www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
mortzz

Happy with my 20 year old car

Hello all just wont to say how happy I am with my 1999 2.7 , I took a massive chance when I bought it as everybody passed on this 986 as the garage had left all History in the front seat and believe it was stolen, unsure why anyone would want it, anyway ive had a lot of quick cars and im from the petrol turbo era, so my 986 is in incredible condition I would describe it as ,,, as new… one owner from new says a lot, and the owner had a lot of money as he traded this in for a £44000 Boxster , this car has evidently been garaged all its life , I looked everywhere around the body and its pristine under the wheel arches and underneath, so the engine is silky smooth the garaged changed the oil, I then changed it for some top quality stuff but what amazes me is after a few thousand miles the oil is not dirty at all looks like new , never seen that before, I think everything on this engine is as it left the factory, the only thing it does wrong is a slight noise on start up which I believe to be the plastic cam chain tensioner as after the initial start up it doesn't do it  , people on this forum have told me to leave it and some peoples engines have done over 150000 and still going with out touching the noisy tensioner , the only thing I may change is the MAF as if its over 20 year old its done well, so it drives spot on , I think the early 986 will soon become classics and think the price of these beautiful timeless cars are ridiculously Low...   I was going to get the IMS done but nearly everyone told me not to bother as the failure rate is so low on these early engines, its never failed a mot and done around 3500 a year … Its a keeper... bought for silly money 

• Like 1

A positive post! Ban him!

Don't touch that IMS on a MY99 car.

What's the mileage?

Enjoy!

• Haha 1

Nice 👍🏻
photos?? :)

funny,

Yesterday I was thinking about posting how excited I am with my 20 year old car. I can't believe its just because of a badge, its so much more. I love its lines and its drive is superb even approaching 180k miles!! I can't wait and hope the chaps are free this weekend to see it roll over to 180k on the Strines giving it the berries ( responsibly, of course!). 

The 986 may well remain the unloved spawn of satan (aka cost cutting accountants) but I still love mine and it won't be long before its joined by another 996 stable mate. Matching set is the way forward for me. Cheap thrills, affordable spills.