www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Kennyfin73

Hood change

Looking like I will try and change out the hood on my own. Will obv take old one off but depending on how that goes will determine if I carry on!

After removing the old hood will the "roof" close without the hood. Strange question but I don't have a garage but do have a hard top. Don't want to get caught out incase it rains!

Cheers

Roof is easy to do 8 fastenings in total, plus make sure you disconnect th micro switch on the near side by the B post, easier to do with another pair of hands, save scratching body work taking out and putting back in.

19 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Roof is easy to do 8 fastenings in total, plus make sure you disconnect th micro switch on the near side by the B post, easier to do with another pair of hands, save scratching body work taking out and putting back in.

Slight highjack of thread but I need to change out the foam trays and need to remove the roof how long will it take to do the 8 fastenings roughly?

Thanks 

20. Mins three each side at the front and unbolt the lever arm ( crank arms , 10 mm head bolts )and Mark there position and disconnect the micro switch plug.

14 hours ago, bally4563 said:

20. Mins three each side at the front and unbolt the lever arm ( crank arms , 10 mm head bolts )and Mark there position and disconnect the micro switch plug.

Cool.

I can't see any reason while the hood wouldn't operate as normal without the fabric attached to it. 

I'm guessing you've looked into what's involved, but if it's anything like the mx5 hood I did, then it will probably be much easier to replace with the frame removed from the car anyway. 

Edited by PaulQ

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

I can't see any reason while the hood wouldn't operate as normal without the fabric attached to it. 

I'm guessing you've looked into what's involved, but if it's anything like the mx5 hood I did, then it will probably be much easier to replace with the frame removed from the car anyway. 

I was thinking that may be the best option. Watched a few Youtube vids on how to do it. As long as I take my time it should be ok. 

Plenty time on my hands anyway!!

20 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I would not recommend you undo the 10mm bolt on the adjustable lever arm. 

Instead remove the 5mm Allen screw that holds the arm to the car, this way you do not need to go messing around with any re-adjustment.

I removed one with a glass rear screen this morning and took 5 minutes as I have a done a few before..... :)

4 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

I would not recommend you undo the 10mm bolt on the adjustable lever arm. 

Instead remove the 5mm Allen screw that holds the arm to the car, this way you do not need to go messing around with any re-adjustment.

I removed one with a glass rear screen this morning and took 5 minutes as I have a done a few before..... :)

Not a problem if you MARK the position

6 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Not a problem if you MARK the position

Yes Mr Bally, I did read that in your original post.

The problem with this is that the hood's have to be 'just' in the correct position to work as intended, a mm out on each of those adjusters can make a big difference.

I do not see the point in touching the adjustment if there is no need which in this case there isn't . 

• Like 1