Jump to content
www.BoXa.net
highsider

Sad news... but...

Recommended Posts

A car hit the side of our Boxster a couple of weekends ago. It is now confirmed as a write-off as the repairs came to over £5k.

However, we have opted to keep the car and make the repairs ourselves as the car it is still drivable and too good to give up.

P123 BXR - #3 - small.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlucky🙁, what’s the extent of the damage. Looks like just a new door from the photo and a respray of that side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless there's something structural we can't see that sounds expensive. You can probably pick up a door from one of the breakers and get it sprayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that doesn't look like 5K worth but I'm aware that there may be hidden damage to the hinges door shut etc.

If you're lucky you may be able to pick up a door in the correct colour from a scrap car.  Worth a call to Douglas Valley Breakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are at least 16 doors on eBay at the moment in various shades of blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - I can't believe the cost! and it has been looked at twice by the insurer. The repair was for a replacement door and respray / blending to the O/S of the car.

I started looking at ebay for doors...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, highsider said:

Yes - I can't believe the cost! and it has been looked at twice by the insurer. The repair was for a replacement door and respray / blending to the O/S of the car.

I started looking at ebay for doors...

How about this one in Zenith Blue? https://www.statusporsche.com/product?pid=Porsche+911+996+Boxster+986+NS+Left+Zenith+Blue+Door+Skin+Shell&sku=22430

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

How much are they letting you have the car back for? Sounds like you will be coming out on top with this one!

All the best

Berni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it worth claiming? As you will now have the stigma of a Cat D Car plus you’ll have an excess to pay and your insurance will go up, I’d just get a new door for a few hundred pounds in the same colour if your lucky, will probably host you less to sort than your excess.

just a thought 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The person who hit me admitted responsibility (good on him). So I don't lose anything - excess or NCB. The claim is direct with his insurance company.

I'll get a door the same colour and replace it. Even with the same colour - there might be a very slight colour tone difference - those kept outside compared to those parked outside in the sun for example.

I got £3.2k from the insurance and that includes keeping the car. That should cover costs of a door and the devaluing of the car with a CAT N against it. 

Edited by highsider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To put that into perspective for you, that’s what I paid for my car 3 weeks ago & it’s of a really decent standard.  I believe there is a categorised car on here for sale for more.
 
I would fix the car, enjoy the car and enjoy the change from the repair, with a huge smile on my face.  It’s a free Boxster, what’s not to like?!  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, highsider said:

I'm not really complaining about it - believe me.

You're well in front. Guy that hit you did you a favour. That's quite a generous insurer you have there compared to some stories I've heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, highsider said:

I got £3.2k from the insurance and that includes keeping the car. 

Wow, no wonder our premiums are so high! :( 

 

 

... :D That is one heck of a result :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good result.  Nice to hear a story of an insurer not taking the proverbial on claim values.

I can't help but think it often costs them more to fight with the resources they must have in place to do the fighting than just come up with the honest values, a bit like renewal premiums too.  Wife just had old insurer offer to drop £80 off a £345 renewal when she notified them she was not renewing and reported her new premium.  Se said 'No, because you obviously didn't give me your best price at your first attempt so were trying to con me.'  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Wife just had old insurer offer to drop £80 off a £345 renewal when she notified them she was not renewing and reported her new premium.  Se said 'No, because you obviously didn't give me your best price at your first attempt so were trying to con me.'  

In one way I agree but in another I don't agree.  All businesses will generally try and charge the maximum for their product they think the market can bear whilst keeping good turnover of the product. Pricing is a complex science for some products with strange human psychological inputs at certain points in the pricing curve.

I expect the insurer to try it on, I expect to call them and say 'really, is that the best you can do?' and I expect them to them find a 10% or so discount out of thin air.  It's a game and one I'm not really worried about playing with them each year.  You'd be surprised with many other business how often a simple 'is that the best price you can do?' will elicit a quick discount for a sale there and then. I've gotten 20% off tiles and bathroom fitting just this year from a major chain just by asking that very question.  Not many people seem to be comfortable with that but it's in my (middle-eastern) blood to like a haggle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst part is they actually believe that the repairs would cost £5k+

Insurance repairers are the ones forcing premiums higher with their ridiculous estimates and repair costs

Anyway, it sounds like it's worked out well for the OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dimebars said:

The worst part is they actually believe that the repairs would cost £5k+

Insurance repairers are the ones forcing premiums higher with their ridiculous estimates and repair costs

Anyway, it sounds like it's worked out well for the OP

It will factor in equivalent replacement vehicle during repairs of a full no fault claim on 3rd party insurer.  How much to rent a Boxster for 2 weeks, £2k? Plus new door etc, plus the strip, prep, repair, respray, reassemble, clean over around 2 weeks in a body shop.  I can see a £5k claim cost there.

