www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
K78

Thoughts on this car?

I had a Boxster pdk as a courtesy car for a few months back in 2009. I loved the pdk box and I’m currently looking for a new (to me) car. 

I don’t know much about spec on these cars and would appreciate opinions on this.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901184062272?radius=1500&model=CAYMAN&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0&sort=relevance&colour=Black&make=PORSCHE&year-from=2013&postcode=m347re&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Thanks

Edited by K78

Hi @K78

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a nice car and reasonably priced.

Not a Boxster though - obviously!! So if a convertible is what you want this is not it...

Apart from that it is fairly low spec, but depends on what's important to you.

No climate control, heated seats, sport chrono or  cruise control and maybe no sat nav or Bose. None of which are deal breakers.

Hard to see centre console clearly, so not sure about active suspension and sports exhaust, but unlikely to have them from what I can see. Standard suspension is fine and exhaust can be added later if you want.

Nice wheels and interior, also I agree that the PDK gearbox is awesome.

Main thing is to check service history and MOT record for any problems. Get the reg number off the dealer and use online MOT check.

Car looks to be in good condition, mileage is low for year, any warranty?

Check tyre condition as they are expensive to replace, check when last service was done as it was due its 4 year major service in 2019, which is also expensive.

Those wheels are 20" diameter by the way, despite what the advert says twice over!

Here's a similarly priced Boxster, a year older and slightly higher mileage, but higher spec.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912095167909?atmobcid=soc3

Let us know how get on!

Edited by RBD914 v2
  • Like 2

As said above, this looks like a very good price for a 2015 CaymanS with just 18k miles.  One reason for the price is the relatively low spec, if that’s the only reason for the price then it could be a decent buy, that’s as long as you don’t mind about even fairly basic options like parking sensors, sat Nav, climate control etc.  On the positive side it does have the sport design wheel with paddles which (for me) is essential on the Pdk.

Edited by Greenman
  • Like 1

Aside from the car itself the reviews on the dealers are pretty damning..  I'd see what you can get for your budget on Porsche used cars personally.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. I actually want a cayman rather than a boxster. 

I thought the price seemed good. Lack of options will bug me and damage saleability though. 

Back to the drawing board I guess. 

2 hours ago, K78 said:

I thought the price seemed good. Lack of options will bug me and damage saleability though. 

Are you buying it to drive, or to sell?😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Are you buying it to drive, or to sell?😉

I’ve lost a fortune on cars over the years. I just won’t do it anymore. Won’t buy new again.

I had a midlife wobble a few months back. Nearly sold my buy to let to buy a 991.1 GT3. On the basis I’d keep it for as long as I could and not really lose anything. Then I read about the engine issues. I can’t afford a 100k car but man maths does strange things when you turn 40 😊

My thinking was a low mile 981s would be a good choice. Won’t lose much on it and I don’t do big miles.

“No climate control, heated seats, sport chrono or cruise control and maybe no sat nav or Bose“ as mentioned above would be deal breakers for me. It would be my daily not a occasional track car.

Dealer was way under even wbac with his trade in offer so it would be a no go anyway. Probably better to sell mine rather than trade with a dealer.

I wasn’t even thinking of buying a car, but my friend suggested trading my truck against his M3. We didn’t do it but it got me thinking and now I want a change.

11 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Aside from the car itself the reviews on the dealers are pretty damning..  I'd see what you can get for your budget on Porsche used cars personally.

I find Porsche a bit difficult to deal with. I’m not a fan of dealers generally but ones that act like they are doing you a favour selling you a car take the biscuit.

If I can, I always buy low owner cars privately now. 

6 hours ago, K78 said:

I find Porsche a bit difficult to deal with. I’m not a fan of dealers generally but ones that act like they are doing you a favour selling you a car take the biscuit.

What's your budget?

17 hours ago, K78 said:

thought the price seemed good. Lack of options will bug me and damage saleability though

It will make it more difficult to sell at a good price, but then this is £5k cheaper than an equivalent high specced example, so you can always sell a relatively cheap car.  Obviously if you actually want some of those options then that’s a different matter, as a daily lack of some might rankle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, K78 said:

I don't think any of us are really, but they are the gatekeepers to some nice machinery so a necessary evil.  I'd happily go back to a Porsche dealership in the full knowledge it's an expensive choice, but if you have any issues you are more likely I'd say to get it resolved amicably.  I just wouldn't be comfortable with a non brand specific general trade dealer..

