Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
Rav

Critique my thought - wheels

Recommended Posts

So - I have booked my car in to have the wheels refurbished at Pro alloys in Melksham. They did some good work on my Alpina wheels, welding a crack after a I hit a pot hole (cheers Wiltshire Council).

The wheels i have are:

s-l1600.jpg

My thought process went along the lines of keeping the car original. I still have the ambers on, but the radio is newer. I have opted not to go for the diamond cut lips and perhaps have these painted silver with the centres a slightly darker shade of silver. They will also mask and paint the centre caps to match.

So we are all set - booked in for September 2nd, with a rough price estimate of between £450 and £500.

 

UNTIL! - I saw this picture this morning.....

70KftYH.jpg

So a long shot - but does anyone have a set of these wheels that they are willing to part with?

 

What should i do?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://i.imgur.com/py722FX.jpg

How about copying @EXY Sport Designs with the anthracite centres. 

The Carrera Classics are from the facelift car if that makes a difference to you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No comments on originality but I consider your original wheels pretty high maintenance, so if it were me I'd change them.

The pic you have shown is not exactly carrera classics, the centres are different, but I do love the classics, and actually have a pair sitting waiting for refurbishment.  (Patiently...!)  Just watch when you buy as several come from 996 and so the rears are too/very wide for the Boxster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Carreras, especially painted a la Anniversary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

My 2003 S has Carreras and they look superb.

Probably why they were on the car in the facelift brochure.

Really easy to clean too!!

3214F505-8FF4-4737-9276-844256B3CD49.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

I like the sport classic 17" wheels. Not sure how they are to clean though.

Berni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Judgegeorge said:

Hi 

My 2003 S has Carreras and they look superb.

Probably why they were on the car in the facelift brochure.

Really easy to clean too!!

3214F505-8FF4-4737-9276-844256B3CD49.jpeg

Yep these are the ones on my box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the reason you are liking thoughs wheels is the way the cars been set up, it’s lowered, the wheels fill the arches so probably 19” rims, it looks like it’s wearing a body kit on the Sills and It just looks awesome.

Putting those wheels on your car won’t make your car lock like that I’m afraid unless you spend ££ on changing your suspension

Edited by the baron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you mention it, that is crazy low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rav said:

UNTIL! - I saw this picture this morning.....

70KftYH.jpg

The 986 above is part way through a pretty   dynamic transition which accentuates the impression of low. 

To see how these wheel might look on a static 986 see below:

AgUCUeU.jpg

OK it is my car but I reckon these wheels really suit the simpler lines of the original Boxster. 

From another angle:

AeROlaI.jpg

Details:

Car runs lower on a specific geometry.

5mm spacers all round.

The wheel colour is uses a base of GT silver - with a heavy mist of RC5+ pad dust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of your existing wheels - here are another set I have which were finished with a power coated barrel in a silver that replicates the diamond cut colour and the centres in GT Silver with OE GT Silver centre caps. 

Wza6wGj.jpg

They looked fabulous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, map said:

In terms of your existing wheels - here are another set I have which were finished with a power coated barrel in a silver that replicates the diamond cut colour and the centres in GT Silver with OE GT Silver centre caps. 

Wza6wGj.jpg

They looked fabulous. 

Me I think that these are the best looking wheels for that car. I wouldn't even consider changing them. That's a pricey refurb though. 

 

https://www.wheelclinic.co.uk/prices.php

Edited by JonSta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Me I think that these are the best looking wheels for that car. I wouldn't even consider changing them. That's a pricey refurb though. 

 

https://www.wheelclinic.co.uk/prices.php

You say that.. the previous owner paid £800 for a refurb in the rims I have 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Split rims are always more expensive to refurb, some places even refuse to do them 😑

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Alloys quotes me  years ago £600 + £50 for each bolt THEY snapped...I bought one piece wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_3487%202.JPG?raw=1

 

IMG_4021.jpg?raw=1

 

I like them. But I would, wouldn't I! I've since had 'proper' tyres put on it, before the tyre police come knocking......

They were silver when I brought it, but I thought I'd have a change.

But also agree that having had Carrera's on my 996 they were much, much easier to keep clean. These are a 'wheel off job' to clean every time. I've recently sealed them with Gtechnig C5 wheel armour, but they are still not easy. Wouldn't change them though.

AaS

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, allatsea said:

IMG_3487%202.JPG?raw=1

 

IMG_4021.jpg?raw=1

 

I like them. But I would, wouldn't I! I've since had 'proper' tyres put on it, before the tyre police come knocking......

They were silver when I brought it, but I thought I'd have a change.

But also agree that having had Carrera's on my 996 they were much, much easier to keep clean. These are a 'wheel off job' to clean every time. I've recently sealed them with Gtechnig C5 wheel armour, but they are still not easy. Wouldn't change them though.

AaS

 

 

 

 

I quite like the tyre police. They point out quite regularly my saving of money through less than big brand tyres :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...