We had a 3rd party run into Mrs ½cwt's Alfa 147 several years ago.  Got a phone call, sorry Mr Aslett but we only (as if it was an inferior car...) have an Audi A4 available during the repairs, will that be acceptable?  And then the repairs over ran a week waiting for a part.  Hate to think what the total claim cost was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

It will factor in equivalent replacement vehicle during repairs of a full no fault claim on 3rd party insurer.  How much to rent a Boxster for 2 weeks, £2k? Plus new door etc, plus the strip, prep, repair, respray, reassemble, clean over around 2 weeks in a body shop.  I can see a £5k claim cost there.

We had a 3rd party run into Mrs ½cwt's Alfa 147 several years ago.  Got a phone call, sorry Mr Aslett but we only (as if it was an inferior car...) have an Audi A4 available during the repairs, will that be acceptable?  And then the repairs over ran a week waiting for a part.  Hate to think what the total claim cost was.

Which is another factor contributing to premiums - credit hire rip off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mike597 said:

In one way I agree but in another I don't agree.  All businesses will generally try and charge the maximum for their product they think the market can bear whilst keeping good turnover of the product. Pricing is a complex science for some products with strange human psychological inputs at certain points in the pricing curve.

I expect the insurer to try it on, I expect to call them and say 'really, is that the best you can do?' and I expect them to them find a 10% or so discount out of thin air.  It's a game and one I'm not really worried about playing with them each year.  You'd be surprised with many other business how often a simple 'is that the best price you can do?' will elicit a quick discount for a sale there and then. I've gotten 20% off tiles and bathroom fitting just this year from a major chain just by asking that very question.  Not many people seem to be comfortable with that but it's in my (middle-eastern) blood to like a haggle.

 

Fair point, to someone who would haggle but what about the general population who just roll over and accept not even being aware hey can negotiate?  They just get screwed.  Some areas of business like insurance for the general masses should be like tax.  You pay what is due and you get refunded if you pay more automatically.  Yes it can be competitive on policy/risk so shop around but to only get a lower or higher offer (as applicable) when you tell them they've lost the deal or challenge it in some way is hardly fair on those less inclined to seek a deal it is just profiteering.  Whilst my pension fund holds shares in the big insurers I'm as guilty as the next person that holds their shares....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ½cwt said:

Fair point, to someone who would haggle but what about the general population who just roll over and accept not even being aware hey can negotiate?  They just get screwed.  Some areas of business like insurance for the general masses should be like tax.  You pay what is due and you get refunded if you pay more automatically.  Yes it can be competitive on policy/risk so shop around but to only get a lower or higher offer (as applicable) when you tell them they've lost the deal or challenge it in some way is hardly fair on those less inclined to seek a deal it is just profiteering.  Whilst my pension fund holds shares in the big insurers I'm as guilty as the next person that holds their shares....

I don't agree they are being screwed, they are being asked to pay a set price and they are agreeing to it.  They have other options, they choose not to take them.

I have a mate who runs a retail flower business in a wealthy part of london.  He doesn't label the price on anything and will make up a price on the spot for people depending on how much he thinks they can afford.  He's runs this business for 40 years since he was a kid and is naturally pretty damn good at working people out.  He's a hustler, no two ways about it. His prices can vary by as much as 300% or 400% depending if he thinks you're a Russian oligarch or not.  The other day he was moaning that he thought his builder was charging him too much money and he was convinced it was because he lives in what is known to be a wealthy area.  I said...but it's no differerent to what you do to your customers day in day out, you charge what you think they can afford and what you can get away with.  He went quiet after that realisation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought by law retailers had to display prices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

It will factor in equivalent replacement vehicle during repairs of a full no fault claim on 3rd party insurer.  How much to rent a Boxster for 2 weeks, £2k? Plus new door etc, plus the strip, prep, repair, respray, reassemble, clean over around 2 weeks in a body shop.  I can see a £5k claim cost there.

We had a 3rd party run into Mrs ½cwt's Alfa 147 several years ago.  Got a phone call, sorry Mr Aslett but we only (as if it was an inferior car...) have an Audi A4 available during the repairs, will that be acceptable?  And then the repairs over ran a week waiting for a part.  Hate to think what the total claim cost was.

my claims against 3rd parties involved a Cayman and Boxster as loan cars and one was £250+vat per day...the other IIRC was £300+vat....one for almost 3 weeks, the other 2....

They might only authorise a standard small hatch though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...