How to: Fog lights as DRL: the Uktinpol 2 hack

drago.d

Thanks FH I've just worked that out after just posting another thread about rear LED's I got mine from Taiwan not Jonathan.

Don't spend toooo much money :lol:

Guvs.

Edited by Guvs

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 4:03 PM, Bike Loon said:

Just done the diode as per the first post, took literally 5 mins. Have ordered a set of the front DRL's from Jonathan, will post pics when fitted :)

Looking forward to seeing them fitted, they will look very modern and if you'r like me I can't decide what setting to have them on !! you'll know what I mean when you get them fitted.

Guvs.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just fitted the diode. Excellent for only 9p. Thanks again for posting good instructions with pictures so even a total amateur like me can do it.

What went less well was that I stretched one leg into the cockpit so I could get eye-level with the switch in an attempt to avoid scuffing the delicate paintwork - didn't scuff the paint but did rip my trousers. :wacko::o:angry:

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Very easy hack.

I did wonder however, is this only for front fogs?  I think the rear looks much better with the lights on though, is this hack supposed to activate any rear lights or just the front???

Hi Zenedge, yes, this hack is for the front fogs only. It allows them to behave just as a factory fitted DRL set-up would; i.e. on without having any other lights on at all.

If you'd like rear lights on too (not rear fogs, though) you can always switch sidelights to On, with or without the front fogs.

I wonder if this mod can be done on the Gen2, utilising the side light strip rather than the fog light itself? :unsure: 

21 minutes ago, drago.d said:

Maybe somebody with a Gen2 should give it a go? :D

I quite agree.  I'm wondering if this hack has been reverse engineered from the factory DRLs on a Gen2 which I think were a cost option.  No doubt the little black box that costs tens of pounds was opened up and found to contain a 50p component.

My only problem with be working out which wires to bridge with the diode. :unsure:  Anyone want to hazard a guess?

25 minutes ago, drago.d said:

Maybe somebody with a Gen2 should give it a go? :D

I quite agree.  I'm wondering if this hack has been reverse engineered from the factory DRLs on a Gen2 which I think were a cost option.  No doubt the little black box that costs tens of pounds was opened up and found to contain a 50p component.

My only problem with be working out which wires to bridge with the diode. :unsure:  Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Good luck with that Ian, @Araf hope the wiring loom on the Gen 2 is the same colours as the Gen 1

might help.

Guvs.

8 hours ago, Guvs said:

Good luck with that Ian, @Araf hope the wiring loom on the Gen 2 is the same colours as the Gen 1

might help.

Guvs.

Not really a help as I'm trying to pick up the sidelight rather than the fog. :unsure: 

11 minutes ago, Araf said:

Not really a help as I'm trying to pick up the sidelight rather than the fog. :unsure: 

I see what you mean, is it just your side lights come on when you have your light switch in the "get you home position" (ie 12oclock) ? thinking about it that's not going to help much as it's the fog lights that come on in the "get you home mode" on my Gen 1 with my aftermarket LED ones, not the side light, I will have to check when it gets dark if the side lights comes on as well as the fog lights, as you only notice the fog lights as they are so bright and they would hide the side lights.

Guvs.

Just checked this morning and in the Get you home mode my side lights and fog lights come on together, that info might help if yours do the same.

Guvs.

This is interesting... been busy with other jobs on the car so I missed this.

Good to know it's not only me that thinks it's better looking with the rears on too... I'm completely useless with electrics or I'd have a go myself, I fear I'd make fire though. 

I'll be watching in anticipation ??

On 4/10/2017 at 5:55 AM, Guvs said:

Just checked this morning and in the Get you home mode my side lights and fog lights come on together, that info might help if yours do the same.

Guvs.

So do mine. ;)