www.BoXa.net
Ksetch

Battery charging

Hi, 

Our  2003 2.7 986 has not been out for a run since the middle of March and in view of the current situation I put it on a Sorn because i thought we would not be able to use it for some months due to lock down. Anyway I started it up last week and whilst it started the battery seemed to struggle on first turn of the key, so I ran it for 20 mins . In my garage I have a CTEK charger model XS 0.8 which hasn’t been used for 3 years, and never used on the Porsche, so I thought I would condition the battery by using this while it’s sat in it’s garage. In the manual it states that if you are charging the battery insitu the negative connector should be clamped to the vehicle chassis remote from the fuel pipe and the battery. Am I misinterpreting this as in the past I have always attached the black clamp to the negative post on the battery ? Any views on this , if you use one of these where do you connect yours and also how do I turn off the courtesy lamp in the front boot whilst the battery is on charge?

permanently attach the lead to the battery then attach to the charger through the top of the bonnet under the windscreen
you can then leave it there permanently ready to connect if required

JOB DONE!

I thought you could connect the maintainer clamps direct to the battery on a 986?

The 981 has an AGM battery and you shouldn't connect the maintainer/charger to the negative terminal on the battery.  This connects to the ground terminal on the windscreen wiper linkage instead, positive connects to battery positive terminal as normal. 

You could also plug the maintainer into the cigarette lighter socket as most do.