Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
naim22

Waterless Coolant

Recommended Posts

I'm going to swap the water pump and thermostat over as a preventative measure as I'm not sure when the water pump was last done

As part of this I'll drop the coolant and renew

Has anyone tried the waterless coolant? I know that it is the water that has a higher cooling capability in the conventional mix so this might be a disadvantage of going waterless

Is there any point given the water pump needs doing routinely on these anyway? And is thus a prime time to drop the coolant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, naim22 said:

the water pump needs doing routinely on these

According to who? There isn't a recommended change interval on these. Know of several that are original on 100k miles plus. Not saying they don't fail, but still...

You've already stated a disadvantage of waterless coolant, that combined with the fact that these engines do not take kindly to being run too hot, prompts a genuine question - what advantage would waterless coolant have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

According to who? There isn't a recommended change interval on these. Know of several that are original on 100k miles plus. Not saying they don't fail, but still...

You've already stated a disadvantage of waterless coolant, that combined with the fact that these engines do not take kindly to being run too hot, prompts a genuine question - what advantage would waterless coolant have?

This is based on my own experience with these cars, I prefer for my own peace of mind to change it.

My understanding is that internal corrosion is reduced by running it. So in theory a thorough flush of the system and fill with waterless coolant could prevent this from happening

Have you tried it in your car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waterless coolant discussed here some years ago. Myth busted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waterless coolant came up in conversation once, with someone who restores and maintains old F1 cars for a living. They were firmly against it because of the reduced heat dissipation properties.

Wouldn't an appropriate coolant, mixed with the correct ratio of deionised water, should prevent (any measurable) corrosion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Waterless coolant discussed here some years ago. Myth busted. 

And the outcome of that was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely makes sense that in a racing environment it wouldnt be a good idea.  the fact that its heat capacity is lower than water and that (most) racing engines are very frequently maintained or rebuilt negates it. It wouldn't surprise me if F1 engines used pure distilled water as coolant but I have never spoken to or know a cooling engineer who works on F1 powerpacks, only on road car ones. (This also begs the question how they cool the battery in warmer climates as they have no HVAC/refrigerant to do so... 🤔)

An advantage for waterless also might be that it in theory never needs to be replaced. Even the cleanest systems will inevitably corrode/react due to the pH decreasing as the inhibitors lose effectiveness. 

Is there a link to the previous thread anywhere? Sounds like it might be an interesting read.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere that Porsche said you'll never need to replace the coolant. Obviously that's total rubbish as it needs replacing when the expansion tank fails! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GmanB said:

I read somewhere that Porsche said you'll never need to replace the coolant. Obviously that's total rubbish as it needs replacing when the expansion tank fails! 

or a hose, or a rad core....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@naim22  Do a search. Only a handful of threads on here about this........ 

Edited by PaulQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

And the outcome of that was?

Snake oil, IIRC. 

Cant easily search on phone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

or a hose, or a rad core....

Same for all manufacturers. Many also say that auto boxes are sealed for life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, edc said:

Same for all manufacturers. Many also say that auto boxes are sealed for life. 

In this case I have found the definition of life to be variable.

Life infers to me whilst the vehicle is on the road or in use, but what can actually be meant is the life expectancy the average vehicle has by the manufacturer. As this is usually a time or mileage it can indirectly infer a service interval and can be unique to each OEM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, naim22 said:

In this case I have found the definition of life to be variable.

Life infers to me whilst the vehicle is on the road or in use, but what can actually be meant is the life expectancy the average vehicle has by the manufacturer. As this is usually a time or mileage it can indirectly infer a service interval and can be unique to each OEM

Subtle difference between 'for life' and 'for ever'....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Subtle difference between 'for life' and 'for ever'....

One being linked to warranty expiry date and the other being linked Wallet sapping powers greater than Emelda Marcos at a shoe fair on Rodeo Drive😳

Edited by Mr96er
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...