How to - 986 Clutch assist spring replacement

T24RES

Finally got round to doing this and I kind of wish I hadn’t now. The net result of spending hours lying on my back across the sill has resulted in me seemingly damaging the part on the clutch pedal itself. It is the part which holds the pin in place. It does not seem possible to fit the new one now. In addition to this, I scratched the wind deflector when removing it, dented the glove box lid and bulkhead (hopefully these come out) and unnecessarily removed bits of carpet and hoses which I did not need to as my car is left hand drive. Should have noticed this but did not check first. The bit I damaged is in the picture, it is the black U shaped part which shows damage at the right side. The pin which holds one end of the spring housing should clip in here. I found it quite hard to remove the old pin and attempting to lever it out with various screwdrivers and increasing force seem to have taken its toll. Hard to take a decent picture looking up into the dash whilst in some agony lying on your back across the sill.

7BF6F1B4-DBC2-4A9C-81C3-DB2FB59568C7

Not sure if ok to drive it without the helper spring mechanism in place? I took it out anyway and the clutch was heavy before but is now even worse!

Has anyone else has struggled here or I does anyone knows how hard it is to fit a new clutch pedal?

Archived