www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
naim22

Waterless Coolant

I'm going to swap the water pump and thermostat over as a preventative measure as I'm not sure when the water pump was last done

As part of this I'll drop the coolant and renew

Has anyone tried the waterless coolant? I know that it is the water that has a higher cooling capability in the conventional mix so this might be a disadvantage of going waterless

Is there any point given the water pump needs doing routinely on these anyway? And is thus a prime time to drop the coolant

51 minutes ago, naim22 said:

the water pump needs doing routinely on these

According to who? There isn't a recommended change interval on these. Know of several that are original on 100k miles plus. Not saying they don't fail, but still...

You've already stated a disadvantage of waterless coolant, that combined with the fact that these engines do not take kindly to being run too hot, prompts a genuine question - what advantage would waterless coolant have?

27 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

According to who? There isn't a recommended change interval on these. Know of several that are original on 100k miles plus. Not saying they don't fail, but still...

You've already stated a disadvantage of waterless coolant, that combined with the fact that these engines do not take kindly to being run too hot, prompts a genuine question - what advantage would waterless coolant have?

This is based on my own experience with these cars, I prefer for my own peace of mind to change it.

My understanding is that internal corrosion is reduced by running it. So in theory a thorough flush of the system and fill with waterless coolant could prevent this from happening

Have you tried it in your car?

Waterless coolant discussed here some years ago. Myth busted. 

Waterless coolant came up in conversation once, with someone who restores and maintains old F1 cars for a living. They were firmly against it because of the reduced heat dissipation properties.

Wouldn't an appropriate coolant, mixed with the correct ratio of deionised water, should prevent (any measurable) corrosion?

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Waterless coolant discussed here some years ago. Myth busted. 

And the outcome of that was?

Definitely makes sense that in a racing environment it wouldnt be a good idea.  the fact that its heat capacity is lower than water and that (most) racing engines are very frequently maintained or rebuilt negates it. It wouldn't surprise me if F1 engines used pure distilled water as coolant but I have never spoken to or know a cooling engineer who works on F1 powerpacks, only on road car ones. (This also begs the question how they cool the battery in warmer climates as they have no HVAC/refrigerant to do so... 🤔)

An advantage for waterless also might be that it in theory never needs to be replaced. Even the cleanest systems will inevitably corrode/react due to the pH decreasing as the inhibitors lose effectiveness. 

Is there a link to the previous thread anywhere? Sounds like it might be an interesting read.

I read somewhere that Porsche said you'll never need to replace the coolant. Obviously that's total rubbish as it needs replacing when the expansion tank fails! 

9 hours ago, GmanB said:

I read somewhere that Porsche said you'll never need to replace the coolant. Obviously that's total rubbish as it needs replacing when the expansion tank fails! 

or a hose, or a rad core....

@naim22  Do a search. Only a handful of threads on here about this........ 

Edited by PaulQ

12 hours ago, K.I.T.T. said:

And the outcome of that was?

Snake oil, IIRC. 

Cant easily search on phone. 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

or a hose, or a rad core....

Same for all manufacturers. Many also say that auto boxes are sealed for life. 

4 hours ago, edc said:

Same for all manufacturers. Many also say that auto boxes are sealed for life. 

In this case I have found the definition of life to be variable.

Life infers to me whilst the vehicle is on the road or in use, but what can actually be meant is the life expectancy the average vehicle has by the manufacturer. As this is usually a time or mileage it can indirectly infer a service interval and can be unique to each OEM

15 hours ago, naim22 said:

In this case I have found the definition of life to be variable.

Life infers to me whilst the vehicle is on the road or in use, but what can actually be meant is the life expectancy the average vehicle has by the manufacturer. As this is usually a time or mileage it can indirectly infer a service interval and can be unique to each OEM

Subtle difference between 'for life' and 'for ever'....

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Subtle difference between 'for life' and 'for ever'....

One being linked to warranty expiry date and the other being linked Wallet sapping powers greater than Emelda Marcos at a shoe fair on Rodeo Drive😳

Edited by Mr96er
  • Haha 1