Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Davehods

Wheels and Tyres 986 2.7 width and profile

Recommended Posts

Hi All.

I recently acquired a set of 18 inch wheels for a 986 2.7, they are from a 987.  I am assuming that I should just stick with the 986 18 inch sizes.  I am wondering, as a 265/35 seems ever so wide for a car with circa 220 bhp- will look good though!  Has any one gone down to a 255 with a deeper profile?  If so what size have you opted for.  Obviously, it may be easier to just stick with the 986 sizes, open my wallet and get some Michelin PS2/4s.  I am aware that there is a lot of debate about merits etc of tyre brands and N ratings.

Link should show the old beasty on original 17in wheels

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap2T3qzgZ9r8g8l3T1h5Peb7RBTswA?e=oPqDLy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

255/35/18 is actually near to the original rolling radius of the 225/50/16 tyre than the 265/35/18 so doesn't lengthen the gearing as much (0.7% vs 1.8% for the 265/35).  If you go up a profile you'd need 235/40, but this is still 1/4% bigger, as 245/40 is 2.7% bigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know better than the Porsche engineers, so stick with the recommended sizes.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

I really like those 17" Porsche Classics. I much prefer 17" to 18" esp on a less rigid open top car.

Also I would stick to standard 986 offsets otherwise the car is just going to look wrong. I am very sensitive to incorrect offsets having said that.

All the best

Berni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

255/35/18 is actually near to the original rolling radius of the 225/50/16 tyre than the 265/35/18 so doesn't lengthen the gearing as much (0.7% vs 1.8% for the 265/35).  If you go up a profile you'd need 235/40, but this is still 1/4% bigger, as 245/40 is 2.7% bigger.

To agree with @K.I.T.T., I would add this is sizing information to answer your question, NOT recommendations of what to run...  Unless you are laying down rubber everywhere you'll be using what you chose for may be 3 years or more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 1:42 PM, Davehods said:

Hi All.

I recently acquired a set of 18 inch wheels for a 986 2.7, they are from a 987.  I am assuming that I should just stick with the 986 18 inch sizes.  I am wondering, as a 265/35 seems ever so wide for a car with circa 220 bhp- will look good though!  Has any one gone down to a 255 with a deeper profile?  If so what size have you opted for.  Obviously, it may be easier to just stick with the 986 sizes, open my wallet and get some Michelin PS2/4s.  I am aware that there is a lot of debate about merits etc of tyre brands and N ratings.

Link should show the old beasty on original 17in wheels

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap2T3qzgZ9r8g8l3T1h5Peb7RBTswA?e=oPqDLy

 

I've got 295 wide on the rear...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I've got 295 wide on the rear...

That's 30mm over stock. What width and ET are your wheels and any spacers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

That's 30mm over stock. What width and ET are your wheels and any spacers?

I'll take some photos tomorrow. The tyres on the rear are mental to look at 😁

It came like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

295!  That’s some serious rubber!

Thanks  for the information, I will run standard 986 sizes and may add some spacers to the front as per the other thread which I had failed to notice when I started this one...🧐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 11:30 PM, ½cwt said:

That's 30mm over stock. What width and ET are your wheels and any spacers?

Apologies 265 not 295. I've not had the car long and must have misread the tyre wall.... Still caused some excitement 

 

1 hour ago, Davehods said:

295!  That’s some serious rubber!

Thanks  for the information, I will run standard 986 sizes and may add some spacers to the front as per the other thread which I had failed to notice when I started this one...🧐

Got it wrong chap. 265

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...