www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Halfordwill

Ticking/clicking noise from the rear near side

I have a 2003 986 with 95,000 miles. I recently noticed a slight ticking/clicking noise from the nearside rear when turning around a roundabout. It is also just audible on the straight. I jacked up the car and rotated the wheel and the suspension and CV joints all appear to be fine. I found a car park and did some slow left and right 360 degree turns but didn’t hear anything.  I found a stone in the tread which I thought was the culprit but unfortunately wasn’t. 
I thought it was a CV joint on the way out but I’m not sure any ideas please?

CV joint would have been my first guess too.  Good luck tracing the problem and I hope its not too costly.

Stone stuck in  calliper Shield

I had a stone stuck in the caliper shield just the other day. For a second or two I thought I was going to have to spend more money on getting something major fixed! Sounded awful but as soon as the stone dropped out all was good again :)

Possibly your handbrake shoes breaking apart or a spring in the mechanism has broken and come adrift. 

Thanks for the replies, I have checked for stones and there are none. I have checked all of the suspension and although probably coming up for a refresh nothing appears untoward.

I checked the power steering fluid in case the knock was from a low fluid level combined with a right turn.

i have turned over the wheel whilst elevated and I cannot feel anything in the Cv joints or wheel bearing  

on driving again it’s still there and you can make it easier to hear with a harsher turn  

Could be power steering pump, Ive replaced mine recently, well, CPS did

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Halfordwill said:

Thanks for the replies, I have checked for stones and there are none. I have checked all of the suspension and although probably coming up for a refresh nothing appears untoward.

I checked the power steering fluid in case the knock was from a low fluid level combined with a right turn.

i have turned over the wheel whilst elevated and I cannot feel anything in the Cv joints or wheel bearing  

on driving again it’s still there and you can make it easier to hear with a harsher turn  

Hi

Have you checked the MOT history for any observations concerning a split CV gaitor?-The reason I mention this is mine had an MOT mention and many years later I'm under the car replacing a CV joint.....You could try repacking with grease to listen for any improvement.

I wouldn't think you would hear a SLIGHTLY worn CV joint without loading it eg: via on a roundabout...

Edited by charlieboy2608

As an update I ordered a CV joint and removed the rear driveshaft, as I did so I noticed that the centre hub nut was literally only hand tight. 
I removed the shaft anyway and all looked good with only a tiny amount of play on the outer CV joint. 
So I replaced it all re greased and new nut and no more clicking sound. 
I think that someone did some work on the hub and either used the same nut or didn’t torque it up. 

• Confused 1

Is it speed related? 

it could be your handbrake cable touching the inside of your wheel rim. I had this on a couple of 986s. Park up on level ground and check clearance with handbrake off. 

first time I confess, I lifted the handbrake a click and it went away, then another click until...well, you can image I learned the hard way😖

Oh, you’ve fixed it. That will teach me not to speed read and post😖

5 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Is it speed related? 

it could be your handbrake cable touching the inside of your wheel rim. I had this on a couple of 986s. Park up on level ground and check clearance with handbrake off. 

first time I confess, I lifted the handbrake a click and it went away, then another click until...well, you can image I learned the hard way😖

Edit: Sorry, I've noticed mine are very close to touching the tyres when lifted, but that maybe due to not having the weight on the suspension.

I have a very minor noise which is only noticeable at lower speeds and only with the roof up. I've been really confused about it for a long time and just thinking this could be the problem. What would the fix be for this?

Edited by GmanB

19 hours ago, GmanB said:

Edit: Sorry, I've noticed mine are very close to touching the tyres when lifted, but that maybe due to not having the weight on the suspension.

I have a very minor noise which is only noticeable at lower speeds and only with the roof up. I've been really confused about it for a long time and just thinking this could be the problem. What would the fix be for this?

Heavy duty zip tie👍
fitting may involve a reach around😬