www.BoXa.net
Sign in to follow this  
Boxsum

986 air intake

Sorry if this has been covered before but after quite a bit of research and chatting to people who race Boxsters on the track I understand that the air intake snorkel is quite restrictive. I see you can change the airbox to one from a 987 which I'm not keen on doing as I'm not that practical and don't just was to desnorkle on the understanding this just creates induction noise and that you do actually need a tube to direct the air to actually gain some power improvements. What have other people done / used to increase the air flow? I saw this on a site but guess it's been handmade but looks like it would certainly do the job.

Thankyou all

IMG_0930.jpg

Edited by Boxsum

Why do you want to increase the air flow? To gain power? The snorkel mod won't get you more power. You either need a bigger throttle body which then needs a new intake from airbox to TB anyway or the 987 airbox, or both. If all you want is some sound then the desnorkel will do it. 

Hi

I quite like the 986 air intake. It takes cool air directly from the outside, and I guess any modification would no longer do that?

Berni

1 minute ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I quite like the 986 air intake. It takes cool air directly from the outside, and I guess any modification would no longer do that?

Berni

Not at all. 987 airbox takes its feed from the same place. A bigger throttle body also doesn't change the air inlet from the wing.

Thankyou for the replies. I was just on the understanding that if you help the car breath easier and get the gasses to escape quicker it adds power. So by maybe changing the intake and filter and the manifolds/exhaust combined this would help the engine.

Any really noticeable power mod gets quite expensive on normally aspirated engines. Depends what you want to do.  Bigger throttle body with the appropriate large diameter pipework will get some reward and will require a remap for full benefit but beyond that some form of scoop/ram effect on the intake which then starts modifying the external appearance of the car.  A cost effective route to around 14% more power might be an S if you have a 2.7 (your profile doesn't say what 986 you have to start from) along with a closer stacked gearbox to go with it.

Edited by ½cwt

Hi

I can say from experience a remap can work quite well, I haven't had one on my 986, but I had one on my 993 along with 100 cell cats and it worked quite well, especially for low speed pickup which was where I was mainly looking for an improvement.

Berni

1 hour ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I can say from experience a remap can work quite well, I haven't had one on my 986, but I had one on my 993 along with 100 cell cats and it worked quite well, especially for low speed pickup which was where I was mainly looking for an improvement.

Berni

Good point, freeing up the exhaust side can be as effective as trying to get more air in the intake side.

I believe that the only way to get an appreciable power gain is to do the intake/throttle body/plenum/headers/exhuast and then remap.

Doing some parts may net a small gain but unlikely to be noticeable.

If you want a bit more intake noise (it sounds great), I'd recommend the de-snorkle mod which is talked about frequently on here. Basically remove the piece of piping shown in your image and you're done!