How To: Install Double DIN to 987

NebulaOdyssey

I found the connects facia kit a perfect fit, with no foam pads at all.

But then used the correct Porsche support bracket from the PCM

The centre hole was also the ISO double din size for a Pioneer.

I would suggest your cheap head unit is not an exact ISO double din if you are getting a dremel to the bezel.

I couldn't get on with the Pioneer app radio. I really wanted TomTom Navigation, DAB and a less clunky interface.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone confirm which ISO DIN wiring harness adaptor I will need form my 08 Cayman. The car has a basic sound system so no amp or bose. Think I am going to have a bash at fitting an Pioneer SPH-DA120 myself after being quoted £175 labour by my local car audio firm!

• 4 months later...

I was looking for Double DIN head unit for my old car, after searching a lot on net for better reviews on this but you know what I found this Leroy Simmons this is where I got inspiration to buy pioneer avh x2600bt and truth to be told this forum gave me perfect solution of installation, thanks a lot for such infographic explanation of installing my unit.

• 3 months later...

Just installed my pioneer SPH-DA 120 and it works! Great guide, would never had done it with out the step by step walk though. Only 1 issue is that it doesn't turn off with the ignition ?, I've locked the car and waited incase there's a delay other wise some one please tell me what I did wrong. I'm a bit of a novice with electrics 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a really great write up, thank you! I am trying to replace my CDR-24 to an aftermarket HU, and it needs a feed for Speed Pulse, which after some research is related to VSS.

From the link you added to Pelicans pinout diagram it refers to pin A1 as "Speed dependent Volume Control Input", is this the same as Speed Pulse and could I use this?

• 1 year later...

Another one to say thanks for the write up and pictures. I’ve installed my double din HU I bought from fellow inmate Tony Daniel. Only thing I didn’t do is put a wire in to dim the unit when the head lights are switched on. I couldn’t tell which wire to attach a scotch block connector. Also I read somewhere (can’t find it anywhere now) regarding the - - - - display under the speedo which used to read which radio station was on, I’m sure somebody posted up how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

I found out the other day that it should be the grey wire with the blue stripe - can’t remember how or where I found it but I made a note. If you fancy trying it and letting me know that would be great. Otherwise I will just keep turning the display off at night !

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Apologies for dredging an old thread but looking for some guidance on fitting a new pioneer SPH DA130,DAB head unit to a Bose system. I have the Connects2 ‘plug and play’ wiring harness with the Bose adaptor but I can’t get sound out of it!  The wiring diagrams on both the pioneer and connects 2 are a bit sketchy but most of the plugs can only go in one place.  

I think issue is that the Bose amp isn’t be getting power (or at least not being switched on) - the fibre optic isn’t showing light when the head unit Is on - that said, the wiring diagram aren’t showing a separate switch wire?  

heLp!

Think I might have tracked down the answer - the Connect2 loom has an amp switch cable which needs connecting to a switch cable on the head unit wiring (the pioneer wiring isn’t very clear, but is  has a loose spur cable connected to the antenna power cable) - will try in the morning, but makes sense

• 2 years later...

thanks to this thread, have just finished fitted a kenwood double din to my 987.2. One small nugget of info, if replacing a basic cdr30 with no bose etc, a simple vw quadlock adapter works at 13 quid vs the expensive adapters with the canbus bits. They do struggle to spell volkwagen though 🙂

GpjrEiT.jpg

22 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

thanks to this thread, have just finished fitted a kenwood double din to my 987.2. One small nugget of info, if replacing a basic cdr30 with no bose etc, a simple vw quadlock adapter works at 13 quid vs the expensive adapters with the canbus bits. They do struggle to spell volkwagen though 🙂

GpjrEiT.jpg

How do you get on with picking up "switched power" and "lights on" without a canbus adapter - I didnt think those were available in the standard loom?

40 minutes ago, Paul P said:

How do you get on with picking up "switched power" and "lights on" without a canbus adapter - I didnt think those were available in the standard loom?

Switched power via a separate feed from the fusebox as per the guide on page 1. As for the lights on feed I haven't bothered. I don't know if it has a light sensor or works off the time but it seemed to switch to night mode automatically.