www.BoXa.net

Roof drain point pics

Hey

has anyone photos of exactly where the roof drains exit the floor on the 981 Boxster , mine are blocked as got the wet seatbelt after a day of hard rain.have put 6mm and 8mm plastic tubing down through the collection pots but can’t get round the bend or maybe it blocked solid,don’t have air as compressors out for service ??

chers

Pulled one side cover and side skirt as the underneath side covers attached to it, poured water down through drains and ran straight through, am thinking air on drain might be the issue as I rarely run it I had it on for an hr the last time I was out,think I heard the cayenne has a hose under dash that pops off, wonder does 981 have similar 

32 minutes ago, boxtastic said:

Have I understood that video correctly?

It is showing water coming from both front and rear; after putting water into the rear only?

Only two drain holes one either side at the rear. What you are seeing is water exiting the rear holes and running along the sill giving the appearance that it’s coming from the front as well. If the car was on a slope to the rear this would not happen 👍

23 minutes ago, boxtastic said:

Ah, mine doesn’t seem to do the run-along-to-the-front bit...maybe it has a partial blockage stopping it from full-flowing to the front :(

Cheers!

As long as it exists out underneath the drain hole your fine👍 Pour water in at the top with the roof in the nearly closed position as in Dazs video and if it exists underneath straight away it should be fine 👍

On 10/22/2020 at 8:23 PM, Ringmaster999 said:

Only two drain holes one either side at the rear. What you are seeing is water exiting the rear holes and running along the sill giving the appearance that it’s coming from the front as well. If the car was on a slope to the rear this would not happen 👍

This is incorrect. There are 2 drain holes on each side of the car adjacent to the hood. Both need clearing, the total is 4

26 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

Hi lofi

can you share the knowledge please 

yes, sorry. I was, um, in the bathroom.  I've had a look to see if I have any photos but I can't find any.  Essentially there is the 'cup' at the rear, which seems to be the one most are familiar with and overflows if it gets blocked.  There is also a hole on either side right at the front of the mechanism.  Actually, this is hard to describe.  I will take a photo later if the rain holds off.

photo

Ok, so open the roof a bit and you will see this 'grill' by the little plastic insert that is immediately behind the door on the top of the rear panel.  If you look through the grills you can see the front hole.  The is different from the cup drain that is further back and 'under' the mechanism.  All four drains go into the side skits and come out either the front of rear holes depending on the angle of the car.  My rear cups were not blocked and the car still had water coming in.  cleaning the front drain sorted it.  Best tool is a trombone cleaner.

Sorry looking at the photo is such a faff.  How can I free up space so I can post photos again?

Edited by lofi
46 minutes ago, lofi said:

photo

Ok, so open the roof a bit and you will see this 'grill' by the little plastic insert that is immediately behind the door on the top of the rear panel.  If you look through the grills you can see the front hole.  The is different from the cup drain that is further back and 'under' the mechanism.  All four drains go into the side skits and come out either the front of rear holes depending on the angle of the car.  My rear cups were not blocked and the car still had water coming in.  cleaning the front drain sorted it.  Best tool is a trombone cleaner.

Sorry looking at the photo is such a faff.  How can I free up space so I can post photos again?

Lofi

i use this uploader, free and unlimited service

https://imgbb.com

Persevered and found the drain holes , drivers side was full of water and explains why my drivers seat belt was wet .Tks Again Lofi as this was worrying me with all the electronics in the foot wells 

Glad you found them all. The passenger side is the rear worry, there is all sorts of ecu type stuff under the seat. They are in little polystyrene ’boats’. It’s as if Porsche knew it would flood as some point

I’m going to have a look for those ‘front’ drains on mine when I get a chance.  I can’t remember seeing any reference to them (I may have missed something?) - just the ones in the tray under the mechanism which have many mentions.  If anyone has clearer photos and exactly how to access and clean the front ones it would be helpful to me and others I’m sure - TIA.

22 hours ago, lofi said:

I’ll do a step by step tomorrow, weather permitting, to help locate the front drain holes beside the mechanism

Id be very interested in this as the information given to me is from OPC tech. No mention at all to there being four drain holes! Two either side just the one that most seem to know about 

Ok, here we go

IMG-9124.jpg

IMG-9125.jpg

Open the roof to reveal the 'front cup'

Closest to the body see the little grill

IMG-9127.jpg

IMG-9128.jpg

Look in that grill - you will find a drain hole protected by a 'plastic crown'

IMG-9129.jpg

Clean this out as well as the cup further back

I really hope that makes sense.