insurance renewal

Dario

Triple-checked the excess, it is £100 total. If we were under 25 a further £150 excess would apply.

Undoubtedly the fact it's a classic policy (10 yr+ car) and low limited mileage has a big effect. An unlimited mileage policy with FJ on the Corrado we previously owned had a £250 excess, and was only £60 cheaper.

The European and breakdown cover (legal protection too) are good features too.

Mazdaman got a vg quote there - more recent car and higher mileage allowance.

Ha. Just went to Confused. Is a £3000 compulsory excess normal? :laughingsmiley:

Sounds extremely high - unless you're under 21 or have some other compromising factor?!

On GoCompare, got quotes with total excesses ranging from £250 to £650 or so, from memory - decided to stick with F-J.

No one will believe this but last year I insured our 3 cars with Admiral Multicar.

Boxster 987 2.7 , Mazda 6 2.3 , Citroen Xsara 2.0.

All my wife and I as drivers SDP & Bus. Fully Comp.

Prices were £188, £211 & £144. for between 10 & 12 months.

I was a new customer so suspect it will be a fair bit higher this year. I put a £1000 excess on each & live in a low risk area.

Hello all - this is my first ever post....and I'm not even a Boxster owner yet (fingers crossed for tomorrow) - but what I have got is an intricate knowledge of insurance (Im the head of motoring at the UK's leading comparison site) - so I'll try and be as independent here as possible

Firstly, all insurance prices have gone up over the last 12 months. Our research shows that on average the typical premium has increased by 36% - this fluctuates between 7% for over 60 women and 51% for 17 - 25 year old. So, you may be lucky and get away with a slight drop in your premium from last year, but typically you will see a price increase.

Now, to get your premiums down the first thing I would advise is go on to the three top comparison sites:

1 Money Supermarket

2 GoCompare

3 Confused.com

now these will all get you a basic quote (ie they dont allow you enter limitations such as limited mileage) but what it will do is get you the best price for a standard policy. I reckon you will get a cheaper price than what you have already.

The next thing to do (once you have your quotes) is play around with them to try and find the best deal - this is not illegal - changing things like your age, convictions etc is illegal.

things to look at are:

have you got the right job title? this can have a big affect on your premiums. make sure its accurate, but there are probably 3 job titles that describe what I do, and they all have 3 different risk ratings.

add an additional driver - potentially one with an equally good or better driving record. Insurance companies assume that with an additional driver they will drive the car 30% of the time. If they have a better record than you then thats 30% of your driving that will be at a lower risk, and therefore lower premiums

be careful about keeping the car in a garage - some insurers actually increase premiums for staying in a garage. Theft of cars is actually quite low, however damage from trying to put the car in the garage, and things in the garage falling on your car when its in there is a little higher! so, try with and without

select your mileage carefully - i know its always said to pick low mileage, but some insurers actually give you a discount for high mileage! they assume that if you drive loads, then you are better at it than someone who only does 5k per year - therefore you get lower premiums.

finally - when you have done all that then you should do the following.......though it kills me to say this, and it means we dont get paid.....but you should check out some of the better cashback sites - quidco and cashback kings

some insurers offer a cash back, so when you have found the best deal through the comparison sites, buy them through the cashback site and get your cashback. some insurers offer £100 cashback - so its well worth it.

all in all, you should be able to get a better deal!

hope that helps.....and hello by the way!

Very interesting info. Especially to garage or not to garage. Need renewal on 05 Merc E500 Sport AMG in next few days. In addition to what you have said it appears that vol excess is a major factor in the calculations. Usually LV come out best for both my cars (03 Box 3.2S is other) and has the bonus of a 5% discount for 2 cars. This is with their default setting of £250 vol excess + £150 compulsory excess. Zeroing vol excess puts LV off the radar. On the other hand driveway as opposed to garage is £6 more.

Also, probably not relevant to most on this site as I dare say not many would be looking for 3rd party only insurance is the fact 3rd party is almost impossible to get with anyone you have ever heard of. I tried just to see the difference on confused.com and most known insurers didn't even appear in the list at all. The best quote was from some Mickey Mouse firm I'd never heard of and was double my fully comp quote!

My quotes for merc + boxster seem cheaper this year which seems to fly in the face of current trends.

Also due is AA renewal. Which breakdown cover do forum members recommend ? I intend Boxing in Euro very soon so would appreciate members experiences and cost effectiveness. LV offer extended fully comp Euro insurance for an additional £20 which I will probably take.

Must go and take hard top off the Box while sun is out!

John B

When I questioned my astronomical insurance (over 1300 pounds) I was told that every area has a theft rating on a scale of 1-12 and it is this that is the highest factor in determining insurance prices (as well as the obvious age/no of years/motoring convictions). Interestingly, doctors, though they are a responsible lot, get charged more. Must be all the crashing into lamp posts the do driving home after night shifts!

