www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Davehods

Wheels and Tyres 986 2.7 width and profile

Hi All.

I recently acquired a set of 18 inch wheels for a 986 2.7, they are from a 987.  I am assuming that I should just stick with the 986 18 inch sizes.  I am wondering, as a 265/35 seems ever so wide for a car with circa 220 bhp- will look good though!  Has any one gone down to a 255 with a deeper profile?  If so what size have you opted for.  Obviously, it may be easier to just stick with the 986 sizes, open my wallet and get some Michelin PS2/4s.  I am aware that there is a lot of debate about merits etc of tyre brands and N ratings.

Link should show the old beasty on original 17in wheels

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap2T3qzgZ9r8g8l3T1h5Peb7RBTswA?e=oPqDLy

255/35/18 is actually near to the original rolling radius of the 225/50/16 tyre than the 265/35/18 so doesn't lengthen the gearing as much (0.7% vs 1.8% for the 265/35).  If you go up a profile you'd need 235/40, but this is still 1/4% bigger, as 245/40 is 2.7% bigger.

I don't know better than the Porsche engineers, so stick with the recommended sizes.

• Haha 1

Hi

I really like those 17" Porsche Classics. I much prefer 17" to 18" esp on a less rigid open top car.

Also I would stick to standard 986 offsets otherwise the car is just going to look wrong. I am very sensitive to incorrect offsets having said that.

All the best

Berni

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

255/35/18 is actually near to the original rolling radius of the 225/50/16 tyre than the 265/35/18 so doesn't lengthen the gearing as much (0.7% vs 1.8% for the 265/35).  If you go up a profile you'd need 235/40, but this is still 1/4% bigger, as 245/40 is 2.7% bigger.

To agree with @K.I.T.T., I would add this is sizing information to answer your question, NOT recommendations of what to run...  Unless you are laying down rubber everywhere you'll be using what you chose for may be 3 years or more.

On 5/21/2020 at 1:42 PM, Davehods said:

Hi All.

I recently acquired a set of 18 inch wheels for a 986 2.7, they are from a 987.  I am assuming that I should just stick with the 986 18 inch sizes.  I am wondering, as a 265/35 seems ever so wide for a car with circa 220 bhp- will look good though!  Has any one gone down to a 255 with a deeper profile?  If so what size have you opted for.  Obviously, it may be easier to just stick with the 986 sizes, open my wallet and get some Michelin PS2/4s.  I am aware that there is a lot of debate about merits etc of tyre brands and N ratings.

Link should show the old beasty on original 17in wheels

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap2T3qzgZ9r8g8l3T1h5Peb7RBTswA?e=oPqDLy

I've got 295 wide on the rear...

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I've got 295 wide on the rear...

That's 30mm over stock. What width and ET are your wheels and any spacers?

44 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I'll take some photos tomorrow. The tyres on the rear are mental to look at 😁

It came like it. 

295!  That’s some serious rubber!

Thanks  for the information, I will run standard 986 sizes and may add some spacers to the front as per the other thread which I had failed to notice when I started this one...🧐

On 5/22/2020 at 11:30 PM, ½cwt said:

Apologies 265 not 295. I've not had the car long and must have misread the tyre wall.... Still caused some excitement 

1 hour ago, Davehods said:

295!  That’s some serious rubber!

Thanks  for the information, I will run standard 986 sizes and may add some spacers to the front as per the other thread which I had failed to notice when I started this one...🧐

Got it wrong chap. 265