www.BoXa.net
hatzo986

Should I buy it? 986 s, 3.2, 2001, 110K KM

Hi All,

I hope to be the owner of a 986 S soon, however I have a few concerns that I just don't know enough about and was hoping I could get a clear answer if that possible.

I checked the car out and superficial mechanically and optically the car is clean. the guy has three Porsches and its the cleanest I've seen yet. looking at front, boots, under the hood area, battery compartment .etc.   Started the car, sounds great, no rattels, ticking or other unusual noises during rev. I used my durametrics software that I bought and stage 1 over revs is 46000/2780h  with total hours of 2800.h and 6/2400 on stage 2 over revs.  ( Keep in mind this is a tip). I don't think im to worried about the stage 1 as he drives his cars, but I would like to know what others think about this point. the other thing that I am concerned about it the -7.5 cam pos 1 deviation.  It stays stable even through rev ranges so I understand that's its not the IMS from what I have read, but more likely to be cam chain wear pads causing the issue.  I do intend to get the IMs and tension pads changed out in about 2-4k km.  

If I was to attempt the wear pads can I do it without dropping the engine, can I get to it from behind the tyre as if I was doing the spark plugs?

Mike

What are you worried about? The value, the price, the condition or something else? 

To be honest. .....I have no idea what your asking......nor have I any idea what your talking about 

If it's a good honest car, low ownership,  fsh,good service records, good mot history,excellent condition etc etc 

Buy it ......or don't ^_^;)

As you haven't stated the asking price/Dealers /private seller, it's difficult for understand the perceived problem or if it's worth buying 

Good luck with your search  

Hiya Mike,

As always mentioned for Porsche ownership a strong service history will have a large bearing for me and will help with resale value and ideally having a good look under the car will help to cement any assessment.

Regarding maintenance on the car a really good book is 101 projects - https://www.bookdepository.com/101-Projects-for-Your-Porsche-Boxster-Wayne-Dempsy/9780760335543

You sound very technical, so as edc mentions above what's your biggest concern at this point..?

What language is this, as I have no idea what you are on about!!

If the car is well serviced, drives good and looks good; is within your budget and you like it, then buy it!

Mike, where are you based? In UK or outside? I ask as your depth of questioning is rare in the UK these days as a 2001 Tip might be worth I dunno £5-6000, and they will sell as non-runners for 2k plus, so few now worry about that level of detail.  If you're based in another country where purchase / resale value is much higher, then your questions are more understandable.

You seem to have good knowledge and have scrutinised the car, not really sure how much help anyone else can give to your decision.

thanks everyone... sorry I wasn't to clear on m concerns, maybe mumbling to myself on the gin..  I guess the bigger concern is the 46,000 over revs recorder on stage one.. Is this really an issue. From what I understand iy mens the cars hit red line very many times but has not gone over it being tip.  Im purchasing this in Greece, 

Edited by hatzo986

Why is it a worry if it has not been over-revved? Even at the limit there is obviously a tolerance factor built in.

thanks Scubaregs,

You start looking at the forums and open more questions that you start with.. so I think you answered my question and the tolerance factor plus the tip will change based on revs and driving style. Im not sure what I was thinking to be honest.. I haven't really spoken to anyone where I am (Rhodes) due to lack of knowledge on the island as was wanting some input.

Thanks heaps

• Like 1

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Have you read stuff like this?

3 ignitions per turn so you can divide your number by 3 already. Stage 1 is up to the rev limiter so nothing to worry about. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hatzo986 said:

stage 1 over revs is 46000/2780h  with total hours of 2800.h and 6/2400 on stage 2 over revs

So is that saying 6 ignitions in stage 2 @2400h when it's run over 2700h, and the link above considers a 50h danger window for stage 2?  Seems like peanuts.

...if I've understood it correctly...

thanks for the link.. interesting point.. 