Mine due 15/04

me and wife on policy ( 54 & 52), Me-- 2 accidents in 3 yrs one no fault, and one fox hit car but i had to claim on my policy

me also one SP30 in 2008

quotes so far: Wife no claims or convictions

now get this :

Letter from Current provider RAC £651.67

Current provider RAC £554 via confused .com

RAC online direct £542.26

Why so variable from same company???

Quoteonline £746

Liv victoria £556.90

Direct line would not let me get past the tracker fitted screen and as far as i know it has not got one fitted ---so their loss!!

Best quote :

Aviva---£353

inc £250 comp xs £150 vol xs, Guaranteed NCB ( allows multi claims), Legal cover ,Personal accident cover

Daft thing is Aviva is / covers RAC IIRC?

phone call this weekend to Aviva to double check all details okay as submitted and hopefully RESULT! :thumbsup_anim:

Mine due 15/04

me and wife on policy ( 54 & 52), Me-- 2 accidents in 3 yrs one no fault, and one fox hit car but i had to claim on my policy

me also one SP30 in 2008

quotes so far: Wife no claims or convictions

now get this :

Letter from Current provider RAC £651.67

Current provider RAC £554 via confused .com

RAC online direct £542.26

Why so variable from same company???

Quoteonline £746

Liv victoria £556.90

Direct line would not let me get past the tracker fitted screen and as far as i know it has not got one fitted ---so their loss!!

Best quote :

Aviva---£353

inc £250 comp xs £150 vol xs, Guaranteed NCB ( allows multi claims), Legal cover ,Personal accident cover

Daft thing is Aviva is / covers RAC IIRC?

phone call this weekend to Aviva to double check all details okay as submitted and hopefully RESULT! :thumbsup_anim:

That is a result and a half and then some! Sure they haven't left a 1 off the beginning?

I have noted weird discrepancies in quotes from the same insurer. For example LV's letter quote for the Merc was much cheaper than online. Possibly because no opportunity online to make it clear that you already have another car with them and they gave 5% off for that in the letter and £20 extra for Euro fully comp.

Suprised LV will even quote without a tracker wouldn't for me until I got one fitted. You haven't got a live tracker if you're not paying for it as needs re-newing each year unless you paid upfront for a longer contract.

Is the insurance in your name with your wife as named driver or other way round? As your wife has a good record they will assume a certain proportion of the driving will be done by her and therefore lessen the risk. May be best to have her as main policy holder and you as named driver. Might make a difference. Just a thought. Generally having a claim free experienced driver on a policy is supposed to be beneficial so I'm told. Maybe not in the future when they get to grips with women being placed on the same par as boy racers and the rest of us males to avoid discrimination against us. If they are going to have to disregard some unpalatable statistics which is really the basis of all insurance then maybe it could be argued that postcode loading is discriminatory against many. Somehow I don't think that will get through. Mind you our Euro lords may yet surprise us. You must live in a super safe area to get that quote.

Anyway going out now and see if I can find a fox to collide with - seems to have brought you excellent luck.

John Birt the only way to go foxhunting is with a Gun .... not a boxster ...

I am down as policyholder and main driver, its a Sheffield post code so nothing special about that ....

Same info given to all the quotes but the Aviva one is good as it started at £301 then you can add the extras as you need and play with excess very easily

Will post back on here once I have spoken to them tomorrow................

Ref the tracker ----- i think there may be one fitted but its never been confirmed by previous owner but then I am not looking to declare it or enquire about it either as some will then insist its turned on if its there

what you cannot see you don't know about ?

Plus as some say on here if it gets tea leafed then I would rather not have back having been probably thrashed to within an inch of the IMS!!! lol

Well made calls today to existing insurer RAC who are underwritten by Aviva and asked why a £300 diff even though i had opted out of European Cover and Courtesy car being the only diff

Could not explain why but could offer me a £35 reduction !! bringing it from £651.67 down to £616.67

Then cancelled the renewal

Rang Aviva, double checked all cover against original policy , no surprises there as same level of cover etc with Total excess being £50 cheaper than RAC and an additional excess of £200 if i use a non approved repairer--however told that on luxury cars such as teh Boxster that they only use official approved repairers anyhow ( just the same as RAC/Aviva did when I had the fox incident)

so no brainer really --- signed up to switch over when old policy runs out

Nice feeling these days to make a saving on Insurance even against last years figure

2010--2011 paid £441.16 RAC

2011--2012 quoted by RAC £651.67 renewal ( had one claim against Mr Basil Brush the fox)

2011--2012 ACTUAL £353.00 :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

As they say it pays to shop around and sometimes go direct to the insurer as stated by an earlier post

having done the comparison websites

To come though :

MOT middle of this Month ( Thanks to Russ at Pro porsche ) Hopefully no surprises to come

Tax end of MAY

Minor service at OPC Mid May ( cus its still under extended warranty)

Plus looking for Extended warranty for another 2 yrs beginning of June

so the insurance savings will help towards all the above !! :speak_cool:

Archived