• Like 1

the best time to get a bargain is when you are buying - thats where you get the resale value if you are only planning a short ownership.

As above, you can sell anything if its priced right so no point trying to buy a spec for the next owner - buy what you want and need - Porsche specs are all over the place anyway so you rarely find the same spec cars anywhere.

Try the independents as well as the private ads - excellent time to buy just after xmas where people may be looking to gain some cash back. of course you don't get the same seasonal bounce with a Cayman that you do with a Box,  but there aren't many people out there willing/able to spend £30k privately, so use this to your advantage

p.s. looks like the car is sold - did you buy it?

• Like 1

I love negotiating when buying cars and bikes. Glasgow OPC was probably the best experience I’ve had, bent over backwards to help me, test drive was simple to arrange, negotiations were professional and pleasant and I managed a substantial discount on a new, unregistered car. Aftersales so far has been spot on. In order to secure the car I took a PCP which they new would be paid off in full after one payment and the negotiation reflected the cost of doing this as part of the deal. When it turned out to be a higher cost than we had worked out to do this when I did pay it off, the OPC immediately agreed to cover the difference as it was agreed I would incur no costs going down this route.

• Like 2

The dealer of the original car I posted has increased his px offer from £14k to £17k this morning. 

It has disappeared from AT though so may well have sold. 

20 hours ago, RBD914 v2 said:

What's your budget

That car is towards the upper limit of my budget. Im a third of the way through a self build so most of my cash is tied up

I was not planning on changing but a friend suggested doing a deal for his f80 m3. It did not happen (white leather and no hud the main reasons), but it got me thinking about having a change. 

Any purchase would be dependent on getting a good price for my truck. It’s got every option possible and has only done 28k miles. I’m not in a rush and vw trucks and vans hold their value relatively well. 

I was interested in the signal green f80 m3 at redline but it sold today. 

I was in a similar situation as you budget was about 30K, i then increased to 35K, then i started looking at 718s which were high 30's.   I really wanted red and there wasn't many, you already have sound advice on here about buying the car for you and not worrying about the spec and resale, I wish i had just looked at more 981s in general, just to get a feel for the extras and spec.   One thing I really wanted was PSE and ending getting one without it lol so i didnt listen to my own advice.   Being my first Porsche the spec's are confusing and very hard to offset one car against another so it really comes down to what you really want and can live with, Sat nav i've never used it,  PASM ive put it on once,  the sports and sports+ ive had a put them on the off occasion. They are such great cars you forgot most of that and just love driving it. 

I picked up at the end of September a one owner guards red 918s with 30k miles (full OPS servicing),  had a decent spec but no PSE and sport seats, and it had the horrible plastic steering wheel which i will swap out at some stage which but i factored the cost of appx £1000 into my offer price.   I've had a good DIY go on it with changing the seats belts from black to Red,  embossed centre console lid,  puddle lights, GTS rear lights etc and i've got the car I wanted for about 30k 

If i was to do it again i'd go and see and test drive alot more cars in the dealers, get a feel for the spec and extras that you need and base your search on that, expecially if your not bothered about the colour as that really makes it hard

4 hours ago, robporsche said:

I was in a similar situation as you budget was about 30K, i then increased to 35K, then i started looking at 718s which were high 30's.   I really wanted red and there wasn't many, you already have sound advice on here about buying the car for you and not worrying about the spec and resale, I wish i had just looked at more 981s in general, just to get a feel for the extras and spec.   One thing I really wanted was PSE and ending getting one without it lol so i didnt listen to my own advice.   Being my first Porsche the spec's are confusing and very hard to offset one car against another so it really comes down to what you really want and can live with, Sat nav i've never used it,  PASM ive put it on once,  the sports and sports+ ive had a put them on the off occasion. They are such great cars you forgot most of that and just love driving it. 

