www.BoXa.net

Broken rear screen on 987 insured under glass cover?

I am just in the process of getting insurance quotes for this year's insurance.

Firstly, does anyone know if on the 987 the rear screen is available separately or does it come as part of the soft-top?

Also, does anyone know if the rear screen is covered under the standard glass cover of the policy (£75 excess) or would a broken window be treated as a regular claim?

My admiral renewal has come through and, just like every other company they have bumped up the renewal. This appears to be par for the course for insurance companies. I have phoned them and they have lowered the price but I still want to see if I can get it cheaper

The terms and conditions of the admiral policy says with regards to windscreen damage:

"The following is not covered: for replacement of the hood/roof structure of a convertible or cabriolet car when the glass forming part of it is not repairable."

TIA

I am just in the process of getting insurance quotes for this year's insurance.

Firstly, does anyone know if on the 987 the rear screen is available separately or does it come as part of the soft-top?

Also, does anyone know if the rear screen is covered under the standard glass cover of the policy (£75 excess) or would a broken window be treated as a regular claim?

My admiral renewal has come through and, just like every other company they have bumped up the renewal. This appears to be par for the course for insurance companies. I have phoned them and they have lowered the price but I still want to see if I can get it cheaper

The terms and conditions of the admiral policy says with regards to windscreen damage:

"The following is not covered: for replacement of the hood/roof structure of a convertible or cabriolet car when the glass forming part of it is not repairable."

TIA

Well the glass is not available separately so I guess you can form your own opinion on coverage.

btw the glass in a hardtop is available separately but that probably would not be covered unless the hardtop was supplied with the car when new.

Glass cover is just that. It's to cover a couple of hundred quid. If your rear screen went, and you needed a complete roof, then surely you would claim under the main policy? :huh:

Glass cover is just that. It's to cover a couple of hundred quid. If your rear screen went, and you needed a complete roof, then surely you would claim under the main policy? :huh:

On the basis that Nick_USA has confirmed that the glass is not available separately, then it would be a claim on the main policy. I'm just thinking worst case scenario if it did ever get broken.

Edited by The Caped Crusader

On the basis that Nick_USA has confirmed that the glass is not available separately, then it would be a claim on the main policy. I'm just thinking worst case scenario if it did ever get broken.

Frankly, I've never heard of one going. It may be worth putting the question to someone like K Baggs, as paying a couple of hundred quid for a replacement glass (if an upholsterer can do it) may be cheaper in the long run, than claiming off the main policy.

Edited by Araf

Frankly, I've never heard of one going. It may be worth putting the question to someone like K Baggs, as paying a couple of hundred quid for a replacement glass (if an upholsterer can do it) may be cheaper in the long run, than claiming off the main policy.

The problem is in my line of work it is all too often our cars are vandalised. Haven't had it happen yet - touch wood - but I know plenty have people that it has happened to. :busted:

With you. :( I think they're more likely to key it though. Because of the rag-top cushioning the blow, the rear screen is very difficult to break unless you use an impliment that is readily available, but I won't mention on here.

• 2 weeks later...

Feared for mine last week while parking alongside the fence at work as the local 'stone thrower' sorry council grass cutter went past and showered everything in the car park off the grass up in the air......glad I was sat in my car would of needed a hard hat! :laughingsmiley:

re your insurance, try Aviva via Quidco - for me it was the same price as admiral, and no hassle over the options on my car ! PM me for details about how to do it via quidco if you don't already have an account

• 3 weeks later...

re your insurance, try Aviva via Quidco - for me it was the same price as admiral, and no hassle over the options on my car ! PM me for details about how to do it via quidco if you don't already have an account

Jonnyspin, thank you for the offer. I used to be with Aviva a couple of years ago, however they introduced a very high excess for any repairer you happen to take your car to other than their own approved one. Something I wasn't particularly happy about.

By the way, that's a good spec of boxster you've got there. :thumbsup_anim:

• 3 weeks later...

Someone put a brick through the rear screen on my old facelift 986 a few years ago. It wasn't covered by the glass policy on my insurance and a new hood was required. It cost £1771 all in if I remember correctly.