How to: Fog lights as DRL: the Uktinpol 2 hack

drago.d

1 hour ago, fat haggis said:

would any kind soul with a spare  diode  for the fog light mod . could they please post me one on , im sure i had a pair spare but i cant find them  

:D  

Ive got a spare one mate, ping me your address and its yours

• 3 months later...
On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:29 AM, Araf said:

So do mine. ;) 

@Araf Did you get anywhere with this on a Gen 2?

I'd love to have my LEDs on as DRLs, it's crazy that this isn't the case from the factory!

2 hours ago, Gedo said:

@Araf Did you get anywhere with this on a Gen 2?

I'd love to have my LEDs on as DRLs, it's crazy that this isn't the case from the factory!

Yes.  I bought the diode. :lol:   

It's got to wait until after my service, Christmas time, but then I'll see what I can do. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for the recommendation on the LED bulbs.  I ordered last week after reading this thread and fitted on Sunday.  Bright white LEDs look great and while I had bright white side light bulbs already, I swapped them for new at the same time.  Yet to get the diode.

With the side/fog lights out, I also found it was dead easy to slide in home made grills I cut from some race alley mesh and secure with tiny black cable ties.  Satisfying (if cold) Sunday afternoon activity.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2017 at 5:16 PM, 911-32 said:

Thank you all for the recommendation on the LED bulbs.  I ordered last week after reading this thread and fitted on Sunday.  Bright white LEDs look great and while I had bright white side light bulbs already, I swapped them for new at the same time.  Yet to get the diode.

With the side/fog lights out, I also found it was dead easy to slide in home made grills I cut from some race alley mesh and secure with tiny black cable ties.  Satisfying (if cold) Sunday afternoon activity.

So which bulbs did you go for? Are they proper white or a blue hue?

Thanks

Dave

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Dave_4 said:

How comes I can see the photos? Just says “please update your account”

That would be Photobuckets attempt to extort cash out of everyone...

Many forums have lost photos to this fairly recent change at PB. 

There is a hack for Chrome to display photos still - I have not used this and can not recommend it - up to you if you want to install...

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?25628-Photobucket-fix-for-CHROME-users

• 6 months later...
Just now, sanjay987 said:

Would anyone with a spare diode for the fog light mod post to me or guide me where i can buy?

Got mine from Maplins but of course they shut up shop - shame.

At work they got all electronic stuff from RS Components https://uk.rs-online.com/web/. If I hadn't just retired I could have borrowed one for you!

Dave

33 minutes ago, sanjay987 said:

Would anyone with a spare diode for the fog light mod post to me or guide me where i can buy?

Yes, pm me your address and I'll post one to you.

Edited by pgk188
Spelling

• 6 months later...

Many thanks for taking the time to put this up...while having the car apart to fit a new stereo i did this hack and it works perfectly!

BTW If anyone needs any diodes I have a load spare as I could only by them in like a quantity of 10!!

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually got round to doing this myself today. 

Took longer to access the wires than actually cut the diode and push it in. 

Similar to @chipmunk I snapped the casing off as well, but it connector clicked back into the casing and after plugging it back into the switch, it looks like it will hold fine. 

One question though......with the switch left in Home more, when you unlock/lock the car, didn’t the side lights use to come on? 

Edited by chanlon1

1 hour ago, chanlon1 said:

Eventually got round to doing this myself today. 

Took longer to access the wires than actually cut the diode and push it in. 

Similar to @chipmunk I snapped the casing off as well, but it connector clicked back into the casing and after plugging it back into the switch, it looks like it will hold fine. 

One question though......with the switch left in Home more, when you unlock/lock the car, didn’t the side lights use to come on? 

It wasn't too bad for me as I had the lower dash off to do the stereo fit. I did cut the cable tie off as it was too tight to allow the cover to come off....the "Follow Me Home" lights will only come on when the light levels are low besides they are only on for a max of what 30 seconds? :)

Edited by Nick_McUK

38 minutes ago, Nick_McUK said:

the "Follow Me Home" lights will only come on when the light levels are low besides they are only on for a max of what 30 seconds? :)

Ahh that makes sense. I had this idea that they came on each time......

59 minutes ago, chanlon1 said:

Ahh that makes sense. I had this idea that they came on each time......

I dont think they do....never really paid that much attention....I am sure it's only when its dark.