How to: Fog lights as DRL: the Uktinpol 2 hack

drago.d

Only the one's that I've posted about in my running report.

the one's on the left (as you look at the photo) in the photo above.

Guvs.

• 1 month later...

That was quick Paul, I thought that, a very good mod and for only 49p the petrol would of cost more going to maplins the way you drive, get the LED's now and see if you can get at them screws.

Guvs.

I bought these which are CanBus error free, colour temp 6,000K and work great:

http://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-1109-Car-LED-Light-Bulb-27x-SMD-5050-H8-CanBus-WHITE.html

I just fitted a set of these, and they flicker, quite a rhythmic flicker, and ever so slight, but it's visible to me, so I took them back out.

No errors shown, tried with one LED and both fitted in case of an unbalance or the like.

But I've not found a set of HID's ( even those that work in other Boxsters ) that don't flicker in my car either.

Perhaps it's my eyes that flicker :)

If anyone wants to try them, cross my palm with £10 and I'll stick them in the post.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, just done a similar hack to my 2004 3.2S. Hooked up a relay to the wiring behind the light switch so that if ignition is on fogs are on (LEDs). If low or high beam is on fogs are off unless the switch is pulled out in which case they're also on. The relay is off of eBay and accessible from above the driver side heater duct in case I need to pull it for purposes of appeasing Plod or at MOT time.

If anyone wants a How To let me know.

Daz

Daz - please post or PM me a wiring diagram - photo of a drawing is fine. I'd like to set mine up the same.

I bought these which are CanBus error free, colour temp 6,000K and work great:

http://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-1109-Car-LED-Light-Bulb-27x-SMD-5050-H8-CanBus-WHITE.html

I just fitted a set of these, and they flicker, quite a rhythmic flicker, and ever so slight, but it's visible to me, so I took them back out.

No errors shown, tried with one LED and both fitted in case of an unbalance or the like.

But I've not found a set of HID's ( even those that work in other Boxsters ) that don't flicker in my car either.

If anyone wants to try them, cross my palm with £10 and I'll stick them in the post.

drago.d - any flicker on yours? These are much cheaper that others posted on ebay ...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought these which are CanBus error free, colour temp 6,000K and work great:http://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng-1109-Car-LED-Light-Bulb-27x-SMD-5050-H8-CanBus-WHITE.html

drago.d - any flicker on yours? These are much cheaper that others posted on ebay ...

Hi, nope no flicker at all. Perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am always amazed at how you guys are all happy to try such stuff.

I confess that I am scared sh*tless at the thought of evening giving this a go .......

Maybe one day :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is going to be my first mod.

Had to laugh at the Ebay price for these diodes...................100 diodes £1.99 delivered! haha ......... Group buy?? :laughingsmiley:

Will look at the LED fogs also Any further recommendations other than those in the thread?

Yes - they are really cheap :)

One tip - the original instructions said don't cut the cable tie, just move the light switch outer casing out the way. Well ... when I tried that the casing broke off where the cable tie fastened it to the wires. My advice is to get yourself a few very small cable ties and to cut the tie off before you remove the switch casing and then refasten it afterwards.

I am not quite sure how the mod works however I assume that the light switch operates a relay (or relays) for the main lights and the fogs, so the current through the switch (and the diode after the mod) is small. Just to be on the safe side though I replaced the fog bulbs with LEDs before I did the mod in case this wasn't the case as the diode will only handle 1 amp and a 55w 12v bulbs draws almost 5 Amps (each). By comparison the LED bulbs are only a few watts and I bought 2 for less than £15.

Thanks for that tip.

I assume with the diode it is only interacting on the control/relay circuit and is not controlling the power circuit for the bulbs. I still intend to go LED for a brighter whiter light.