www.BoXa.net
t-leut

More sound

Hi all,

Very happy with my P986, but I think the sound may be a bit more noisy: a little deeper and louder?

What have you done to create some more roarrrrrr.....

Anything from a cheap addition of two small holes to your existing box, through to bypass pipes on your existing box to whole new systems.  Pick you budget.  Also is it a daily driver, just a weekend toy or are you planning track days?  Some solutions are known to give a lot of 'drone' when at cruising speeds even though they sound nice when you 'exercise' the car and other will trigger noise meters at some UK circuits.

Mate, pop over to Carnewal in Ghent, many happy customers. 

I had the bypass mod done at revolution Porsche in Leeds , no drone on motorway ,just right  lovely  throaty noise , I paid £250 + vat for my 986 last year , 987 is more expensive.   👍 From me for their workmanship and quality  

Edited by S2sam

OP is in Netherlands I believe; Ghent is probably an hour or two down the road!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

OP is in Netherlands I believe; Ghent is probably an hour or two down the road!

Carnewal would be the way to go then I'd suggest!

Yes, for a resident of Holland Carnewal has to be the best option. Lots about it on here and videos on Youtube.

No brainer then if op is in Holland , I didn't notice that , carnewal have a good rep 

Thanks for all the replies. I am based in NL, so Ghent is doable for me ( 2 hr drive ). I will do some research.

However, I have other issues at the moment. Yesterday after a drive of 50 minutes, I was nearly home, my head gasket blew 😣

A huge white smokescreen... so disappointed, this is happening after 3 days after purchase

12 minutes ago, t-leut said:

Thanks for all the replies. I am based in NL, so Ghent is doable for me ( 2 hr drive ). I will do some research.

However, I have other issues at the moment. Yesterday after a drive of 50 minutes, I was nearly home, my head gasket blew 😣

A huge white smokescreen... so disappointed, this is happening after 3 days after purchase

Is it confirmed head gasket?

18 minutes ago, t-leut said:

5 minutes ago, Apollo000 said:

Agree - be sure it’s that. 

Could also be the Air Oil Separator (AOS) I have had one fail on circuit. This almost stopped the session because of the amount of white smoke..... 

The AOS is awkward to replace but definitely not terminal or especially expensive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, map said:

Agree - be sure it’s that. 

Could also be the Air Oil Separator (AOS) I have had one fail on circuit. This almost stopped the session because of the amount of white smoke..... 

The AOS is awkward to replace but definitely not terminal or especially expensive.

My thoughts too - hope its as simple as the AOS.

AOS Failure VERY common, head gasket almost unheard of in my 10 years here. 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, Apollo000 said:

No, not yet. My garage is a bit busy now, I have to wait a while before I can bring her in. Read a lot about the AOS, which causes the same effect of smoke. However, the previous owner mentioned that the AOS has already been replaced.

Guess I have to wait for the right diagnosis... hoping it's 'only' the AOS

Will let you guys know as soon as I know more

@Menoporsche @Apollo000 @map @mid-life

11 minutes ago, t-leut said:

...Read a lot about the AOS, which causes the same effect of smoke. However, the previous owner mentioned that the AOS has already been replaced.

Guess I have to wait for the right diagnosis... hoping it's 'only' the AOS

Will let you guys know as soon as I know more

If the AOS has replaced it is possible that something has worked loose or that the part has simply failed again - they can be very awkward to change and I have a sense that once the factory installed one was changed on my car the subsequent OEM parts have failed on shorter intervals.

Fingers crossed it's something straightforward.

• Like 1

Bypass pipes. Garage did them for £130 and it sounds like an actual PSE. Best mod I've ever done.

Here you go:

Also, see the white smoke? AOS. Get a jubilee extension removal tool and it's quite easy to change. Porsche sell the AOS cheaper than anywhere.

5 hours ago, geraintthomas said:

Bypass pipes. Garage did them for £130 and it sounds like an actual PSE. Best mod I've ever done.

Here you go:

Also, see the white smoke? AOS. Get a jubilee extension removal tool and it's quite easy to change. Porsche sell the AOS cheaper than anywhere.

How does this work with the MOT?

2 hours ago, the baron said:

How does this work with the MOT?

In terms of emissions or sound? It's not that loud, and emissions are absolutely fine. Passed every time.