Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
naim22

Fit 987 Degas/Expansion tank on 986

Recommended Posts

Has anyone ever looked into fitting the 987 degas tank onto a 986 (the black one relocated in the engine bay)

I've not heard of those cracking like the 986 ones do & given the 987 initially took the 986 style degas tank in the boot it got me thinking as to whether they would be compatible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, naim22 said:

Has anyone ever looked into fitting the 987 degas tank onto a 986 (the black one relocated in the engine bay)

I've not heard of those cracking like the 986 ones do & given the 987 initially took the 986 style degas tank in the boot it got me thinking as to whether they would be compatible? 

Took me a moment or two to work this out.  Water system header tank/expansion tank, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the degas tank in a 3.4 Cayman/Boxster & later 2.7 987 cars is in the engine bay:

H6X2lLHUBjQRQiU2.medium

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it not just the Cayman? I thought that was mainly due to access rather than anything else but I honestly have no idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Is it not just the Cayman? I thought that was mainly due to access rather than anything else but I honestly have no idea

My friends 2008 2.7 Boxster has this style degas tank, with the black plastic filler section in the middle of the boot for both oil and coolant.

98710615002_LR1.jpg

I wondered if we could use the existing oil filler & either blank off where the coolant tank is now (requiring engine bay fill only) or maybe run a hose to the new tank location.

The only thing I can see is a piece of bodywork that may get in the way. I'll have to double check but I dont believe my car has a secondary air pump fitted which would normally mount here. It is possible that this is for NAS market only, I am not sure.

The final question would be around the plumbing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't help but think it would be more work and more inconvenience once fitted for topping off etc. verses changing the standard tank every 15 years or so if/when it splits….  Think mine is original at 20 years/96k miles.  That said it will now probably go and fail next week :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Can't help but think it would be more work and more inconvenience once fitted for topping off etc. verses changing the standard tank every 15 years or so if/when it splits….  Think mine is original at 20 years/96k miles.  That said it will now probably go and fail next week :unsure:

I agree, I just wondered whether it was a straightforward mod given 987 cars took both. Have no plans on chopping any bodywork away etc! But it seems like it would be a RoW only mod due to no secondary air injection pump on some vehicles (I know for sure the 2.7 doesn't have one, and I'm 99% sure the 3.2 doesn't either), so I didn't expect to see anything on the US forums

I guess maybe not as someone would probably have done it already

Yes mine is original too, and I suspect it's just starting to fail. I have an unexplained very very slow coolant loss when the car is running, yet the system passed a pressure test. I can't see any leaks in the usual places except some condensation on the boot, but I only just fitted a brand new 04 level cap about 2 months ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, naim22 said:

Yes mine is original too, and I suspect it's just starting to fail. I have an unexplained very very slow coolant loss when the car is running, yet the system passed a pressure test. I can't see any leaks in the usual places except some condensation on the boot, but I only just fitted a brand new 04 level cap about 2 months ago. 

I was getting a very minor leak from the trailing end of the hoses to/from the front left rad  Nothing obvious when stationary but losing 250-500 ml per 500 miles..  Turned out the spring clips had fractures so were applying less pressure.  I got on replaced with a conventional jubilee clip  when I did the hose which was a bit iffy too but the upper one was still leaking after refilling the system it turned out.  It wasn't particularly obvious as it was onto the under tray but the spread of water down the underside car took me back to the source.  Not wanting to do another drain down (and running out of spare coolant) I've fitted a new jubilee over the flare in the pipe over the top of the hose and left the spring clip in position.  No more leak!  I'll do the fix properly if/when I have to change the rads.

Seems a lot of things on the front left or left side in general of the car fail or heavily corrode, brake lines, ABS sensors, a/c/ condensers, rads.  Must be the extra road debris and mud etc on the near side i.e. left in the UK.  I guess it might be the opposite pattern on the continent and in the US...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New o rings on the expansion tank bleeder valve should cure the condensation under the boot lid, and could be the cause of the very slow coolant loss. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see any residue from coolant there and the rest of the area looks dry, but I'm sure it can't hurt to change them

Are those o rings genuine only? I'm sure they aren't pricey but the nearest OPC to me is Solihull, which is quite a way away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, naim22 said:

Are those o rings genuine only? 

I managed to source some from ebay, so ended up with plenty of spares. 

If you pm me your address I'll pop some in the post for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...