www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
naim22

987 airbox

Its been a while (& many cars later), but I am back into Porsche ownership with a 2000MY 986 S

Really think the 986 is one of the best value cars out there & I appreciate the simplicity/enjoyment you can get from all these Porsches.

I dont think I will move away this time having tried other cars as none of them were quite as enjoyable for what I want from a car (although very good in their own right)

First job was a MAF change & noticed it was only held in with one screw (it appears the other one had rusted away at some point and been cut off) 

So it means the airbox will need to be swapped (if anyone has any advice on the best way to do this, it would be much appreciated).

Has anyone gone to the 987 airbox? Is this a worthwhile mod whilst I'm swapping anyway or is it pointless without a remap & TB change?

If you're doing it then you may as well do the 996 plenum and throttle body. It will only cost another £150 ish in parts. 

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the larger TB & plenum. Is there a specific 996 part needed or will any e-gas one do?

I've currently got a spare 986 Airbox in hand, I figured either way I'd need it to recover the MAF section to either adapt to the 987 intake (as I believe the actual 987 MAF housing is larger bore & thus would screw up the fuelling) or leave intact & replace like for like.

I guess the question is does it need a remap to be worthwhile? As that would be the most expensive part.

Doesn’t need a remap to work well, it may need one to run optimum.

I did the throttle body mod with the standard air box on my 986s and it worked  and ran fantastic 👌

My old thread here should help for the throttle body and plenum part numbers and give you an idea on the making up of the intake. 

I'm running, A K&N filter, 997 Throttlebody and Plemun, and larger piping with the snorkel removed - it frees up the engine past 3.5k revs - I used EDC thread an estimate for the power gains vs worthwhile doing etc - mine also has the Ebay stainless manifolds and by-pass-mod - I love every throttle press -  :)

Got the manifolds on order already 😁

Also sounds as though the 987 airbox isn't worth it? Doesn't look to be a very popular mod. I thought as it came on the 550 it would be an upgrade but mine is the earlier ECM so couldn't take the 550 engine calibration

Either way I need to change the airbox so seems a like for like would be best, both look difficult but the 986 one looks slightly easier

Thanks for the feedback so far 

I replied to your PM but I my half my message went. If you can sort the MAF then I would do the 987 airbox if you already have to change the existing one. The plenum and throttle body will be as easy to do whichever airbox you have. 

Or I think you can do 987 airbox and graft on the 986 MAF.