I picked up at the end of September a one owner guards red 918s with 30k miles (full OPS servicing),  had a decent spec but no PSE and sport seats, and it had the horrible plastic steering wheel which i will swap out at some stage which but i factored the cost of appx £1000 into my offer price.   I've had a good DIY go on it with changing the seats belts from black to Red,  embossed centre console lid,  puddle lights, GTS rear lights etc and i've got the car I wanted for about 30k 

If i was to do it again i'd go and see and test drive alot more cars in the dealers, get a feel for the spec and extras that you need and base your search on that, expecially if your not bothered about the colour as that really makes it 

PASM is always ON.

52 minutes ago, zainster said:

PASM is always ON.

It's like a magic carpet ride.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robporsche said:

If i was to do it again i'd go and see and test drive alot more cars in the dealers, get a feel for the spec and extras that you need and base your search on that, expecially if your not bothered about the colour as that really makes it hard

It’s a really awkward price range to be looking for a car around £30k. You see a lot of well spaced cars you don’t really want, and the cheaper end of cars that you would like to own. 

That car really tempts me, but I know the lack of climate, sat nav and Bose would have been a issue for a daily.

He’s not come back to me today so I assume it sold. He said he wanted to clear a few cars to make room for some stock.

At least I can stop thinking about it day and night now. It’s amazing how these things keep you awake all night. 

Edited by K78

21 minutes ago, K78 said:

That car really tempts me, but I know the lack of climate, sat nav and Bose would have been a issue for a daily.

So as a daily would it really bug you? Climate - I have it and could happily live without, the car has AC as standard and the roof comes off. Sat nav - do you actually not know where you're going most of the time? Bose - no big deal, fit an after market unit if it is.

I have all these things on my car because I could, but it wouldn't cause me any problems if it didn't have them. 

Now, PSE would be a deal breaker for me.

Edited by topradio
add more guff

48 minutes ago, topradio said:

So as a daily would it really bug you? Climate - I have it and could happily live without, the car has AC as standard and the roof comes off. Sat nav - do you actually not know where you're going most of the time? Bose - no big deal, fit an after market unit if it is.

I have all these things on my car because I could, but it wouldn't cause me any problems if it didn't have them. 

Now, PSE would be a deal breaker for me.

I definitely agree with pse. It’s criminal that a akra would invalidate your warranty. Porsche’s are unusual in the sense I get the impression anything aftermarket is frowned up on and ruins warranty and resale?

I think with the options I listed. It’s more of a “I’m used to them” thing. I also plan to keep my next car for a while so it would grate after a while. I guess because you can’t really change or add anything I would want the right spec to begin with.

2 hours ago, K78 said:

It’s a really awkward price range to be looking for a car around £30k. You see a lot of well spaced cars you don’t really want, and the cheaper end of cars that you would like to own. 

He’s not come back to me today so I assume it sold. He said he wanted to clear a few cars to make room for some stock.

At least I can stop thinking about it day and night now. It’s amazing how these things keep you awake all night. 

i was impatient, i always am when buying cars and having jsut gone through the same process trying to get a little mini for my daughter the whole process really wasnt much different, her only requirement was that as long as she could play her music, wasnt bothered about heated seats, or leather etc and its her first car but i found myself trying to get all the extras when really unless you ae bothered about them im not 100% it makes it any more money when it sells, maybe easier in some cases.

all of those, climate, sat nav and bose wouldnt bother me at all in not having those.

One thing that is confusing me is that cayman 981 prices are all over the place? They used to be so predictable. Never much price difference between similar cars. 

Some nice Boxsters but when I have a convertible the rain doesn’t stop. Sold my last one in April 2018 just before the best summer ever and after 4 summers of solid rain. 

1 hour ago, robporsche said:

i was impatient, i always am when buying cars and having jsut gone through the same process trying to get a little mini for my daughter the whole process really wasnt much different, her only requirement was that as long as she could play her music, wasnt bothered about heated seats, or leather etc and its her first car but i found myself trying to get all the extras when really unless you ae bothered about them im not 100% it makes it any more money when it sells, maybe easier in some cases.

all of those, climate, sat nav and bose wouldnt bother me at all in not having those.

It seems to be climate, pse, chrono, satnav,  Bose and a few minor things. Little things can irritate me with cars. 

Im sure if I ever tried to trade it in with Porsche they would beat me up bad with that spec. I’m determined to keep my next car for a while though.