www.BoXa.net

when is the amount of previous owners just too many

hi all

currently looking at a couple of cars Boxter, Cayman, and MX5 (sorry)

found a nice spec cayman 987.1, 2008, 76k with FSH - great spec as it has sports chronology (exhaust & PASM) & heated seats - its a 2.7 with a 6 speed

just had a major service (including coil packs) and all the major things have also been done as follows - 

gear cables at 50k

front coolant pipes at 30k

front to rear coolant pipes, oil separator, tyres, condensers, aux belt plus loads more at 63k - £2.5k in feb 2019

haven't actually viewed the car yet, but from the above the history looks good and shouldn't through any major bills soon

the only thing is that it has 7 owners and i would be the 8th

would appreciate your thoughts 

jim

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm owner 6 on mine. Full service history and condition were more important to me than the volume of owners.

i expect that the number of owners is less important to those of us who participate in these forums where condition is king. But for first time Porsche buyers or general buyers who just want a sports

...like wives and girlfriends (and boyfriends and husbands) its all about the condition surely?  

On a non collectible Porsche of limited value (I have a 987.1 Cayman so I'm not being judgemental here) I really don't think it matters. If it is well presented and well looked after, it wouldn't concern me. I think I'm owner number 6 of mine - previous owners include a lawyer and a gangster rapper. 

Would the plan be to keep long term? If so I don't see a problem, but if you want to shift it on shortly others may well think along the lines you are just now.

44 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Would the plan be to keep long term? If so I don't see a problem, but if you want to shift it on shortly others may well think along the lines you are just now.

the plan would be to keep a couple of years which is about the same time i have kept my 911's 

BTW the price is £12,800 and private - seems about right - i think?

Er - 10-11k?

It's not an S (actually good, against bore score), it's not low miles, and for me it's not a convertible. And several owners already.

Can anyone else say if Cayman of this age hold a premium over Boxster? Years ago they did, but that was just Porsche marketing, I don't know if the effect still holds or it's fizzled out by now.

A year ago it would have struggled to reach 10k IMHO, or at least a Boxster would. But I say, prices do seem to be firming up.

11 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Er - 10-11k?

It's not an S (actually good, against bore score), it's not low miles, and for me it's not a convertible. And several owners already.

Can anyone else say if Cayman of this age hold a premium over Boxster? Years ago they did, but that was just Porsche marketing, I don't know if the effect still holds or it's fizzled out by now.

A year ago it would have struggled to reach 10k IMHO, or at least a Boxster would. But I say, prices do seem to be firming up.

wow i wouldn't have thought as low as £10k tbh - i think the Cayman prices are about 2k above boxsters, so you may be right with £10k on a boxster of this spec - i was thinking more about £11.5, but the seller seems to be looking close to the 12,800

as Scubaregs says though, it may still be worth a low offer 

thought this was a thread about ex-wives for a moment <head slap>

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Stuart21UK said:

thought this was a thread about ex-wives for a moment <head slap>

The answer then, would be one.

31 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

The answer then, would be one.

but too many wives or too many ex-wives?

I've heard it said on sports cars & particularly convertibles, that people tend to buy them, own them for a summer or maybe two then move on. Understandable as they're toys to most owners. It's only when we become enthusiasts & join clubs & forums that we tend to stick with them & look after them.

So given that, I would have little concern on the number of owners & as others have said buy on condition & history of work done.

• Like 1

...like wives and girlfriends (and boyfriends and husbands) its all about the condition surely?

• Haha 2
13 hours ago, jim o'hara said:

wow i wouldn't have thought as low as £10k tbh - i think the Cayman prices are about 2k above boxsters, so you may be right with £10k on a boxster of this spec - i was thinking more about £11.5, but the seller seems to be looking close to the 12,800

From what I have seen recently, the difference between a Boxster and Cayman (like-for-like in year/mileage/etc) is a lot more than £2K.  If I could swap mine for a Cayman plus 2 grand I'd do it tomorrow :P

As others have said though, always worth a cheeky offer.  

10 minutes ago, Davey P said:

From what I have seen recently, the difference between a Boxster and Cayman (like-for-like in year/mileage/etc) is a lot more than £2K.  If I could swap mine for a Cayman plus 2 grand I'd do it tomorrow :P

As others have said though, always worth a cheeky offer.  

thanks davy, and yes i think you are spot on, having looked on line in more detail last night, its more like bloody £3.5/£4k!!

actually one thing i have just realised is that although the car in question is a 2.7, because its a 6 speed it falls into the higher road tax bracket @ £500+ !!!!!!

now in the big scheme of things it may not be a huge difference to the £330 for the 5 speed, BUT i pay enough bloody tax and probably couldn't justify the extra £200 for basically what is the same car as a 5 speed!!!

1 minute ago, jim o'hara said:

thanks davy, and yes i think you are spot on, having looked on line in more detail last night, its more like bloody £3.5/£4k!!

When I've looked recently, the difference has been even more than that mate, which is the main thing putting me off at the moment.  Plus, I spent a shed load of money on maintenance and other bits when I first bought mine, so I feel like getting another year out of the car will even things up a bit :lol:

Just now, Davey P said:

When I've looked recently, the difference has been even more than that mate, which is the main thing putting me off at the moment.  Plus, I spent a shed load of money on maintenance and other bits when I first bought mine, so I feel like getting another year out of the car will even things up a bit :lol:

yeh you are probably right Davy - the boxster is much much more of a bargain - i have have followed your posts on here and very much enjoyed them BTW

Just now, jim o'hara said:

yeh you are probably right Davy - the boxster is much much more of a bargain - i have have followed your posts on here and very much enjoyed them BTW

Ha ha, I aim to please mate :lol:

@jim o'hara on a 12 year old sports car the only flag I'd look for is if the last few have been in quick succession i.e. only months rather than a couple of summers, could be a hidden problem they couldn't find or didn't want to pay to fix.  You might be able to detect the pattern of ownership from the service record if it has a load of receipts with it.  Otherwise fair game. 

• Like 2