www.BoXa.net

7 minutes ago, Geoffcollyer said:

My key fob no longer works been quoted £230 anyone know where I can get it done cheaper  or how to fix 

Loads of stuff about this including very recent threads. Just do a search for key.

Just had one done by local OPC £250 after original went through the wash.  As long as you have the blade and the transponder chip inside the original key this is pretty much the price.  If you think it is a button that's stopped working you can got for a £37.50 repair but you'll be in for that and a new one if it isn't successful.  I'll assume you've change the battery already....

• Sad 1

This company is good https://www.keyfobrepair.co.uk/ they fixed mine. If they can't fix it, they refund your money and all you have to pay is postage. I sent my on Thursday and it was returned fixed on Saturday. I believe the fix covers micro switches, water damage, covers etc, worth a punt if you have a spare working key. 

There was also a key reset procedure posted on here a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it.  

• Like 1

I have also used www.keyfobrepair.co.uk for my 986 key that gave up the ghost, sent back repaired with new micro switches and covers. Has worked fine ever since, top result for £35!

4 hours ago, Toddie said:

I have also used www.keyfobrepair.co.uk for my 986 key that gave up the ghost, sent back repaired with new micro switches and covers. Has worked fine ever since, top result for £35!

Did the replacement cover have the Porsche logo on it?

It's normally the button side that needs replacing as the part of plastic you press gets thin and rubbery, Thankfully that part doesn't have the Porsche logo. 👍

• Like 1

@Apollo000  no as @GmanB says it’s the bottom of the case that has the Porsche crest on it. When they did mine they sent the original top of the case back as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Toddie said:

@Apollo000  no as @GmanB says it’s the bottom of the case that has the Porsche crest on it. When they did mine they sent the original top of the case back as well.

Ah that sounds ideal as I have one temperamental one with worn buttons - I’ll send that first. The second one works fine but could do with a revamp. I did get two new covers from amazon but returned them as they were poor quality and didn’t click together correctly. 

I has a repair done by these guys as a long shot for a key that was thought to be out of sync (with no code available) as well as a damaged button.  The repair was good and clean but the out of sync was confirmed so could not be re paired with the car alas..  I came back with a complete new case with Porsche logo but the touch and feel of the plastic is inferior and the flexible part over the buttons is stiffer than the genuine Porsche item that I ended up having to buy.  They did return the old case too, which in my case has the silver version of the crest (as does the steering wheel) from 2000 MY cars so was glad to get it back to at least keep the genuine item even if the cover doesn't clip on securely any more.

The button part of the key fob can be purchased new from OPC 996 637 351 00 £11.73 plus VAT 3-button fob half

Porsche crest for key fob also available from OPC 996 637 443 00 £7.40 plus VAT

34 minutes ago, Sanky said:

The button part of the key fob can be purchased new from OPC 996 637 351 00 £11.73 plus VAT 3-button fob half

Porsche crest for key fob also available from OPC 996 637 443 00 £7.40 plus VAT

'98 car will be two button, but I guess price will be similar even if part number is different..

On 2/5/2020 at 10:41 AM, chrishak said:

Another thumbs up for keyfobrepair, I'd definitely suggest giving them a try before spending serious money.

I just discussed with Keyfobrepair via email of the repair for my US spec 315MHz key fob repair and answer was, "Yes, we can fix those as well". Needless to say that the non-working keyfob  shipped today for repair. Let's see how it functions after I get it back - hopes are high :)

• 2 months later...

I have two keys - one with the remote working and on one without. Both keys work perfectly to start the car. Just wondering if it's worth a punt to send these guys the non-working remote and see if it comes back working properly again. I did change the battery in it but remote still doesn't work. In all probability the key has lost the coding and I have to shell out to have Porsche recode but I reckon it's worth 35 pounds to see if it comes back working properly..

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I have two keys - one with the remote working and on one without. Both keys work perfectly to start the car. Just wondering if it's worth a punt to send these guys the non-working remote and see if it comes back working properly again. I did change the battery in it but remote still doesn't work. In all probability the key has lost the coding and I have to shell out to have Porsche recode but I reckon it's worth 35 pounds to see if it comes back working properly..

If they can't repair it they refund, so you only end up paying for the postage. Good luck. 

I did send my non working key to them, but no success.  The coding had gone, and unless you have the original bar code for that key even an OPC can't recode it.   As the electronics were repaired on mine with a new albeit not as good as OE case, I didn't claim a refund as they cannot control the coding only whether the transponder works or not...

I can't remember where now but someone on here gave me a link to a re-syncing process although in my case this still didn't work.  As long as you have the blade a new head and electronics with programming is about £200 -250 depending which OPC or indy you go to.

On 5/3/2020 at 4:13 PM, GmanB said:

If they can't repair it they refund, so you only end up paying for the postage. Good luck. 

I hope it comes back and works properly again but I guess if it doesn't it means the key has lost the coding (which is sort of what I suspect) and I wouldn't feel right requesting a refund as it's not really their fault. I did change the battery and the key works fine to start the car etc. it's just whenever you unlock the door and you're not quick enough the alarm goes off lol.

The key is on the way back to me so I should have it by tomorrow probably. Will let y'all know how it turns out :)

Ha ha the key just arrived :) So, I guess now I have a reason to try it out and go to the supermarket a bit later. Currently working from home and I can't sneak away from my desk at the minute. I must say I am very impressed though. Mailed it off on Monday afternoon and got it back today. Can't fault them for turnaround speed. They also put a new Porsche crest on the key (no idea what happened to the old one but it wasn't on the key when I sent it off to them). Now, if the remote works properly that would be a real result. Watch this space..

Nope. The key looks good but I'm pretty sure it's lost the coding. Works to start and unlock the car with the key etc but the remote doesn't work. Pity about that. I guess I can eventually have an OPC do it but I don't really need it for now. And besides, the exhaust still has to be replaced so I guess I'll spend money on that rather.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:41 PM, Cheddar Bob said:

Does your insurance cover this? Does it count under lost key insurance etc,?

Probably but I'm hesitant to claim for a lost key. In the last year or so I have claimed for the Boxster (written off after a truck driver took a snooze on the M25), smashed window on my dive truck (no divekit inside at the time thank goodness), and got 3 points on my license (got caught doing 58 mph by the first average speed camera as I was slowing down). Any more claims and my premiums will go through the roof. I'll just live with it for the time being I think.