to a 718 today I think? 60-75k new today?

It's hard to put a price on the enjoyment and love one receives from a vehicle, but for me, the Boxster really is one of the best vehicles you can drive.

My friend has his 996 back soon after 9 months off the road, so I'm really excited about have some winter fun in the sun with him, weather permitting. 

Look after these cars and they do reward you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 911S said:

I was told that the first year of Boxster ownership would cost £1000

Blimey, mine cost more than that in the first week :lol:

2 hours ago, GmanB said:

It's hard to put a price on the enjoyment and love one receives from a vehicle, but for me, the Boxster really is one of the best vehicles you can drive.

This thread is all sounding pretty familiar to me, but this ^ pretty much sums it up.  I can't think of many other cars that are more desirable for the price I paid, even taking into account a few eye-watering bills along the way.  I've got a broken gearbox exhaust mounting bracket and all the coolant hoses being replaced by TWG Motorsport next week, so that will be an interesting bill.... :whistle1:

9 hours ago, the baron said:

You’ve either neglected your cars or that’s man maths at its best. Even if you did the service yourself the oils and filter, plugs and air filter once a year for 8yrs would be in excess of £1000,  not counting tyres etc and that would mean nothing at all went wrong with the cars.

my cars extremely reliable and very well maintained but if I calculated everything I have spent, I would be shocked so I don’t bother, I just enjoy it.

You change your spark plugs every year then? Must have money to burn ;)

Most of the maintenance issues reported here by new owners recently would have been picked up by a pre purchase inspection or even a knowledgeable owner giving the car a once over.

10 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Most of the maintenance issues reported here by new owners recently would have been picked up by a pre purchase inspection or even a knowledgeable owner giving the car a once over.

When I bought mine the seller said it would be "serviced" before sale, which translates to "just an oil and filter change Guv'nor" (and I'm not even sure they did that...).  When I asked what oil they used, he said "er... we only use decent quality oil..." which I took to mean "the cheapest we can find, but we won't tell you that, and I won't even say if it's synthetic/semi synthetic, or what brand, but definitely not Mobil 1" :lol:  Needless to say, that got changed again ASAP...

i bought a 987 Gen 2 to negate some of the internet research i had read - its still cost me money in 20 months - some routine maintenance, some repairs, even though it was fully serviced and the dealer did a lot of work to it before i picked it up - its still a 9yr old car so things break and wear out.

The only way i have avoided maintenance is to have cars on 2 year leases - no maintenance needed, but then again, its not a Porsche either.

Not sure its fair to bash the OP and say a PPI would have picked all of his issues up - nothing is 100%, especially with the internals. He doesn't say that the PPI missed any of the fixes hes had done like the clutch or RMS - they may well have been identified and not rectified because of the PPI. At the end of the day, he's spent the money and got it fixed, so he has a good car to go on from. everyone has different priorities, there is no one answer

Edited by Mattman42

32 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Not sure its fair to bash the OP and say a PPI would have picked all of his issues up - nothing is 100%, especially with the internals. He doesn't say that the PPI missed any of the fixes hes had done like the clutch or RMS - 

Does he actually say if its a pre or post purchase inspection.?

People seem to be buying cars, then getting the inspection done, which seems ar*e about face to me. 

8 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Does he actually say if its a pre or post purchase inspection.?

People seem to be buying cars, then getting the inspection done, which seems ar*e about face to me. 

each to their own @PaulQ, if that's the way they want to do it. Lets give the guy some slack rather than telling him hes done it wrong - its a friday after all and he's one of us now :)

• Like 1

You could spend the money on getting 1/2/3/4 etc cars inspected before purchasing then decide not to buy based on the results. Or you can find a car you like, buy it, get it inspected and brought up to standard for around the same money. (Depending on how many inspections you paid for to find the "right" car.)

No right or wrong way to do it, as always hindsight is not available beforehand. 😉

Edited by Scubaregs
  • Like 1

PPI

Is worth having if you don’t know much or can’t do yourself

Best used as a either walk away or a tool to negotiate a better deal.

And even then put the jobs as immediate or a well planned wish list, which can then be budgeted in over a period of time, sourcing parts yourself at bargain prices