www.BoXa.net
MattO89

Steering wheel vibration at speed

I've got a vibration through the steering wheel when cruising at anywhere above 75mph. Depending on speed and road surface it varies, but is always there. I also have a "clonk" over bumps. The clonk over bumps leads me to suspect I need tuning forks (the leading arms at the front). I guess I may also need control arms (the wishbones), but I'm not sure at this point. 

My thinking is that whilst those two might explain the "clonk", they won't explain the vibration through the wheel. I've got new tyres all round relatively recently but there's not a direct correlation with that. I'm thinking it could be droplinks, so plan to get it up in the air and see if they look/feel knackered. Does that sound about right and does anyone have any other thoughts? 

Thanks all!

1 minute ago, PaulQ said:

Try getting the wheels rebalanced. 

That's certainly worth while and cheap. What the car is jacked take a look underneath

Hi Matt, I had a similar issue with my 986. Vibration through the steering wheel at 75mph plus and it tended to get worse the quicker you went. It felt very similar to a wheel out of balance. One well respected Porsche Indy could not sort it. Long story short my local indy JAZ got it right. It was a combination of sloppy wheel balance combined with a poor geo. set up. The difference was night and day when it was put right . I had had both the balance and  geo. checked, but by different garages. Good luck.

11 hours ago, MattO89 said:

I've got a vibration through the steering wheel when cruising at anywhere above 75mph. Depending on speed and road surface it varies, but is always there. I also have a "clonk" over bumps. The clonk over bumps leads me to suspect I need tuning forks (the leading arms at the front). I guess I may also need control arms (the wishbones), but I'm not sure at this point. 

My thinking is that whilst those two might explain the "clonk", they won't explain the vibration through the wheel. I've got new tyres all round relatively recently but there's not a direct correlation with that. I'm thinking it could be droplinks, so plan to get it up in the air and see if they look/feel knackered. Does that sound about right and does anyone have any other thoughts? 

Thanks all!

Read this with interest as I've found this with mine mostly in Europe where yo can cruise a little faster on motorways.  When I first noticed it I had 17" rims and it felt like their resonance speed.  Got the fronts re-balanced and watched closely whilst it was being done, turned out one rim was slightly out of true.  I got this straightened which made it better from my next trip but varied from surface to surface but it was still there but not all the time and by the way, no clonks (a clonk could be a broken spring moving on a spring platform or very worn top mounts. Tuning forks are commonly described as like the click of a snooker ball and drop links tend to rattle rather than clonk over high frequency surfaces). 

For my current trip I have new front top mounts, new front springs, new tyres and on freshly refurbished 18" rims and a geo check and it is still there in the background at times.  I'm now thinking either a damper or tuning forks. 

The problem with diagnosing mine it in the UK is it only shows properly once cruising at 75mph + so you can't really ask someone in the UK to test it legally....

9 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The problem with diagnosing mine it in the UK is it only shows properly once cruising at 75mph + so you can't really ask someone in the UK to test it legally....

Indeed, I believe this was an issue with getting mine sorted. It was really only  annoying on longer trips in Europe where you could, if you wish,  cruise at 80-85 legally, and the vibration made this seem unwise.

Another thing to check would be the alloy wheels, to make sure none of them are buckled.  I had an MR2 T-Bar years ago that had a vibration when I bought it.  When I had it checked out, thinking it would be just a wheel balancing issue, 2 of the alloys on the same side were buckled on the inside edge.  The garage said it looked like the car had driven over a brick or a lump of wood, which had made a flat spot and they couldn't do anything to repair it.  Gave me a good excuse to get a fancy set of alloys, so I didn't mind too much, ha ha!  Might be worth checking anyway.

Here's a gratuitous and unnecessary pic of the car, showing the alloys I ended up getting to replace the damaged ones:

100_1761

:thumbsup_still:

• Like 1