www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Roots

Hardtop Value/Colour

Good Evening, 

You might of seen I posted a few threads regarding the 986, I am now pleased to confirm I have left a deposit to purchase what looks to be a very nice example. The vehicle comes with a hardtop (I offered a price with and without but they would rather it sold with the top.) Due to not really having a use for the hardtop I will be looking to sell this once I have collected the car, as I can reinvest the money back into the vehicle and sort out a few little bits of paint work etc. The hardtop is a different colour to the car, so not sure if anyone knows the colour of it from the photo below? Also the condition of the top seemed good just a few little bubbles of rust where it meets the windscreen. So seeing if anyone knows a value at all? It will come with a floor mounted stand and not sure if the fitting kits are removable but I can also include this if they are. 

I've seen a few hardtops sell on ebay, but this looks to be more of an uncommon colour so just not sure if it hinders the price at all? Also noticed a few "Boxster S" hard tops, so not sure if all 986 tops are the same? 

Thanks in advance 

Boxster Roof.jpg

A lot will come down to the diffrence you are paying with and without the hardtop.

As you don't want it, it really needs to be worth more than you are paying for it to be worthwhile taking it and selling on.

Personally I'd be asking the seller to accept an off without it and let them have the hassle of selling it, unless of course you are getting it dirt cheap.😉

Supposedly they sell for 4-500.

Yours is a special colour so will be difficult to match with another Boxster (unlike obviously black, possibly silver).

Is it zenith blue? Wonder if our latest new member wants it? @Nesva is this your colour and would you like a hard top for the winter?

Edited by Menoporsche

Its confusing, but the deal was originally around £350 difference for the hardtop. Which I thought is a fairly safe amount to try and recoup back. But between our negotiations (prior to viewing the car) he also had someone else interested in the car who viewed yesterday (I viewed today) . He said he would rather sell with the hardtop so now the hardtop will owe me around £400 more than what I wanted to pay for the car without the top. But the price without the top would of been an very good deal in my eyes - but the other person interested was prepared to buy the car with the hardtop at the same price as me. But I was there with the cash so wanted to confirm the sale and close it off. 

Bluff perhaps?

Only you can decide if you want to put £400 into a hardtop with summer approaching.

I did think mine would be less common and take longer to sell, than a usual colour. Which could work for or against it. But at a certain price it's worth someone buying and getting it sprayed so they have a mint condition correct colour top. I didn't want to start negotiations for the hard top over this thread just in case it isn't allowed by admins. But more than happy to speak with anyone who could be interested. 

The guy was too genuine to be bluffing, often I would of thought that. The guy who viewed yesterday he gave until 12 today to decide if they wanted it before letting me view the vehicle. I arrived around 1.30 and he said the guy had been in contact but missed their deadline. He wasn't a salesman of any kind and just wanted a good home for his car to go to. 

I don't mind hanging onto the hardtop, I kind find space to store it. Until worse weather comes around.  

Sorry, are you saying he could have sold the car, with hard top to the other party, but as they had missed their deadline he is now offering it to you?

Sounds iffy to me, when selling a car, cash is king. Fine if you had been willing to buy it there and then, but why would he turn down a guaranteed sale when you weren't? 

I was on my way to view the car when the guy text to say he wanted to make an offer on the car, I was 20min away with the cash. The other guy was 150 miles away, and I presume would of needed to arrange a transfer etc. If the 75 - 80 year old selling the car was playing games he was doing it very well, but the other guy interested knew the situation with the vehicle and that someone else wanted to view etc so lost out. If I was selling a car I would do the same and not play two customers off against each other and risk loosing both sales. In the end it cost me £50 more than my original offer that I made with the hardtop. Which was never formally accepted in the first place when I made the original offer he said "I don't think we are very far apart on price" so knew I might of had to dig a little deeper anyways. 

The situation is hard to explain and I know it could look like sales tactics, but the guy selling couldn't of been more fair when selling it. 

Thank you It looks like it could well be Zenith blue, The last thing I wanted to do is advertise the hardtop with the wrong colour against it. Looking foward to getting more involved in this Forum when I have the vehicle. Also got a private plate I need to figure out how to sell 🤣 

So, are you taking the hardtop, if so what does it owe you?

Its worth £500 everyday and twice that on a Sunday, so you will be fine.

