www.BoXa.net
ATM

Passenger door handle/s not opening door

This is on my 996 but I presume its all the same.

As per the title if I unlock the car and pull the passenger side door handle then the window moves a bit as you'd expect but the door catch does not open.  I managed to get it to work once by repeating the procedure several times and trying the interior and exterior handle too - not sure.  I tried it again this morning and it refused to open.  So outside and inside handles not working.  I think the car knows it is unlocked because the window is moving.  Either the lock catch is jammed or something is disconnected. They were working until recently.  Its just suddenly happened.

Thanks

Possibly the door lock module. Had similar on a Golf.

Try hitting the door lock area with the bottom fist as you pull on the release and if you have someone to assist get them to pull on the interior handle at the same time.

18 minutes ago, Shazbot said:

Possibly the door lock module. Had similar on a Golf.

Try hitting the door lock area with the bottom fist as you pull on the release and if you have someone to assist get them to pull on the interior handle at the same time.

Bit hard to do that if he can't open the door from either side! 

I had this and assumed it was a sticking microswitch. It was intermittent. I happened to have the car at a bodyshop and they stripped the door and cleaned the lock module and it worked for many months more but I eventually swapped it out with a VW golf unit.

Meanwhile you could try spraying WD40, Plus Gas or similar on the lock module for above by bypassing the exterior window seal with the little tube that usually comes with the cans. As mentioned above try shocking the module by locking and unlocking and by thumping the door skin and door card - not too hard though! 

Once the door opens swap out the lock module.

The modules use lead free solder which dries out and causes a disconnect. By hitting the lock area (outside) sometimes makes a contact thus allowing the microswitches to send the signal to the deadlock.

20 hours ago, edc said:

Bit hard to do that if he can't open the door from either side! 

Perhaps my explanation was not detailed enough , but this method is well known in Golf Mk4 circles

To echo Shazbot, I had a similar issue on my car. Continually thumping just below the handle (outside) whilst pulling the handle worked for me. i had already ordered the new (VW Golf/Bora) part and fitted it once the door was open.

Yep, same here, you can try knocking the inside door plate and spraying the micro switches with wd40 all temporary fixes, I ended buying a new door lock module from Porsche, around £150 from Porsche from memory, PITA to do but doable.

I've been trying this now daily and it refuses to open.  So even if I decide to buy a new door lock module [what exactly do I need to buy] how am I supposed to change it - assuming I need to get the interior door panel off?

You do need to open the door to change the locking module. Have you tried the WD40 / Plus gas 'trick'?

I had a situation with my drivers door where the door lock had seized. There's a metal pivot thing that the pull cable attaches to and it had rusted and seized the unit. I managed to pop the door-card off enough to get mu hands in. By this point i knew the anatomy of the mechanism quite well so fumbled until I found the part that operated the door catch and managed to open the door that way. However, in that scenario, the door wasn't locked as such, more that the actual mechanism was stuck.

To remove the panel, I popped the fasteners by pulling at any areas I could get my fingers behind. Along the base was easiest if I remember correctly. The more of those fasteners that come undone, the easier the rest became.

Ok thanks

So I can get the door panel off while the door is shut. I'll give that a go.

Not the easiest of tasks, but it was way easier than I had anticipated. I think you've got the other door card off, so you can use that as reference of where the clips are.  If I recall correctly, I reached in (without knowing what the cause of the issue was) and eventually managed to rotate the seized/corroded part which was the 'L' shaped metal part in the main pic below (ignore the arrow). Worth a try I'd say.

Pic5.jpg

12 hours ago, ATM said:

Thanks

So that is the actual lock or catch?

That's the lock module which includes the catch and all the micro switches.

45 minutes ago, Boxob said:

That's the lock module which includes the catch and all the micro switches.

Great

So by moving levers on it I can get it to open?

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Great

So by moving levers on it I can get it to open?

Not sure myself. I don't know exactly how the lock works and what your car's lock issue is. If your car's exterior and internal handles have become disconnected from the module then moving the levers by hand could work. However if the handles are still connected (and my guess is they are) then moving the levers by hand presumably will do no more than what the handles are doing.  My assumption is a sticking microswitch or another electrical fault electronically disconnects the levers from the catch part (but I could be wrong).  However if you are able to gain access to the locking module you have a better chance of freeing any sticking microswitch.

@Gutley had a similar situation? The deadlock locked.

This worked

Normal lock unlock doesn’t unlock it, but one of the following two did
1.  Double tap the key button
2. Tap and hold the key button

Good luck

46 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Not sure myself. I don't know exactly how the lock works and what your car's lock issue is. If your car's exterior and internal handles have become disconnected from the module then moving the levers by hand could work. However if the handles are still connected (and my guess is they are) then moving the levers by hand presumably will do no more than what the handles are doing.  My assumption is a sticking microswitch or another electrical fault electronically disconnects the levers from the catch part (but I could be wrong).  However if you are able to gain access to the locking module you have a better chance of freeing any sticking microswitch.

After I posted this I remembered I have the lock I removed from my car which had the same opening issue as your lock (i.e. not opening and feeling like the handles were disconnected) although when I removed it it was working.  

I've tried to lock the catch using a screwdriver and whilst I can move the catch it does not snap closed nor does it lock closed. I can open it moving the catch with the screwdriver. None of the levers move the catch either to open or close it.

My assumption is as there is no electricity going to the lock module it does not function. In my mind this points to the need for electricity which is probably not reaching your lock module due to an sticking microswitch.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:59 PM, T24RES said:

@Gutley had a similar situation? The deadlock locked.

This worked

Normal lock unlock doesn’t unlock it, but one of the following two did
1.  Double tap the key button
2. Tap and hold the key button

Good luck

Not tried double tap but will do.

Tap and hold on these early cars when they are locked just drops the windows if you wait a second or 2 and then in reverse closes them.

I tried the outside door handle yesterday and it just worked, door opened. So maybe it fixed itself. I'm not sure if I should investigate more or just leave it be.

If you don't carry passengers much, I'd leave it until it's warmer (brrr!) but it will carry on doing it until it fails completely. 

I had the same trouble last year with the drivers side one for a few weeks before it failed.  I bought a cheap VW part off ebay which was advertised as being the same part number as mine but it wasn't so had no end of alarm issues and fault codes (if you have a Durametric) and ended up scrambling my good key. 

Try a cheap £25 one by all means but if you have issues, it will be because the unit circuitry is incompatible.  If the unit covers a multitude of part numbers be suspicious, I bought the correct unit afterwards and all my problems disappeared.

2 hours ago, RickLS7 said:

If you don't carry passengers much, I'd leave it until it's warmer (brrr!) but it will carry on doing it until it fails completely. 

I had the same trouble last year with the drivers side one for a few weeks before it failed.  I bought a cheap VW part off ebay which was advertised as being the same part number as mine but it wasn't so had no end of alarm issues and fault codes (if you have a Durametric) and ended up scrambling my good key. 

Try a cheap £25 one by all means but if you have issues, it will be because the unit circuitry is incompatible.  If the unit covers a multitude of part numbers be suspicious, I bought the correct unit afterwards and all my problems disappeared.

Link to correct one you bought?

That may not be of use to you as yours will be different (mine was the drivers door for a start). 

Get the part number off it when you get the lock unit out of the door it.  Make sure you get the same part number (including the suffix).

51 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

That may not be of use to you as yours will be different (mine was the drivers door for a start). 

Get the part number off it when you get the lock unit out of the door it.  Make sure you get the same part number (including the suffix).

My car lives outside in the street so ideally I'd like to have the replacement ready before I start dismantling. Are the proper Porsche parts ridiculously expensive?