Cheap insurance- Tesco Anyone?

Mefster

After saying a reluctant goodbye to my Boxster on Friday we've finally managed to sort out it's replacement; a 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

Before we decided on the Cayenne I checked prices online with our current insurer (Directline). The Cayenne came up cheaper than the Boxster S.

When I phoned Directline to inform them of the change of vehicle, it worked a little more expensive. Couldn't work this out but Directline insisted they couldn't match the online quote over the telephone. What I could do would be cancel my policy (paying a 1 month premium penalty, request a copy of my no claims, then reinsure online!

As it happened, the difference was so great (about £300 pounds) it would still be much cheaper to cancel and then reinsure, Seems like a whole lot of hassle for all involved! Has anyone else ever cancelled a policy and then immediately renewed it on-line?

Started shopping around and noticed that Tesco were cheaper still, coming up about £450 cheaper than my Directline (£626 with protected no claims and £600 XS)

Has anyone here used Tesco in the past and would they recomment or advise against? Any other companies worth trying? (I've already tried M&S, Sainsbury's, Confused.com, Liverpool Victoria)

I have used both Tesco and Sainsbury's as neither wanted a tracker fitted.

I actually had a big claim with Sainsbury's within a months of taking out the insurance, They got the claim sorted within 48 hrs

If I owned a Ferrari or Bugatti (which I don't) I wouldn't hesitate to insure with either again. :rocks:

I just noticed that my quote for insurance with Tesco was a "Tesco Value" policy. I know the Tesco Value Custard Creams aren't up to much but I can't see what the difference between a 'normal' and 'value' policy can be. Anyone got any idea?

I just noticed that my quote for insurance with Tesco was a "Tesco Value" policy. I know the Tesco Value Custard Creams aren't up to much but I can't see what the difference between a 'normal' and 'value' policy can be. Anyone got any idea?

Normal gives you breakdown cover, value does not. There are other add ons missong as well.

Have you tried the AA? They gave me a brilliant quote on my Boxster, a couple of years ago, and are still very competitive.

Just thought, as you are looking at a 4wd, then the NFU may be worth a look.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I've followed up all your leads and done my sums:

Cheapest option is to cancel my remaining Direct Line policy, and take out a policy on-line with Liverpool Victoria. Not the cheapest of all the quotes, but close, and one of the few that doesn't require a tracker to be fitted (which would cost approx £300 to fit, plus £100 a year subs).

Total of £1104.60 FUlly comp with £500 excess, with protected no claims (32 year old driver, no claims, 1 SP30, 5 years no claims, with wife as named driver with no claims or convictions) Cayenne Turbo, park on street outside house in Cheshire.

All in all, not too bad. I'm happy with not having to get a tracker fitted, as if it's nicked, I don't think I fancy getting my car back after some scally has been ragging it around Manchester!

Thats exactly why i wont be going with direct line despie the discounts for house policy and the girlfriends car with them. That and with a tracker they are more expensive than Bell by a country mile anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Mines up for renewal in a couple of weeks so have just been doing the ring around this afternoon. Had some wildly varying figures highest being £1600, lowest today so far of £540.

Im 33, Boxster S Facelift, 16yrs NCB, standard security system and no tracker.

The best for me so far have been, A Quote £540, closely followed by Sainsburys £569 and First Active at £579. All comprehensive with legal, windscreen and protected NCB. Still waiting for Adrian Flux and a few others to get back to me.

Mines up for renewal in a couple of weeks so have just been doing the ring around this afternoon. Had some wildly varying figures highest being £1600, lowest today so far of £540.

Im 33, Boxster S Facelift, 16yrs NCB, standard security system and no tracker.

The best for me so far have been, A Quote £540, closely followed by Sainsburys £569 and First Active at £579. All comprehensive with legal, windscreen and protected NCB. Still waiting for Adrian Flux and a few others to get back to me.

A Plan were good for me last year, but now I am with Admiral.

34y0

7yr no claims

wife on the policy (with 6pts)

£460, £400 XS

def worth ringing around.

Especially as the likes of Direct Line require a tracker !

Adrian Flux with an online quote just come back as £525 so im geting close, they may be able to come down a bit more if I give them a call.

Im now down to around what I expected, I bought the Boxster part way into my current policy so just paid an extra £80 to upgrade. I was figuring on around £500 as that is what last years policy would roughly have worked out at. My current insurer (Elephant) came up with a renewal of £660 hence me shopping around again. Whats the betting that when I ring up to cancel they will match my best quote?

• 2 weeks later...

Admiral quoted me £1400, Performance Insurance were very good (08700 469 027), came back at £720, £75 cheaper than Adrian Flux.

Called Mr Flux and after a bit of searching, they matched it down to £710, including my pending speeding fine from the motorway. Happy dappy doo!!! :bana:

I went with Adrian Flux in the end at £525 all in with protected NCB, £450 excess, £60 window excess, Legal, NCB protection.

Only A-Quote were close at £540 for an equivalent policy, with a Sainsburys and First Alternative at £580. Everyone else was hundreds out.

Elephant refused to match any other offer which suprised me, especially as I have been with them for 4 years now, last year my policy was under £400 for my old Civic Type-R and I swapped to the Boxster S 6 months in for just an additional £80. Another years gone by without a claim so I expected around £500 yet they quoted a renewal of £714 and wont budge. I can understand when it gets to rock bottom and they are all fighting over a small margin but they were way out on this occasion so expected some sort of offer.

Archived