Yeah I'm taking the hard top, theoretically it owes me £400. But that was only from my offers that I made with or without the top. 

Car is a 1999, 66,000 mile 2.5 Boxster - very clean for the year. Couldn't fault the car at all - recent new air con rads full service history, two keys, clutch and some other bits done 15,000 miles ago, 3 previous owners. Well kept example for £4,600 - so my thinking was £400 for the hard top makes it a good buy at £4,200. Has a private plate "Jaz 6880" which might hold some value. So if I could get the car owing £4 I think it would of been a very good deal. 

Might be worth sticking the hardtop on ebay, with the fitting kit and see what interest you get.

Get some pics. up of the car when you get it, we like pics.😃

Sounds like a great buy to me , well done 🙂

Thanks all, hoping to collect in the next week or so. So will examine the hard top properly and get it advertised. Looking forward to 986 ownership 😎

Ed where are you in the country?

The 986 hard tops only fit 986's(not 987's )

Value between £400 to £600

Fitting kits cost £100

Wall mounted storage brackets cost s/h about £100

S/h roof covers about £80

Plastic interior hinge cover £40 s/h

There are members on this forum advertising for hard tops

The ball is therefore in your court 

These are rare enough to make the colour irrelevant as the buyer will get it painted or wrapped in the colour they want

They were nearly  £2000  new!

Edited by stevemag

Thanks for the info Stevemag, if I remove the hardtop and fixings is there anything I need to buy to replace anything as to where these fixings are? Regarding the fitting I know they are 986 only, but I didn't know if they changed at all through the 986 models. I noticed mine looks like it has little handles on the sides and some don't. I'm based in Corby Northamptonshire, I have just recieved a DM regarding the top though, but if you are interested let me know and can keep you posted. 

I’ve only ever bought one hard top.

I paid £350 To a private seller.

i got a fitting kit from prestige salvage in leeds for £30

Maybe others that have bought and sold hard tops could offer some examples of owner/buyer experience?  

@Edroots When I bought my 986S in 2018 it came with it's originally ordered from factory hardtop, I negotiated hard as I really wasn't that bothered about having it on the car (my MX-5 previous had a hardtop that had only been on the car once in 8yrs) and I paid only £250 extra for the hardtop.

Think I sold it for £500 and then the fitting kit an extra £50, so was worth it in the end, sold easily enough via eBay - mine was in perfect order, with no rust or marks at all - yours does look like Zenith Blue, mine was Arctic Silver, so there's more silver than zenith Boxsters, but I'd expect you to get £400-£500 for it, not the ideal time of year to sell a hardtop but you shouldn't lose any money really.

Car sounds good too.

Edited by NicGun

Hard top is one of those things that seems to be advertised quite high at £400-£600 but actually sell from £350. I got one with my previous car. Took it off within the first month of March and later sold it. 

I found sales tend to work in the opposite way to buying a boxster... sell in October/November and buy in the summer...

a lot of people who bought them in the summer then want to have a hardtop for the winter time... then realise they don’t use it or that it takes up too much space when they take it off for the summer... 

Black ones seem to go for £500, As they can go on any colour, other colours less than £400 on average from what I’ve seen... 

keep hold of it til the autumn, you may change your mind and actually want to keep it...

, welcome to the forum I bought  a black one off here with crested cover it's still in my garage , I didn't use it last year but  may use this  year  , I agree with black being the easiest to sell as can go on any car , 986  hardtops normally go for around £400 , but if it has a stand and cover and fitting kit I reckon at least £500 if in decent order , but if you have to add the cost to respray it  soon mounts up , personally I don't think I'll use mine and use the money for a double din stereo upgrade , late summer best time to sell   

17 hours ago, Ed Roots said:

Thanks for the info Stevemag, if I remove the hardtop and fixings is there anything I need to buy to replace anything as to where these fixings are? Regarding the fitting I know they are 986 only, but I didn't know if they changed at all through the 986 models. I noticed mine looks like it has little handles on the sides and some don't. I'm based in Corby Northamptonshire, I have just recieved a DM regarding the top though, but if you are interested let me know and can keep you posted. 

The fittings are behind the shoulder of the seat belts

two fancy bolts each side

I've already got a hardtop in Artic silver to match my car

Good luck