www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
some bloke

Dodgey Windscreen Demister Switch?

Hi all, I have an intermittent problem with my 1998 Boxster heater switch. Just recently it has begun not turning on straight away when I hit the windsceen demist button. The fan speed indicator goes to full like it's supposed too but the fan doesn't start. It seems to come on when I go over a bump just down the road - may be a coincidence but it's happened twice now. The heater fan won't come on when I increase the fan speed either. I have taken the pollen filter out and checked to see if the fan is catching or jammed but it sems to rotate just fine when I reach in and spin it.

Has anybody struck something like this before? Thanks in advance.

Edited by some bloke
spelling

I think I can help you. Just after I bought my Boxster I noticed that there was something wrong with the heater fan. Sometimes it would blow and sometimes it wouldn't. The heater display was toast to begin with so I replaced the LCD screen. At least then I could see and verify that the blower was on full blast even if it wasn't blowing. Scratched my head thinking there is a dry joint somewhere in the fan or the fan switch that makes intermittent contact. Then I also noticed that the headlight switch sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Started thinking that I need to replace the switch....

The solution? A worn ignition switch! The key turns just a tiny bit too far and then won't make proper contact to allow the heater fan, headlights, windshield wipers and I don't know what else, to work. Now, after I start the car i turn the key a tiny bit back in the ignition switch and it's absolutely fine. Everything works perfectly now. I suppose I shall eventually have to fix or replace the ignition switch but for now it's fine.

Have a look at yours and see if that solves your problem.

Hi RedBare, thanks for the response - I think I saw ths somewhere else on the forum/internet. The other things you mention all seem to work ok but I will investigate further tomorrow. I may try swapping relays tomorrow as well.

It’s possibly the ignition switch. Turn the key back a little after you start the car 

Hi Senna, I have been laid up with manflu and only just checked this out. Looks like that may be the problem. Thanks for your input.

Edited by some bloke

I've swapped the back end of the ignition switch out so hopefully that will cure the problem. It took about half an hour, had to go in through the drivers side vent to get to the screws on the top of the switch. Most of the toime was spent trying to line up the curved vent to get it back in.

Edited by some bloke
speling

So, it turns out its a dodgey heater motor. The auto sparky showed me where to thump to get it working. Will fit a new one in the coming months.

Little a good thump can’t sort for at least a while... 

... thinking of trying this at work too🤬

• Like 1