Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Halfordwill

Ticking/clicking noise from the rear near side

Recommended Posts

I have a 2003 986 with 95,000 miles. I recently noticed a slight ticking/clicking noise from the nearside rear when turning around a roundabout. It is also just audible on the straight. I jacked up the car and rotated the wheel and the suspension and CV joints all appear to be fine. I found a car park and did some slow left and right 360 degree turns but didn’t hear anything.  I found a stone in the tread which I thought was the culprit but unfortunately wasn’t. 
I thought it was a CV joint on the way out but I’m not sure any ideas please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CV joint would have been my first guess too.  Good luck tracing the problem and I hope its not too costly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stone stuck in  calliper Shield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a stone stuck in the caliper shield just the other day. For a second or two I thought I was going to have to spend more money on getting something major fixed! Sounded awful but as soon as the stone dropped out all was good again :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly your handbrake shoes breaking apart or a spring in the mechanism has broken and come adrift. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies, I have checked for stones and there are none. I have checked all of the suspension and although probably coming up for a refresh nothing appears untoward.


I checked the power steering fluid in case the knock was from a low fluid level combined with a right turn.

i have turned over the wheel whilst elevated and I cannot feel anything in the Cv joints or wheel bearing  

on driving again it’s still there and you can make it easier to hear with a harsher turn  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be power steering pump, Ive replaced mine recently, well, CPS did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Halfordwill said:

Thanks for the replies, I have checked for stones and there are none. I have checked all of the suspension and although probably coming up for a refresh nothing appears untoward.


I checked the power steering fluid in case the knock was from a low fluid level combined with a right turn.

i have turned over the wheel whilst elevated and I cannot feel anything in the Cv joints or wheel bearing  

on driving again it’s still there and you can make it easier to hear with a harsher turn  

 

Hi

Have you checked the MOT history for any observations concerning a split CV gaitor?-The reason I mention this is mine had an MOT mention and many years later I'm under the car replacing a CV joint.....You could try repacking with grease to listen for any improvement.

I wouldn't think you would hear a SLIGHTLY worn CV joint without loading it eg: via on a roundabout...

Edited by charlieboy2608

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an update I ordered a CV joint and removed the rear driveshaft, as I did so I noticed that the centre hub nut was literally only hand tight. 
I removed the shaft anyway and all looked good with only a tiny amount of play on the outer CV joint. 
So I replaced it all re greased and new nut and no more clicking sound. 
I think that someone did some work on the hub and either used the same nut or didn’t torque it up. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it speed related? 
 

it could be your handbrake cable touching the inside of your wheel rim. I had this on a couple of 986s. Park up on level ground and check clearance with handbrake off. 
 

first time I confess, I lifted the handbrake a click and it went away, then another click until...well, you can image I learned the hard way😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, you’ve fixed it. That will teach me not to speed read and post😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Is it speed related? 
 

it could be your handbrake cable touching the inside of your wheel rim. I had this on a couple of 986s. Park up on level ground and check clearance with handbrake off. 
 

first time I confess, I lifted the handbrake a click and it went away, then another click until...well, you can image I learned the hard way😖

Edit: Sorry, I've noticed mine are very close to touching the tyres when lifted, but that maybe due to not having the weight on the suspension.

I have a very minor noise which is only noticeable at lower speeds and only with the roof up. I've been really confused about it for a long time and just thinking this could be the problem. What would the fix be for this?

Edited by GmanB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GmanB said:

Edit: Sorry, I've noticed mine are very close to touching the tyres when lifted, but that maybe due to not having the weight on the suspension.

I have a very minor noise which is only noticeable at lower speeds and only with the roof up. I've been really confused about it for a long time and just thinking this could be the problem. What would the fix be for this?

Heavy duty zip tie👍
fitting may involve a reach around😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...