www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
petemac

Mayo on the oil filler cap

Drove to the N/east yesterday and on my arrival checked the oil level which was showing a little low on the dip stick, I noticed the oil filler cap had a little Mayo on it (not a lot) my thoughts are that I have recently driven the car during colder weather …...below freezing and only 3 miles to work and back. I am fairly confident it's not a head gasket issue, no over heating no smoke and so on. Has anyone else also noticed this especially in winter months ? my car has only done 58000 miles in 20 years. 

Regards all.

Pete

Could just be condensation if the car has sat for a while during the winter. Check and keep an eye on the water level/colour and oil. Also keep an eye on the water temp. Might just need a good long drive...

General rule of thumb is short journeys especially in cold weather  mayo on the oil cap is to be expected, mayo on cap and on dipstick is bad news any time.

Condensation is my bet, but try and give it a good blast at the weekend to clear out any moisture.

Experienced on both my 986 and 996 without issue.

I'd say 100% condensation if no other symptoms. I get a light misting of mayo underneath the filler cap if not been driven for a week or so at this time of year. If I use it regularly there's none at all. Check coolant reservoir for signs of oil and water mixing but I honestly  think you have nothing to worry about 👍🏻

Thanks for all the replies guys, just checked it this morning all clear no more mayo, looks like my gut feeling was correct.

Take care all.

Pete

12 hours ago, petemac said:

Thanks for all the replies guys, just checked it this morning all clear no more mayo, looks like my gut feeling was correct.

Take care all.

Pete

When I bought my box I checked at the garage and I almost walked away thinking head gasket issues....the guy in the workshop in the garage assured me it was a common thing with these cars and not to worry short journey etc..........5 years on...no mayo...no issues. 

2 hours ago, masterzarlak said:

Does the Boxster have a dipstick??? I thought the only way to check the level was through the dash indicator. Where is the dipstick?

Ta

It’s in the boot top right corner next to the oil and coolant caps.

18 hours ago, masterzarlak said:

Does the Boxster have a dipstick??? I thought the only way to check the level was through the dash indicator. Where is the dipstick?

Ta

You're in later model territory here.  986 has a dipstick still by the oil and header tank fillers top right of the boot.

I have just had a look and yes, there is the dipstick by the filler caps! I have had the car three years and never even noticed that- I've always used the dash indicator to check the level, doh.

Cheers