Jump to content

How to: Fog lights as DRL: the Uktinpol 2 hack


drago.d
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, fat haggis said:

im going into glasgow today  . so might try and find a maplins 

I bought 10 x diodes at the time on ebay for about 10p and have 8 left.  PM me your postal address and I'll put 3 in the post for you - it's good to have a few spares in case you mess up the bends on the first one.  It took me a couple of goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/03/2016 at 10:51 AM, chipmunk said:

I bought 10 x diodes at the time on ebay for about 10p and have 8 left.  PM me your postal address and I'll put 3 in the post for you - it's good to have a few spares in case you mess up the bends on the first one.  It took me a couple of goes.

no need mate thanks ....

i got my delivery of the diode and some other bits i danced ... 

within 5 mins i had the nob off :bye: and bingo mod done and all working on home setting ........

thank you all ,im chuffed to bits :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Just did this mod in about 10 mins.....I too was worried about getting the ignition barrel out as I'm a bit heavy handed but it came out easy...No force is required.

thank you to Guvs for pointing to this thread and also the note about not forcing it.

i do have a question re MOT tough

 

ive brought these lights, again big thank you to Guvs...he is like my Porche fairy godmother ?, as he put me in Touch with the guy direct and I saved some pennies...

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2008-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-987-Gen-1-SMD-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-UK-/271483022587?hash=item3f35a62cfb:g:5jsAAOxyXzxTGtkr

 

but...the mod works...and the upper section of the light is on in the "Home" position.

the upper LED's go off when the main beam lights are on..but the lower lesser powered section or bar is on too.

would this be an MOT failure as aren't there only supposed to be one main light on at night ?

Edited by villaman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, villaman said:

Just did this mod in about 10 mins.....I too was worried about getting the ignition barrel out as I'm a bit heavy handed but it came out easy...No force is required.

thank you to Guvs for pointing to this thread and also the note about not forcing it.

i do have a question re MOT tough

 

ive brought these lights, again big thank you to Guvs...he is like my Porche fairy godmother ?, as he put me in Touch with the guy direct and I saved some pennies...

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2008-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-987-Gen-1-SMD-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-UK-/271483022587?hash=item3f35a62cfb:g:5jsAAOxyXzxTGtkr

 

but...the mod works...and the upper section of the light is on in the "Home" position.

the upper LED's go off when the main beam lights are on..but the lower lesser powered section or bar is on too.

would this be an MOT failure as aren't there only supposed to be one main light on at night ?

The bottoms less bright ones are "Side Lights" and as in normal cars they stay on anyway when you put your head lights on, and DRL go off when you put head lights on anyway, no problems whatsoever and if you don’t want your DRL on just turn the switch to the off position instead of at the 12oclock (home) position.

Nice to know you done the hack with no dramas, and glad I was of some help.

Guvs .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 24/04/2016 at 2:56 PM, villaman said:

Just did this mod in about 10 mins.....I too was worried about getting the ignition barrel out as I'm a bit heavy handed but it came out easy...No force is required.

thank you to Guvs for pointing to this thread and also the note about not forcing it.

i do have a question re MOT tough

 

ive brought these lights, again big thank you to Guvs...he is like my Porche fairy godmother ?, as he put me in Touch with the guy direct and I saved some pennies...

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-2008-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-987-Gen-1-SMD-LED-DRL-Daytime-Running-Lights-UK-/271483022587?hash=item3f35a62cfb:g:5jsAAOxyXzxTGtkr

 

but...the mod works...and the upper section of the light is on in the "Home" position.

the upper LED's go off when the main beam lights are on..but the lower lesser powered section or bar is on too.

would this be an MOT failure as aren't there only supposed to be one main light on at night ?

These ones on ebay... how easy are they to do? Is it literally swop the units over and fit a diode?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes no prob's and MOT was fine with set up ......................Mine has just passed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the ebay kit come with the diode and instructions ? I see the UK one is £289 and the Taiwan advert is virtually identical but £50 less. Looks loads more modern I think

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The advert states

OEM Fitment and no modifications required ... Plug and Play. DRL activated by the Light Switch, so no additional wiring required.

I don't think they need a diode therefore (probably built into the unit).

I used the 'hack' and a number of people have commented on the lights in a very positive way i.e. thinking they were oem  

PM Guv's to confirm perhaps to confirm the diode situation??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, I got a reply from the seller as follows...

 

Just in the switch, it's side lights for the thin bar (good at night on its own), but for the DRL, pull switch out one click into front fog mode. Looks stunning.

 

So in standard guise they are not really DRL's as the only way to have them on in the daytime is to have the sidelight on and fog light setting out. However, I am sure I am right in thinking that if you combime these with the diode mod they should work with the switch in the home setting?

 

Looking at you @Guvs lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 7:08 PM, Bike Loon said:

Does the ebay kit come with the diode and instructions ? I see the UK one is £289 and the Taiwan advert is virtually identical but £50 less. Looks loads more modern I think

Has anyone bought the Taiwanese version and if so are they as good a quality as the UK version?  @Bike LoonWhere did you see the Taiwanese LEDs listed? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although it states 'Tax Free' for Europe - it also says 'NON-US buyers note: Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility' - import duty would add a few bob ... VAT on £240 would be an extra £48 plus the notification penalty if you didn't pay it up front.  May be best to go for the UK version and then you can also return if you're not happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry lads only now seeing this post.

I'm out in Barbados got here today, in answer to the below @Bike Loon you got it right 

6 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

Ok, I got a reply from the seller as follows...

 

Just in the switch, it's side lights for the thin bar (good at night on its own), but for the DRL, pull switch out one click into front fog mode. Looks stunning.

 

So in standard guise they are not really DRL's as the only way to have them on in the daytime is to have the sidelight on and fog light setting out. However, I am sure I am right in thinking that if you combime these with the diode mod they should work with the switch in the home setting?

 

Looking at you @Guvs lol

I have the contact number of a good UK supplier somewhere fair discount for BoXa.net members, and no hassle with duties i'll try and dig it out later if anyone wants it.

Guvs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Guvs said:

Sorry lads only now seeing this post.

I'm out in Barbados got here today, in answer to the below @Bike Loon you got it right 

I have the contact number of a good UK supplier somewhere fair discount for BoXa.net members, and no hassle with duties i'll try and dig it out later if anyone wants it.

Guvs

yes please :woot:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for you FH (  @fat haggis  ) this is a conversation I had with someone else on here about them.

"I spoke to him about doing a deal for Boxster.net members and he will do them for £115 all in P&P, no tax, no waiting, the other ones I've seen were from Taiwan and I got caught for £38 duty on my rear lights coming into the country, so it is a good deal if you really wont them.

 

His name is Jonathan number is 07779622635 just tell him your off BoXa.net or mention me (Guvs) he only holds a small stock of expensive items."                                   Guvs.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't confirm but if i had to guess i would say 215 not 115 as said a typo, ffs someone ring him I'm not from out here it'll cost me a fortune, :o  :)

Guvs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...