www.BoXa.net
Geoffcollyer

Key fob

7 minutes ago, Geoffcollyer said:

My key fob no longer works been quoted £230 anyone know where I can get it done cheaper  or how to fix 

Loads of stuff about this including very recent threads. Just do a search for key.

Eporsche Surrey but would still be near that figure. Has to be coded so no cheap fix.

Just had one done by local OPC £250 after original went through the wash.  As long as you have the blade and the transponder chip inside the original key this is pretty much the price.  If you think it is a button that's stopped working you can got for a £37.50 repair but you'll be in for that and a new one if it isn't successful.  I'll assume you've change the battery already....

• Sad 1

This company is good https://www.keyfobrepair.co.uk/ they fixed mine. If they can't fix it, they refund your money and all you have to pay is postage. I sent my on Thursday and it was returned fixed on Saturday. I believe the fix covers micro switches, water damage, covers etc, worth a punt if you have a spare working key. 

There was also a key reset procedure posted on here a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it.  

• Like 1

Had one last week from my local Indy, £230,.  OPC wanted about £30 more. Works fine, 

I have also used www.keyfobrepair.co.uk for my 986 key that gave up the ghost, sent back repaired with new micro switches and covers. Has worked fine ever since, top result for £35!

4 hours ago, Toddie said:

I have also used www.keyfobrepair.co.uk for my 986 key that gave up the ghost, sent back repaired with new micro switches and covers. Has worked fine ever since, top result for £35!

Did the replacement cover have the Porsche logo on it?

It's normally the button side that needs replacing as the part of plastic you press gets thin and rubbery, Thankfully that part doesn't have the Porsche logo. 👍

• Like 1

@Apollo000  no as @GmanB says it’s the bottom of the case that has the Porsche crest on it. When they did mine they sent the original top of the case back as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toddie said:

@Apollo000  no as @GmanB says it’s the bottom of the case that has the Porsche crest on it. When they did mine they sent the original top of the case back as well.

Ah that sounds ideal as I have one temperamental one with worn buttons - I’ll send that first. The second one works fine but could do with a revamp. I did get two new covers from amazon but returned them as they were poor quality and didn’t click together correctly. 

I has a repair done by these guys as a long shot for a key that was thought to be out of sync (with no code available) as well as a damaged button.  The repair was good and clean but the out of sync was confirmed so could not be re paired with the car alas..  I came back with a complete new case with Porsche logo but the touch and feel of the plastic is inferior and the flexible part over the buttons is stiffer than the genuine Porsche item that I ended up having to buy.  They did return the old case too, which in my case has the silver version of the crest (as does the steering wheel) from 2000 MY cars so was glad to get it back to at least keep the genuine item even if the cover doesn't clip on securely any more.

Another thumbs up for keyfobrepair, I'd definitely suggest giving them a try before spending serious money.

The button part of the key fob can be purchased new from OPC 996 637 351 00 £11.73 plus VAT 3-button fob half

Porsche crest for key fob also available from OPC 996 637 443 00 £7.40 plus VAT

34 minutes ago, Sanky said:

The button part of the key fob can be purchased new from OPC 996 637 351 00 £11.73 plus VAT 3-button fob half

Porsche crest for key fob also available from OPC 996 637 443 00 £7.40 plus VAT

'98 car will be two button, but I guess price will be similar even if part number is different..

On 2/5/2020 at 10:41 AM, chrishak said:

Another thumbs up for keyfobrepair, I'd definitely suggest giving them a try before spending serious money.

I just discussed with Keyfobrepair via email of the repair for my US spec 315MHz key fob repair and answer was, "Yes, we can fix those as well". Needless to say that the non-working keyfob  shipped today for repair. Let's see how it functions after I get it back - hopes are high :)