*** Porsche dealers are advised by the manufacturer to disregard over rev data on all PDK and Tiptronic transmission cars when assessing a car for warranty provision. Consequently a PDK / Tiptronic vehicle with activity recorded as high as Range 6, assuming all other mechanical checks are passed, will be applicable for warranty*** - Accurate as of 2018.

15 minutes ago, hatzo986 said:

thanks for the link.. interesting point.. 

*** Porsche dealers are advised by the manufacturer to disregard over rev data on all PDK and Tiptronic transmission cars when assessing a car for warranty provision. Consequently a PDK / Tiptronic vehicle with activity recorded as high as Range 6, assuming all other mechanical checks are passed, will be applicable for warranty*** - Accurate as of 2018.

You don't sound like a motivated buyer rather one that is looking for excuses not to buy. 

Range 6 is irrelevant to you. 

6 ignitions in stage 2 which is relevant to 986 is just 2 cycles ... Ever in your prospective car. There is as much chance this is an erroneous reading. 

Think about it. At 7500 or whatever rpm you would have to have lightening reactions to allow 2 turns only as it is just a miniscule of a second. 

White one?

Car.gr suggests the price for this kind of car is 10-12k euros, so double the UK value.

Still looks like negligible risk from the above though.

If your this nervous about a car that you say is in excellent condition then Boxster ownership is probably not for you....

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, the baron said:

If your this nervous about a car that you say is in excellent condition then Boxster ownership is probably not for you....

Absolutely this. Porsche paranoia comes as standard!

32 minutes ago, the baron said:

From another perspective...

if your spending hard earned cash on a second hand car, no matter what make or model, its good to be cautious to a point. At some point you have to make a decision based on what you see, what you feel & what your happy with.

Every used car purchase is fraught with concerns and the unknowns but with the great knowledge from the advice above & your own hopefully you can make a good and informed decision that’s right for you with a little knowledge that you are aware of ‘possible’ risks.

good luck On your decision 

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Like 2

Well I didn’t have a clue what you are talking about either but have been educated by this thread! So this car has been taken to the redline 46000 times? Must have been fun!  I think you can over-think this stuff, if it looks right, sounds right and the owner is a genuine enthusiast then that sounds like a minimal and acceptable risk to me.

5 minutes ago, Pacoryan said:

Well I didn’t have a clue what you are talking about either but have been educated by this thread! So this car has been taken to the redline 46000 times? Must have been fun!  I think you can over-think this stuff, if it looks right, sounds right and the owner is a genuine enthusiast then that sounds like a minimal and acceptable risk to me.

Sounds like its been driven like it should 'ie Nicked' 😃

• Haha 1

I'm also slightly confused...does it mean that the engine has rotated 46000 times at the Rev limiter? So if that's 7500rpm it's done  it approximately 4 mins in it's life time?

Or am I totally wrong.

It is 3 ignitions per rpm. 

46,000/3=15,333.

Call that 15,000 engine revolutions in rev range 1. For 986 rev range 1 is 7,200 to 7,800. Arbitrarily, call it 7,500 which means it has spent 2 mins in total in 2780 hours of its run time. 

2 mins = 120 seconds

2,780 hours = 166,800 minutes = 

10,008,000 seconds.

10,008,000/120 = 83,400

So it has spent 1 second in rev range 1 every 83,400 seconds/1,390 minutes/23 hours. 

Now I haven't timed how long it takes to get from 7,200 rpm to 7,500rpm but let's call it 1 second. 

That means it has hit rev range 1 once every circa 23 hours of running. 

Given many of these cars are weekend or fun cars I would venture that that profile of owner would spend 30 mins running the car then hit the rev limiter. Let's say it does so every 30 mins thereafter. 

On that basis this car has led a sheltered life. 

We should have a rev limit competition,  who has the most time on the limit 😁

Edited by Southy

On 2/26/2020 at 8:10 AM, Southy said:

We should have a rev limit competition,  who has the most time on the limit 😁

I know where my money is...………………. mentioning no names.

• Haha 1