www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Chukkieegg

Big bang

While sitting in traffic Wednesday night for about 45mins had a massive bang from os front suspension it was if front shock and spring rebounded 

Car still drives fine but now for first couple of mins get a, grinding noise when braking it clears after suspension has moved a few times so not worn pads

Would worn antiroll bar bushes cause this? 

Also if it is likely arb bushes how do I tell if car has standard suspension it's a 2.5 base on a 98 vintage standard 16"rims so guessing standard suspension

Snapped spring is very common: surprised if it was stationary though.

Well I moved about 3foot in the 45mins but pretty sure I was stationary when the bang happened 

Broke spring does make sense but wouldn't that grind all the time? 

Definitely sounds like a spring snapped. It will grind depending on the loading typically you'll notice it turning one way more than the other. 

Edited by mike597

7 hours ago, Chukkieegg said:

Also if it is likely arb bushes how do I tell if car has standard suspension it's a 2.5 base on a 98 vintage standard 16"rims so guessing standard suspension

The cars option codes will include code M030 if it has sports suspension with thicker ARBs and lower suspension. It comes with 17" wheels. Of course there could have been some later suspension and wheel mods (although it would be unusual to go from 17" to 16" wheels).

Can happen while stationary. Sat in house once and heard one go on an old cavalier I had. Went out to see what noise was and found short bit on drive. Get a torch and look up in arch. Should see it if broken bit still stuck up there. 

18 hours ago, s3swiss said:

Can happen while stationary. Sat in house once and heard one go on an old cavalier I had. Went out to see what noise was and found short bit on drive. Get a torch and look up in arch. Should see it if broken bit still stuck up there. 

Ditto with an old Mx5, happened during Winter when it was garaged and unused.